Telephone Scams

Lorraine

This is a first for me. I've read about scammers before in the paper and on the internet, but never have been the "victim" of one.

Received a phone call this morning from a couple of men with heavy accents, one whom I could not understand at all and who handed the phone over to another man, who told me they were from Microsoft Support and that my internet security had been breached and they needed immediate access to my computer. When I asked him to provide his name and telephone number so that I could check this out with Microsoft, he said he would but first I just had to, simply had to immediately, give them access to my computer so that they could help me. I said no and hung up.

Anyone else here ever hear of this happening, or has it happened to you or someone you know?

• Like 3

This is a first for me. I've read about scammers before in the paper and on the internet, but never have been the "victim" of one.

Received a phone call this morning from a couple of men with heavy accents, one whom I could not understand at all and who handed the phone over to another man, who told me they were from Microsoft Support and that my internet security had been breached and they needed immediate access to my computer. When I asked him to provide his name and telephone number so that I could check this out with Microsoft, he said he would but first I just had to, simply had to immediately, give them access to my computer so that they could help me. I said no and hung up.

Anyone else here ever hear of this happening, or has it happened to you or someone you know?

Two days ago I had a screen pop-up saying that I have a virus and contact Microsoft Support to resolve it. I have a MAC.

FAIL !!!!

I just restarted my MAC and it went away. Annoying.

• Like 5

Two days ago I had a screen pop-up saying that I have a virus and contact Microsoft Support to resolve it. I have a MAC.

FAIL !!!!

I just restarted my MAC and it went away. Annoying.

That has happened to me too a few times.

All of a sudden the screen goes blank and this huge red screen appears telling me to call a number immediately. I fell for it the first time (which is how the scammers who called me probably got my number). When I called the number, it said it was disconnected, but that's probably how they collect phone numbers. Anyway, I did the same as you - I shut the computer down and restarted and it went away. The second and third time it happened, I ignored it. Today, a phone call came.

My mother-in-law got a threatening call from the so-called IRS. The poor woman was paranoid for days thinking she was possibly going to jail. We had to keep reassuring her that it was a scam.

That's awful.

I feel sorry for the elderly (not implying your mother-in-law is old - she's probably younger than me .... :unsure: ) who fall for these scams because they can be convincing and catch people off guard.

Edited by Lorraine

I had the same call from them as you, Lorraine, but it was an Indian gentleman...I immediately clocked him and gave him the runaround for ten minutes or so while he desperately tried to get access to my PC so he could "resolve" microsoft issues.....I then hit him with the punchline "Oh, I run Linux, is that ok?"....he went mental, cursing and swearing at me for wasting his time....made my evening :-)
  • Like 8

I had the same call from them as you, Lorraine, but it was an Indian gentleman...I immediately clocked him and gave him the runaround for ten minutes or so while he desperately tried to get access to my PC so he could "resolve" microsoft issues.....I then hit him with the punchline "Oh, I run Linux, is that ok?"....he went mental, cursing and swearing at me for wasting his time....made my evening :-)

Yes, that was him. I thought Pakistan. The first gentleman had a heavy African accent. I couldn't even understand him. Then he handed the phone over to the other gentleman. There was a lot of noise in the background. Lots of talking.

I wanted to put this on here to alert others in case they get a similar call. I'm just glad I didn't fall for it. Really did catch me off guard. I was uncertain what to do, but good sense and my NYC roots took over.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 3

There are some pretty comical guys on Youtube who keep some of the idiots on the phone for a long time.

• Like 1

They just called back.

It's such a pain. Remember the days when the phone ringing would mean a call you looked forward to?

We get the heavy accent people calling about Microsoft security every few months too, and I have a Mac. We have caller ID but it doesn't help anymore as they can make it look like the number is local, somehow. I answer those in case it's a neighbor. Stinkers!

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 2

They just called back.

It's such a pain. Remember the days when the phone ringing would mean a call you looked forward to?

We get the heavy accent people calling about Microsoft security every few months too, and I have a Mac. We have caller ID but it doesn't help anymore as they can make it look like the number is local, somehow. I answer those in case it's a neighbor. Stinkers!

It will cost me $65 to change the number. It may be worth doing just that if this continues.

• Like 1

They just called back.

It will cost me $65 to change the number. It may be worth doing just that if this continues.

It might help, but it might not. They had a story on our news about the fake IRS people saying you owe taxes. Apparently they sometimes just go through and autodial like 412-111-1234, 412-111-1235, 412-111-1236 etc. so that they hit the maximum of phone numbers. Grrrrrr !!!!

• Like 2

They just called back.

It might help, but it might not. They had a story on our news about the fake IRS people saying you owe taxes. Apparently they sometimes just go through and autodial like 412-111-1234, 412-111-1235, 412-111-1236 etc. so that they hit the maximum of phone numbers. Grrrrrr !!!!

Thanks for telling me.

Maybe I'll just keep hanging up on them then and save $65.00.

• Like 2

I keep them on the phone as long as I can. Happens at work more than home though. I keep using excuses to put them on hold and keep checking back with them to make sure they're there. I implore them not to hang up as I need their help to make sure I don't get in trouble with the boss. Good times.
  • Like 9

They just called back.

You can get your number put on the national do not call registry. It won't help with your current situation since they already have your number. But it can help prevent calls like this in the future.

Having a caller ID, answering machine or cell phone can help you to avoid taking calls like this. If you don't know the number then let them leave a message. If they don't then it was more than likely a wrong number or a scam. Don't be fooled by numbers with the local area code. People can pick whatever area code they want now with their smart phones.

• Like 3

We got a new business smart phone at work a few months ago and we have been regularly getting out of town calls on it. They hang up after you answer and give the work place phone greeting. Odds are these are scammers. Once they find out it's a business they hang up right away.
  • Like 1

They just called back.

Thanks for telling me.

Don't answer it in the first place. If you don't recognize the number, aren't expecting a call, or have a name attached to it, let it go to voicemail and if it's someone you want to talk to, you can call them back (didn't see the previous post with the same suggestion).

Something I've done if I feel like having a little fun is answer, "South Precinct, Wilson speaking, how can I help you"? Instant hang up or a "what"?

Edited by Fordgalaxy
  • Like 6

I have a friend that got the scammer IRS call on his answering machine. He called them back and asked them (in a fake middle eastern accent) if they would take several goats for the money he owed. They told him F-you. :LOL:
  • Like 6

This may be worth considering

If it reaches critical mass maybe they will stop.

• Like 4

Both the tax office call and the fake Microsoft calls were very common here. My mother-in-law (aged 85 and computer illiterate) kept getting the Microsoft calls and she doesn't even own a computer. But it got her worried which I find very unfair. And as if "Andrew" from the Tax Office was going to call me on the phone and extort money out of me! I mean how stupid do you think I am. However, the IRS keeps sending me letters saying I owe back taxes. They are just as wrong but I take them seriously.

They just called back.

Thanks for telling me.

Don't answer it in the first place. If you don't recognize the number, aren't expecting a call, or have a name attached to it, let it go to voicemail and if it's someone you want to talk to, you can call them back (didn't see the previous post with the same suggestion).

Something I've done if I feel like having a little fun is answer, "South Precinct, Wilson speaking, how can I help you"? Instant hang up or a "what"?

That's a good idea. I have to get caller ID.

Until then, I'll try the police line on them.

• Like 2