Five Came Back Netflix mini-series

Rushian King

3 parts and close to 200 minutes. It's about 5 directors (Wyler, Capra, Stevens, Ford and Huston) setting aside their Hollywood careers to help in the US government's war effort by overseeing the making of propaganda/documentary films. Contains lots of footage, their own interviews, as well as insights from 5 modern directors (Spielberg, Coppola, del Toro, Greengrass and Kasdan) about how and why the government needed Hollywood's help to sell the war to the American people and how it changed the 5 directors artistically once they came back, having seen what they did. Netflix also has all(?) of the documentaries that the 5 made. http://www.imdb.com/...4/?ref_=nv_sr_1
  • Like 4

I've seen it and liked it a lot. Netflix even has the movies they made for streaming.

I watched Wyler's The Memphis Belle: A Story Of A Flying Fortress http://www.imdb.com/...2/?ref_=nv_sr_6 Fascinating stuff. I've also seen December 7th: The Movie about the bombing of Pearl Harbor a long time ago although I don't remember if it was the severely edited by John Ford version or the fully restored original version which was edited together by Gregg Toland and was seen as extremely offensive/racist at the time and not released to the public until years after. Edited by Rushian King

I especially liked the interviews with the directors as to what they thought about WW2 and how it changed them.

Ford was hit with shrapnel and Wyler got permanent hearing loss. Stevens overseeing filming of the liberation of the concentration camps was an important part of the Nuremberg Trials. Interesting that the full scope of the damage at Pearl Harbor wasn't told to the public or that the worst of what Ford's crew filmed on D-Day was never released (and I believe is presumed lost now).