NEW BAND: Billy Sheehan (bass), Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal (guitar), Mike Portnoy (drums), Jeff Scott Soto (vocals), Derek Sherinian (keyboards)

treeduck

He said it would be Adrenaline Mob, but quit that band after the second album, saying that he couldn't juggle that and all the other projects he was starting at the time. Then, when the first Winery Dogs album came out he said that was his permanent band, but now they're on hiatus. He's saying now that Sons of Apollo is his permanent band, but I guess, like all his other stuff, it will depend on album sales. I dunno why he wouldn't stick with The Winery Dogs though - it sold well, they're incredible live and were on a good roll after the second album. I guess Richie wanted to continue with his solo career, so they'll resume in 2019.

While we're at it, there will be new albums by Flying Colors and Metal Allegiance next year too, but those are side gigs for him and everyone else involved.

I am really looking forward to this album and subsequent tour. Will no doubt catch these guys on the road in Florida.

I love The Winery Dogs, but this project is a 180 from the more straight ahead rock of Winery Dogs.

This sounds like prog metal deliciousness in the making.

Album digitally pre-ordered on Amazon

I interviewed Derek Sherinian for a Brazilian website (with the help of treeduck to come up with a few questions). The article is here: https://whiplash.net/materias/entrevistas/271468-sonsofapollo.html

I'll post the original transcript in English here in a few days.

• Like 2

Album is out and listening right now.
  • Like 1

Outstanding playing throughout. So many Rush like elements too everyone. Really fun Prog Metal record.

Portnoy has his new Dream Theater here. It sounds great. Some excellent songs and catchy chorus's. A no brainer album to pop in when I want to rock out while driving.

When they tour......I am checking them out. Please come to South Florida.

• Like 3

Pretty mediocre effort. There is a severe lack of melody, the songs suffer too much from the copy and paste effect, and it's clear that this band is missing a great songwriter. It has its moments, but none of it ever comes together.

Exactly my opinion as well. They need a decent songwriter.