Jump to content


Poutine...heavenly delicacy or nastiness from the pits of hell?


  • Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Poll: POUTINE (18 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think of poutine?

  1. Mmm...I love it! It's a dish from the heavens. (7 votes [38.89%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 38.89%

  2. It's not my favorite but I like it. (2 votes [11.11%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 11.11%

  3. Nothing special, it's just okay. (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  4. I dislike it but it's not the worst thing out there. (2 votes [11.11%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 11.11%

  5. Gross! I hate it! It's vile vile VILE!!! (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  6. I've never had it but I'd try it at least. (6 votes [33.33%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 33.33%

  7. I've never tried it and I never want to. (1 votes [5.56%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 5.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 30145 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 27 July 2017 - 04:55 AM

Thoughts on poutine?

Posted Image

Just in case some might not know, the basic ingredients are French fries, cheese curds, and brown gravy.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze, 27 July 2017 - 10:51 AM.


Sponsored Post

#2 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

    Beauty and the Bass

  • Members
  • 21779 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Phoenix, Arizona
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 27 July 2017 - 08:06 AM

Never had it but would like to try it.

#3 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 30145 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 27 July 2017 - 08:27 AM

View PostEagleMoon, on 27 July 2017 - 08:06 AM, said:

Never had it but would like to try it.

Had it twice. I didn't like it the first time but thought I'd give it another shot at another restaurant/pub.
The gravy just seemed like standard junk food sauce so yeah no problem. :lol:
But the cheese curd texture and taste weren't to my liking. It's not totally gross but I can skip it.

#4 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

    Beauty and the Bass

  • Members
  • 21779 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Phoenix, Arizona
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 27 July 2017 - 08:32 AM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 27 July 2017 - 08:27 AM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 27 July 2017 - 08:06 AM, said:

Never had it but would like to try it.

Had it twice. I didn't like it the first time but thought I'd give it another shot at another restaurant/pub.
The gravy just seemed like standard junk food sauce so yeah no problem. :lol:
But the cheese curd texture and taste weren't to my liking. It's not totally gross but I can skip it.

I assuming the cheese curds are like large curd cottage cheese?

#5 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 30145 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 27 July 2017 - 08:44 AM

View PostEagleMoon, on 27 July 2017 - 08:32 AM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 27 July 2017 - 08:27 AM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 27 July 2017 - 08:06 AM, said:

Never had it but would like to try it.

Had it twice. I didn't like it the first time but thought I'd give it another shot at another restaurant/pub.
The gravy just seemed like standard junk food sauce so yeah no problem. :lol:
But the cheese curd texture and taste weren't to my liking. It's not totally gross but I can skip it.

I assuming the cheese curds are like large curd cottage cheese?
I don't like cottage cheese either but yeah, somewhat like that.

Other cheese forms are fine with me though.

#6 Verena

Verena

    Mood Lifter

  • Members *
  • 15612 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Six Stars Of The Northern Cross

Posted 27 July 2017 - 10:44 AM

Delicious!!! I like the dish.   :yes:

#7 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

    The Sphere

  • Members
  • 9838 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo, NY

Posted 27 July 2017 - 11:10 AM

This dish is a Canadian thing. Not sure how many outside the country have had it. I've had it before when up there. I remember it being good but not as good as my one friend thought it was.

I was in Toronto a couple weeks ago to see Iron Maiden and they were selling it at one of the concession stands. I think Poutine is to Canada what chicken wings are to us here in Buffalo.

#8 vaportrailer

vaportrailer

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 3751 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:music, reading, travel

Posted 27 July 2017 - 11:30 AM

I can't get into poutine. I like french fries, but not so much with gravy and cheese etc on them.
Now east coast donairs on the other hand...mmmmmmm...

Posted Image

#9 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 3783 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:kalamazoo, mi
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:29 PM

View Postvaportrailer, on 27 July 2017 - 11:30 AM, said:

I can't get into poutine. I like french fries, but not so much with gravy and cheese etc on them.
Now east coast donairs on the other hand...mmmmmmm...

Posted Image
Looks like a Gyro from our parts. Yummy.

#10 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 3783 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:kalamazoo, mi
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:31 PM

Hold the gravy and I think I can get there.

But not as bad as Loco Moco from Hawaii.

https://en.wikipedia.../wiki/Loco_moco

Even as poor as my dietary habits are, the Loco Moco was a nogo.

Edited by HemiBeers, 27 July 2017 - 12:32 PM.


#11 The Analog Grownup

The Analog Grownup

    The Dane of the Culinary Arts

  • Members *
  • 6126 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:I'm right here.
  • Interests:Slay the dragon, grab the gold, get the girl.

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:49 PM

View PostHemiBeers, on 27 July 2017 - 12:29 PM, said:

View Postvaportrailer, on 27 July 2017 - 11:30 AM, said:

I can't get into poutine. I like french fries, but not so much with gravy and cheese etc on them.
Now east coast donairs on the other hand...mmmmmmm...

Posted Image
Looks like a Gyro from our parts. Yummy.

Get rid of the tomato and I'm in

#12 The Analog Grownup

The Analog Grownup

    The Dane of the Culinary Arts

  • Members *
  • 6126 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:I'm right here.
  • Interests:Slay the dragon, grab the gold, get the girl.

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:50 PM

Some poutine dishes looks awful and some looks delicious.

This one look yummy!
Posted Image

#13 ILSnwdog

ILSnwdog

    King Of Car Porn

  • Members *
  • 50024 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Chicago Suburbs
  • Interests:My kids. Music. Cars. Sports. Snowmobiling. Just about anything outdoors.

Posted 27 July 2017 - 01:20 PM

Never had it, but I'd enthusiastically try it.

#14 edhunter

edhunter

    Rushaholic

  • Members *
  • 1737 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 27 July 2017 - 01:24 PM

I tried some once at a Rush show in Saratoga. Didn't seem to have much flavor.

#15 blueschica

blueschica

    What the Puck?

  • Members
  • 5863 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Central Pa
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 27 July 2017 - 02:40 PM

My daughter and I had it once on a trip to Montreal.  I didn't even notice it, but say gravy and she is all over it !  It was surprisingly delicious!  I think she had it like 5 more times in one weekend.  :lol:

#16 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 3783 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:kalamazoo, mi
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 27 July 2017 - 05:20 PM

View PostThe Analog Grownup, on 27 July 2017 - 12:50 PM, said:

Some poutine dishes looks awful and some looks delicious.

This one look yummy!
Posted Image
Too nice and organized. It needs to be in a sloppy basket with stuff dripping everywhere.

#17 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 3783 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:kalamazoo, mi
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 27 July 2017 - 05:21 PM

View PostThe Analog Grownup, on 27 July 2017 - 12:49 PM, said:

View PostHemiBeers, on 27 July 2017 - 12:29 PM, said:

View Postvaportrailer, on 27 July 2017 - 11:30 AM, said:

I can't get into poutine. I like french fries, but not so much with gravy and cheese etc on them.
Now east coast donairs on the other hand...mmmmmmm...

Posted Image
Looks like a Gyro from our parts. Yummy.

Get rid of the tomato and I'm in
meh....just stuff the maters deep inside and you'll never know they're there.

#18 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 30145 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 27 July 2017 - 05:45 PM

View PostHemiBeers, on 27 July 2017 - 12:31 PM, said:

Hold the gravy and I think I can get there.

But not as bad as Loco Moco from Hawaii.

http://en.wikipedia.../wiki/Loco_moco

Even as poor as my dietary habits are, the Loco Moco was a nogo.

Eggs, especially fried, are my kryptonite so loco moco is a pretty gross dish for me.

#19 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 3783 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:kalamazoo, mi
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 27 July 2017 - 05:50 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 27 July 2017 - 05:45 PM, said:

View PostHemiBeers, on 27 July 2017 - 12:31 PM, said:

Hold the gravy and I think I can get there.

But not as bad as Loco Moco from Hawaii.

http://en.wikipedia..../wiki/Loco_moco

Even as poor as my dietary habits are, the Loco Moco was a nogo.

Eggs, especially fried, are my kryptonite so loco moco is a pretty gross dish for me.
mmmm.....ooozing zit-like yellow liquid....

loco moco just sounds like a bad trailer park concoction.

#20 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 30145 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 27 July 2017 - 06:11 PM

View PostHemiBeers, on 27 July 2017 - 05:50 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 27 July 2017 - 05:45 PM, said:

View PostHemiBeers, on 27 July 2017 - 12:31 PM, said:

Hold the gravy and I think I can get there.

But not as bad as Loco Moco from Hawaii.

http://en.wikipedia.../wiki/Loco_moco

Even as poor as my dietary habits are, the Loco Moco was a nogo.

Eggs, especially fried, are my kryptonite so loco moco is a pretty gross dish for me.
mmmm.....ooozing zit-like yellow liquid....

loco moco just sounds like a bad trailer park concoction.

The texture is just part of the grossness. They're the nastiest, mainstream food out there IMHO. Even the smell of cooked eggs makes me want to vomit sometimes. Fried, boiled, omelettes, whatever...they all can go to hell. At least a raw egg doesn't have that intense, annoying smell that cooked eggs do.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users