NEW BAND: Billy Sheehan (bass), Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal (guitar), Mike Portnoy (drums), Jeff Scott Soto (vocals), Derek Sherinian (keyboards)

treeduck

^^^^^^ i didnt know he did work with OSI

He did, and was under the impression it would be a collaboration between him, Jim Matheos and Kevin Moore, but he felt like a hired gun for a project by the other two. This project was the chance he had to reconnect with Kevin Moore, but it just set them apart even further...MP invited KM to join Dream Theater on stage when they played When Dream And Day Unite in full in 2004, but KM refused. Derek Sherinian and DT´s first singer Charlie Dominici accepted the invitation. I had this on DVD, it´s called When Dream and Day Reunite, and it´s awesome!!!!

• Like 2

I´m sure there´s a more comprehensive list somewhere, but here´s the list of projects he´s been involved with outside Dream Theater:

Transatlantic

The Winery Dogs

Twisted Sister

Adrenaline Mob

Liquid Tension Experiment

PSMS

Sons of Apollo

Neal Morse Band

O.S.I.

Flying Colors

Metal Allegiance

The Shattered Fortress

I left out the tribute bands he´s put together and one-off collaborations with bands he didn´t exactly join (Avenged Sevenfold and Bigelf, for example - he played on full albums by those two bands and toured with Avenged Sevenfold, but was never a full time member). All those bands have awesome moments. My favourite is The Winery Dogs. But he was never able to leave Dream Theater behind 100%, and those bands, while very good, never captured the same audience as Dream Theater. On the other hand, Dream Theater is a more stable unit these days, but their shows have lost the spontaneity that MP brought, the different setlists every night, and they play to a click track now, with pre-recorded backing vocals, which make their shows a bit mechanic. They released two very good albums without MP, and one that´s "controversial", to say the least.

MP has played in 28 albums since leaving DT - four releases per year. Quality over quantity when you think about it, but you gotta admire the dude´s work ethic.

Cygnus And The Sea Monsters!

Pretty soon Portnoy will be in every single band, lol

Mick

Except Rush. Lol

Mike Portannoy to replace Alex Van Halen in upcoming 2018 VAN HAGAR TOUR!!!

SAMMY

EDDIE

MICHAEL

MIKEY P!!!!!

Check it out on BLABBERMOUTH@RUSHHEAD.CON

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

I´m sure there´s a more comprehensive list somewhere, but here´s the list of projects he´s been involved with outside Dream Theater:

Transatlantic

The Winery Dogs

Twisted Sister

Adrenaline Mob

Liquid Tension Experiment

PSMS

Sons of Apollo

Neal Morse Band

O.S.I.

Flying Colors

Metal Allegiance

The Shattered Fortress

I left out the tribute bands he´s put together and one-off collaborations with bands he didn´t exactly join (Avenged Sevenfold and Bigelf, for example - he played on full albums by those two bands and toured with Avenged Sevenfold, but was never a full time member). All those bands have awesome moments. My favourite is The Winery Dogs. But he was never able to leave Dream Theater behind 100%, and those bands, while very good, never captured the same audience as Dream Theater. On the other hand, Dream Theater is a more stable unit these days, but their shows have lost the spontaneity that MP brought, the different setlists every night, and they play to a click track now, with pre-recorded backing vocals, which make their shows a bit mechanic. They released two very good albums without MP, and one that´s "controversial", to say the least.

MP has played in 28 albums since leaving DT - four releases per year. Quality over quantity when you think about it, but you gotta admire the dude´s work ethic.

Cygnus And The Sea Monsters!

That was just a tribute band, much like Yellow Matter Custard (Beatles tribute) and Amazing Journey (Who tribute), so I left those out. But yeah, he put all those together too. And he played in an awesome album by a band called Bigelf, which the world is yet to discover. I saw them open for Dream Theater, and they're incredible, sort of a retro-space rock. Think Hawkwind meets Queen.

Let me know if it's worthwhile. Supergroups are very hit or miss a lot of the time.

I'd say MOST of the time. Everyone involved has side projects here and there, and more often than not, a commitment to a "main" band, so the supergroups only last one or two albums.

Soto was the voice of Steel Dragon in the Rock Star movie. Sheehan was a part of Roth's band and was coveted by EVH for a long time. Thal was in GNR. Let's hope that the band sounds more like them, and less like the atrocity that is Dream Theater.

Really man? Like really?'

Ok not your cup of tea....but atrocity? LMFAO.

Would you prefer "pretentious garbage?"

Schmuck critics in the 70's and 80's said the same exact thing about this incredible power trio from Canada too.

• Like 2

Soto was the voice of Steel Dragon in the Rock Star movie. Sheehan was a part of Roth's band and was coveted by EVH for a long time. Thal was in GNR. Let's hope that the band sounds more like them, and less like the atrocity that is Dream Theater.

Schmuck critics in the 70's and 80's said the same exact thing about this incredible power trio from Canada too.

You think the two bands are in any way analogous in terms of talent or influence? Now it's my turn to laugh my f*cking @ss off.

You think the two bands are in any way analogous in terms of talent or influence? Now it's my turn to laugh my f*cking @ss off.

DT is directly influenced by Rush. And DT is influencing a new generation of young metal prog rockers.....believe me they are.

Do I think they are better or anything like that? No not at all. But they have some seriously amazing albums and songs.

When Rush came out they were dismissed, hell they were dismissed even after Moving Pictures. Shit they were dismissed until it became cool to like Rush in 2007/2008 and they had this surge of popularity in the mainstream because guys like Paul Rudd and Jason Segal championed them in a movie.

My point is your dismissal of DT is highly ironic on a Rush message board.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 3

DT is directly influenced by Rush. And DT is influencing a new generation of young metal prog rockers.....believe me they are.

Do I think they are better or anything like that? No not at all. But they have some seriously amazing albums and songs.

When Rush came out they were dismissed, hell they were dismissed even after Moving Pictures. Shit they were dismissed until it became cool to like Rush in 2007/2008 and they had this surge of popularity in the mainstream because guys like Paul Rudd and Jason Segal championed them in a movie.

yea. that Geddy lee's voice is terrible........long self indulgent sci fi SHIT!!!!

lol

And that's just 2 criticisms they have.

Mick

yea. that Geddy lee's voice is terrible........long self indulgent sci fi SHIT!!!!

lol

And that's just 2 criticisms they have.

Mick

What live Dream Theater packages do you own? Chaos in Motion? Live at Loonie Park?

• Like 1

Well, my opinion is that Rush is a great band, and Dream Theater is garbage. It would only be ironic if I were suggesting that Dream Theater is garbage because they're dismissed by critics. Voicing my opinion that Dream Theater is terrible, which I believe, is in no way less valid because I love Rush. It would be like saying its ironic that I don't like the color blue because I like the color green.

Someday on this board we'll get over this hang up over people voicing opinions without adding "IMO" or the emoji.

Well, my opinion is that Rush is a great band, and Dream Theater is garbage. It would only be ironic if I were suggesting that Dream Theater is garbage because they're dismissed by critics. Voicing my opinion that Dream Theater is terrible, which I believe, is in no way less valid because I love Rush. It would be like saying its ironic that I don't like the color blue because I like the color green.

Someday on this board we'll get over this hang up over people voicing opinions without adding "IMO" or the emoji.

:ebert:

Believe me, I've given DT plenty of chances to wow me, over the last....25 years at least. All the way back to Images And Words, people have been trying to get me into them.

I listen.

I love that they are influenced by Rush, and a lot of other prog/art rock, and metal bands I love.

Apparently, I just don't like what THEY do.

End of story.

And it's not for lack of trying.

• Like 1