Prog/hard rock era or synth/new wave era?

Texas King

Prog/hard rock era OR synth/new wave era?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Prog/hard rock era OR synth/new wave era?

• Prog/hard rock era (albums: FBN, COS, 2112, AFTK and Hemispheres)
    • Synth/new wave era (albums: Signals, P/G, PoW and HYF)
    • Tie

No Permanent Waves and no Moving Pictures in this poll! Those two albums are somewhere in between.

Pick a side between these two. If you're undecided you have also "tie" as the option.

For me prog/hard rock era all the way, though I dig synthy stuff, except HYF.

• Like 1

Can't decide ,love both eras. :huh:

COS pushes the seventies stuff over the edge here, but here's my ranking.

AFTK

Signals

PoW

CoS

GuP / Hems

HYF

FBN

you forgot the epic 'overcooked production' era of Vapor Trails, Snakes and Clockwork.

Oh and Feedback... :eyeroll:

Edited by HemiBeers

TIE!

I would take the PROG ERA over the SYNTH ERA in a New York Minute! God I hate that Don Henley song! Anyway, I admit when I was just a teen Analog Kid I hated "Signals." But I learned to love it all.

I'm a RUSH whore I suppose.

I love everything up to Counterparts.

Rush in the 80s is what made me fall in love with them. If I want prog I usually don't go to Rush first. I have Van der graaf generator, porcupine tree, gentle giant and the like for that. I think the atmosphere and dynamics of the later 80s material (Power Windows + Hold Your Fire) are some of the best stuff I've ever heard in that department. If I want heavy, I don't go to Rush. I'm a black metal fan and musician, so the early Rush isn't my go to for it. Same with prog. I felt like Rush hit their prime in the 80s.
  • Like 1

Rush in the 80s is what made me fall in love with them. If I want prog I usually don't go to Rush first. I have Van der graaf generator, porcupine tree, gentle giant and the like for that. I think the atmosphere and dynamics of the later 80s material (Power Windows + Hold Your Fire) are some of the best stuff I've ever heard in that department. If I want heavy, I don't go to Rush. I'm a black metal fan and musician, so the early Rush isn't my go to for it. Same with prog. I felt like Rush hit their prime in the 80s.

I'm just glad to hear you know who Van der Graaf Generator and Gentle Giant are. :P How about Camel?

Although I disagree for myself personally since I'm a big prog fan and actually like that era of the band I do respect your opinion. I think the eighties era is very interesting and enjoyable. Unfortunately at the time they lost a lot of their older fans. I suppose you could say the same about Yes and Genesis though. For some reason Rush will always be to many(if not most)a hard rock or semi metal band which is a shame because as well all know there's more to the band than just their heavy elements.

Big thumbs up for Van Der Graaf Generator and Gentle Giant although they could be difficult at times and Camel I just love.The Snow Goose is lovely .Andy Latimer is a very underrated guitarist.

I listen to Signals, P/G, PoW and HYF a hell of a lot more than FBN, COS, 2112, AFTK and yes even Hemispheres.

A hell of a lot more.

• Like 1