NEW BAND: Billy Sheehan (bass), Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal (guitar), Mike Portnoy (drums), Jeff Scott Soto (vocals), Derek Sherinian (keyboards)

treeduck

Of these I love:

Transatlantic

Liquid Tension Experiment

PSMS

Neal Morse Band

O.S.I.

Flying Colors

All Tribute bands

Like:

The Winery Dogs (especially live)

Twisted Sister

Totally indifferent/no interest

Adrenaline Mob (saw their first ever live show.)

Metal Allegiance

The Shattered Fortress

Avenged Sevenfold

Bigelf

Unknown (but not very optimistic)

Sons of Apollo

• Like 1

There is something with the tone of this bands line up that doesn't sound right. I think its with sheehans bass. I love Billy Sheenhans bass playing, but I think I understand why Myung has the tones he has. There are too many great players competing here. Ron is an exceptional player ( a vid of him xplaining malmsteen's technique is wonderful) as all the members are in this line up, but it still doesnt guarantee exceptional music.

Many go on about Petrucci and dream theater being great. But for me as D.T. went on in their career, their music sounded more and more like exercises in ...well musical exercises, and not expression. Not much soul or feel. This new band seems to have a bit more feel, (not much though), but the tone at the mo seems amiss imo.

This was the problem with Roth's solo band too. Sheehan and Vai are basically the same guy. Great players, but bloodless.

I totally get it. But as a consistent troll, FUCKK VAN HAGAR!

Man, those David Lee Roth solo album tours were EPIC!!!

I loved it when Vai and Sheehan would have their wanker fest on the stage.

"Eat Em And Smile" and "Skyscraper" RULE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLVWkqnN3Ck

http://assets.blabbermouth.net.s3.amazonaws.com/media/sonsofapollopsychoticcd.jpg

"Psychotic Symphony" track listing:

01. God Of The Sun

02. Coming Home

03. Signs Of The Time

04. Labyrinth

05. Alive

06. Lost In Oblivion

07. Figaro/S Whore

08. Divine Addiction

09. Opus Maximus

Edited by treeduck
  • Like 2

I can imagine a double bill of Chickenfoot and Sons of a Pollo. How epic would this be?

Not Chickenfoot! Sammy is a douche nowadays and Satch ran out of ideas about 1992.

I think you missed the joke...

• Like 1

I can imagine a double bill of Chickenfoot and Sons of a Pollo. How epic would this be?

Not Chickenfoot! Sammy is a douche nowadays and Satch ran out of ideas about 1992.

I think you missed the joke...

Oh yeah I didn't read it properly obviously! :doh:

Give us your thoughts on the new song, TD...

It's good, a little bit more straight ahead, probably why they chose it as a lead video.

Are you going to be buying the deluxe 2 disc edition? The second disc has instrumental versions of all the songs on the album.

It's good, a little bit more straight ahead, probably why they chose it as a lead video.

Are you going to be buying the deluxe 2 disc edition? The second disc has instrumental versions of all the songs on the album.

Nah, I'll stick with the standard format. I'm looking forward to this release though, I think it'll have a Falling into Infinity vibe, with more modern tones. I don't think this will be Portnoy's permanent gig he's been longing for since leaving DT though. It's looking more like one of his multiple side projects.

• Like 1

Nah, I'll stick with the standard format. I'm looking forward to this release though, I think it'll have a Falling into Infinity vibe, with more modern tones. I don't think this will be Portnoy's permanent gig he's been longing for since leaving DT though. It's looking more like one of his multiple side projects.

What is his permanent gig? Flying Colors? Winery Dogs? Will he ever get a permanent gig?