What are the Most Disappointing Movie Sequels? [part 2s ONLY]

JohnnyBlaze

Curious about the opposite direction  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which ones were better than their originals?

Sure, not all sequels can be as good as Aliens, Terminator 2, Dark Knight, Toy Story 2, Wrath of Khan, or Godfather 2 but they should at least be within the ball park of their predecessor. Or at least decent enough (ex: Rocky 2 or Magnum Force) to not be total jokes.

Of part 2s ONLY (ex: Indy Jones & Kingdom of the Crystal Skull doesn't count for this thread) what are the most disappointing sequels you've seen? And I'm talking about movies in which the drop in quality from part 1 is so huge that you can hardly believe it's a sequel.

Also, what do you think could've improved the sequel? If you can, be as specific as possible.

I'll be back to discuss my own choices later.

:blaze:

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

Back in the day when I first saw Aliens I was disappointed with it because I thought it was too action-orientated and I thought they made the aliens too disposable and easy to kill. It's grown on me over the years though and I appreciate it for what it is now and it is a classic of the genre but different from the original which I do still rate above it.
  • Like 1

Jaws 2 was bad!

Besides not being made, how could Jaws 2 have been improved?

Well like most sequels they fail to bring back most of the original cast or in this case replace the dead characters with good characters and actors.

• Like 1

Back in the day when I first saw Aliens I was disappointed with it because I thought it was too action-orientated and I thought they made the aliens too disposable and easy to kill. It's grown on me over the years though and I appreciate it for what it is now and it is a classic of the genre but different from the original which I do still rate above it.

I liked Aliens when it came out and I still like it. But yeah, it's just a different thang from the original. It went from horror to action which is fine by me but I do prefer the original.

I like everything on that list but I also prefer all the originals.

I never saw Toy Story...

Toy Story 1-3 is one of the best trilogies ever.

Yup, I said that.

Maybe one day I'll watch it.

Come to think of it, I can't think of a better trilogy.

[Edited to add]

I forgot about the Captain America trilogy!!!

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

I never saw Toy Story...

Toy Story 1-3 is one of the best trilogies ever.

Yup, I said that.

Maybe one day I'll watch it.

Come to think of it, I can't think of a better trilogy.

[Edited to add]

I forgot about the Captain America trilogy!!!

Well you may be biased then!

I liked Aliens when it came out and I still like it. But yeah, it's just a different thang from the original. It went from horror to action which is fine by me but I do prefer the original.

I like everything on that list but I also prefer all the originals.

Game over man...game over!

• Like 1

A Nightmare on Elm Street 2. In a series with a bunch of dumb ass movies, this is still the worst. Freddy attacks a party of fully awake people at one point FFS. Just throw those established rules out of the window. Also, the main protagonist might be the worst ever.

Voted for Aliens, T2, and Godfather 2 in the poll. Almost voted for Toy Story 2 too. I like it pretty much the same as the first, but not quite. 3 is my favorite though. Evil Dead II and Empire Strikes Back are a couple more part twos that I prefer. Oh yeah, and MF'n Road Warrior!

• Like 3

Worst sequel? Highlander II: The Quickening

The original, besides just being a very cool low budget success that came out of nowhere, sort of like Terminator, was permeated with a dark mysticism. Highlander II dispenses with that, even making the "Immortals" aliens from another planet, introducing all kinds of discontinuities. And as the first is a dramatically excellent film, this is an absurdly bad one. The Wikipedia entry puts it well:

The film has received negative reviews from critics and
of the
Highlander
for its numerous
of the prior film, which drastically altered the series storyline, as well as numerous continuity errors and several instances of logical inconsistencies, among other complaints. As a result, several
versions have been released by the filmmakers in an attempt to correct these common complaints, and the original theatrical edition has been considered to be one of the
Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 4

First one that springs to my mind is Die Hard 2.

after the Action master class that was the first. i felt 2 tried WAY to hard and fell flat.

Mick

:yes: Die Hard 2 was horrible!

they redeemed themselves. Die hard with A Vengeance is so much fun.

Sam Jackson forever!!!

Mick

Some good choices in here. I'd forgotten all about Die Hard 2 and Jaws 2.

Escape from L.A. is the reason for this thread. There's no edge, no suspense, the action and characters are jokes, and the special effects make it absurd. I have no idea what could've saved that movie.

Conan the Destroyer is another. It's not the most horrible movie out there BUT I think the drop from part 1 is remarkable. The action is toned way down and some of the characters are very stale. Things that I think could've made it better: "R" rated graphic violence (the PG rating really made it suffer), cut out those shitty characters like his wussy thief sidekick and Grace Jones, and Subotai could've helped.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

A Nightmare on Elm Street 2. In a series with a bunch of dumb ass movies, this is still the worst. Freddy attacks a party of fully awake people at one point FFS. Just throw those established rules out of the window. Also, the main protagonist might be the worst ever.

Voted for Aliens, T2, and Godfather 2 in the poll. Almost voted for Toy Story 2 too. I like it pretty much the same as the first, but not quite. 3 is my favorite though. Evil Dead II and Empire Strikes Back are a couple more part twos that I prefer. Oh yeah, and MF'n Road Warrior!

For all the reasons you said, Nightmare on Elm Street 2 might be my winner as the worst sequel...either that or Escape from L.A.

T1 > T2 because IMHO Ahnold is better as a villain for that series...AND Eddie Furlong was annoying. I still liked T2 a lot though.

T1: A, T2: A-

Alien > Aliens...simply a matter of me preferring the horror of the lone, hard to kill, scary alien as opposed to the action packed dozens that are killed in split second blaster shots. But again, I still loved Aliens quite a bit.

Alien: A+, Aliens: A

• Like 1

I totally don't enjoy Rocky 2. but i know some people that really do.

Rocky wasn't always the brightest bulb. but in 2 he was just plain stupid.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

I totally don't enjoy Rocky 2. but i know some people that really do.

Rocky wasn't always the brightest bulb. but in 2 he was just plain stupid.

Mick

:LOL:

For me, Rocky 2 was a big drop from part 1 but not as huge as some of the other movies already mentioned.

Towards the beginning of Die Hard 2 there's a scene where the villain (played by William Sadler) is watching the news and doing some kind of martial arts exercises in the buff and looking all lean and sweaty. Why the hell was he naked though? To show how intense and concentrated he is? :LOL:

From that point I knew the movie was going to be an unintentional joke.