Styx - The Mission

Justus_2112

I've seen mixed reviews on this one, but I'll give you mine.

I went to a concert at the Greek Theater in Griffith Park in Los Angeles. The lineup was Don Felder (of the Eagles), Styx, and REO Speedwagon. I was really at the concert to see REO Speedwagon as I had seen them before and loved their show. At the concert they were raffling off a guitar signed by both REO Speedwagon and Styx. All I had to do to enter was buy either REO's "The Hits" or Styx's "The Mission." Since I already owned the REO album, I chose to buy "The Mission" thinking 'It can't hurt to have this.' Don Felder finished playing and soon after, Styx started their show. They walked out to a song that I had never heard before, but could definitely tell was their song, since I knew a couple of their songs already. I would later find out that this song was "Overture" from their new album. The first song they played was an unforgettable way to start a show, I still remember hearing the line: "Light it up let's get this show on the road!" and thinking, 'Hey, I like that.' I was happy to find out that I had that song on CD in my lap later that night.

On my way home from the concert that night, I popped the CD into my mom's car and listened to it for the first time. I loved it.

The opening songs (as 'Overture' and 'Gone Gone Gone' should be played together) are a great, hard rock opening to a concept album, just as good as they opened Styx's act that night. 'Hundred Million Miles From Home' gets into the meat of the album, and expands the idea of a space mission past what is happening on board, and into what is going on with the crew members on board, more specifically the protagonist, given the nickname "Locomotive". The album also makes ties to what is happening on Earth with the people who are affected by this mission in the song "Locomotive." (Locomotive's father's perspective.) 'Radio Silence' is an amazing song that keeps the story interesting, yet still fun and upbeat. The song in itself, I would say, could be comparable to 'Come Sail Away' in its musicality and performance. 'The Greater Good' features a softer tone to the album, and comes full of beautiful vocal harmonies and great lyrical composition. 'Red Storm', set later in the album, keeps the album from becoming less interesting towards the end, something many albums tend to do, by giving an aggressive feel to the story and creating a sense of urgency. Then Lawrence Gowan pulls out his extra four hands and pushes out 'Khedive', a piano solo that is really hard to stop listening to. The album then ends with an anthem-like song 'The Outpost' that is hard not to sing along to, then ties it all back to the beginning of the story with the closing song 'Mission to Mars.' All parts of the album work together to create what I would consider music's best concept album since "Clockwork Angels."

So that's my experience with the album (sorry it was so long...). What do you think of it?

• Like 5

Presto wrote the original thread based on this FIVE STAR recording.

You should read through it.

Greatest STYX album since "Pieces Of Eight."

I agree but i loved Paradise Theater.

anyway great album. no domineering Deyoung......works for me, lol

8/10

Mick

• Like 2

Gowan does indeed have four extra hands.

Love the album, have loved Styx for more than 30 years.

• Like 4

Presto wrote the original thread based on this FIVE STAR recording.

You should read through it.

Greatest STYX album since "Pieces Of Eight."

I agree but i loved Paradise Theater.

anyway great album. no domineering Deyoung......works for me, lol

8/10

Mick

Hahaha! I was jut going with "Pieces Of Eight" because of how progressive "The Mission" truly is.

"Paradise Theater" was my favorite album of all time when I was a kid! The laser etched vinyl, the cool cover. The great easy songs to learn on the drums!

Yes! "Paradise Theater" was one of the first albums I would play along to on my drums!

Then I picked up "Moving Pictures" on vinyl and my life completely changed. My fingers bled trying to play along with it. My drum teacher wanted me to learn some Fleetwood Mac on his headphones. I made him teach me YYZ. Shite, I was 13 years young!!!

Ironically I haven't changed!! I'm 49 now and still play to Rush records everyday! On my Beats!

• Like 3

I've been a Styx fan since Serpent. I downloaded it The Mission and listened to it once. It's fine

But it's not Styx.

I've been a Styx fan since Serpent. I downloaded it The Mission and listened to it once. It's fine

But it's not Styx.

Sure it is.

Sounds like it to me too, lol.

i think he might mean no Deyoung no Styx? which after hearing this record i can say that's bullshit.

Mick

ok i played it again

so.......................

ok it struck me as a little more magical than i first heard it

definitely feeling more convinced by it!

it may just end up a new obsession, who knows!

• Like 1

But it's not Styx.

Sure it is.

i think he might mean no Deyoung no Styx? which after hearing this record i can say that's bullshit.

Mick

Two members from Serpent are dead and a third can't play/tour regularly due to his health. The original state of Styx is irrelevant and has been for a long while.

• Like 1

But it's not Styx.

Sure it is.

Mick

I'm glad he's not with them anymore. Something about his voice that I really did not like.

• Like 1

But it's not Styx.

Sure it is.

Mick

I'm glad he's not with them anymore. Something about his voice that I really did not like.

me either. i could handle their stuff through Pieces of eight Cause he was kept in check. but then he started taking over and the group became absolutly insufferable.

Though Paradise Theater is a great album too.

Mick

• Like 2

But it's not Styx.

Sure it is.

Mick

me either. i could handle their stuff through Pieces of eight Cause he was kept in check. but then he started taking over and the group became absolutly insufferable.

Mick

Paradise Theater is the only Styx album I ever owned.

• Like 1

But it's not Styx.

Sure it is.

Mick

Mick

Paradise Theater is the only Styx album I ever owned.

Have you heard the Grand Illusion or Pieces of eight. you might enjoy thoes.

Mick

• Like 1

hoping for a full album tour....

I second that emotion! :)

if they do that. i hope they film it cause i'd buy a DVD/CD pack of that.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 4