Test For Echo is a *Super Fun* Album

Day of Light

I could've posted this in the Gush Over Rush Thread but I feel like that'd be minimizing the discussion I want others to have about this album. It's routinely in many people's bottom 3. I think it exists in a weird spot in their timeline and it obviously isn't the sound that made them a cult favorite. Its worst crimes are that it features some awful lyrics so I can see why it's just a pass for many but hear me out

I think it's fairly nice! Reasons:

Great mixing/production/whatever, one of their best. Never get exhaustion from it

Limbo is a criminally underrated and very groovy instrumental

Carve Away The Stone is a happy song and it makes me happy

Test For Echo, the title track, projects for me a very interesting story; it's quite visual for a song, and I find that fun

Driven is a driven song

The Color of Right is hella solid

Totem has a great refrain. Sometimes I just skip to that part

Virtuality is fun and heavy and upbeat. Net boy--net girl!

This album has eleven songs and off the top of my head I was able to say that seven of those songs are frequent plays for me. For modern Rush that is good. Much better than Counterparts which I find to be fairly well rated in comparison.

What is TRF's opinion of this album?

• Like 9

I love your enthusiasm and happiness for this record.

The production is brilliant. Musically amazing and brilliant like your positive vibes!

Not a big fan lyrically but it surely is a wonderful effort by the band.

Was never a fan of Neil changing his drumming technique but hey, that's life! Hopefully the change made Neil happy.

I was very upset when Neil got rid of his double bass.

Alas, he rules nonetheless.

Cheers my dear!

Love your thread.

A+++++++++++++

RUSH RULES!

Edited by RUSHHEAD666
  • Like 3

I loved this album from the very first listen.

Although it does contain the worst lyrics in any Rush song out there with "Dog Years".

Aside from that, I agree with you about the production.

I love Alex's playing on this record.

• Like 2

Although it does contain the worst lyrics in any Rush song out there with "Dog Years".

Yes! You nailed it Troy!

Great record. Lyrically missing on most Cygnus Cylinders.

• Like 1

Old school TRFers might remember the covers contest we had on here about a decade ago. I can't even remember the winner but it might've been Geds' (was that his screen name? I've forgotten that too) cover of Driven. He played lead guitar and provided vocals and video'd himself in his home studio. A good cover of a very cool song! My standout song for T4E.

As for the other 10 songs, I like 5 while the remaining 5 are either just ok or so so. Blocking the lyrics out of my mind, there's nothing embarrassing on here IMHO...and no I didn't forget Dog Years.

• Like 1

I love this album although i think its a step back from Counterparts,both lyrically and musically.I found that Alex started getting grungy but also layering(multitracking)a lot of rhythm guitar parts.He cut back on solos,in fact i remember the solo on Totem leaping out at me but it was way to short.I think the whole album was an attempt to make a hi-tech grunge album.Most of it works.P.S.i don't mind Dog Years.
  • Like 3

I have always enjoyed this one DoL. I hear the complaints but i love it for being a little sillier than normal.

It also sounds fantastic and the entire album is really addictive i find!

• Like 2

Carve Away The Stone is a great song to finish the album. Ged's singing here and elsewhere on the album among the best of his career. Other highlights: Totem, Driven, Time & Motion and the instrumental Limbo. The only track I have to skip is Half The World.

P.S. I don't mind Dog Years.

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 2

Old school TRFers might remember the covers contest we had on here about a decade ago. I can't even remember the winner but it might've been Geds' (was that his screen name? I've forgotten that too) cover of Driven. He played lead guitar and provided vocals and video'd himself in his home studio. A good cover of a very cool song! My standout song for T4E.

As for the other 10 songs, I like 5 while the remaining 5 are either just ok or so so. Blocking the lyrics out of my mind, there's nothing embarrassing on here IMHO...and no I didn't forget Dog Years.

Golly! I have so many memories of that "Test For Echo" Tour. I saw it four times. Remember, and I am a broken record. I didn't even remember that Porsche I was in going 100 miles an hour listening to "Anthem."

But man Mr. Big opened all four times out here when I saw them. Eric Martin always saying.... "ARE YOU ADDICTED TO RUSH?????" The crowd went apeshit and then the band went into their hit "Addicted To That Rush."

Anywho, JB you sparked a memory about the "TFE"Tour which I truly did love. It was "Driven" live! I was always in love with Geddy's extended bass solo on that jam.

Damn, I really do love "Test For Echo."

Minus Neil's lyrical input.

"Time And Motion" is a great song. Minus that strange synth part!

• Like 1

I have always enjoyed this one DoL. I hear the complaints but i love it for being a little sillier than normal.

It also sounds fantastic and the entire album is really addictive i find!

Hahaha! Was one of my most hated songs, but it just just a tongue in cheek or tongue on dog balls song! I love the riff. Lyrically stinks like a dog's asshole on a hot summer lawn after taking a poop.

Alas, it is comedy. Just not a fan.

Am I an oxymoron?

• Like 1

I love this album although i think its a step back from Counterparts,both lyrically and musically.I found that Alex started getting grungy but also layering(multitracking)a lot of rhythm guitar parts.He cut back on solos,in fact i remember the solo on Totem leaping out at me but it was way to short.I think the whole album was an attempt to make a hi-tech grunge album.Most of it works.P.S.i don't mind Dog Years.

Absolutely. "Counterparts" is the last great Rush record for my ears. Despite the boys trying to be grunge posers on "Stick it Out." I always thought that was Chris Cornell in the electric chair.

Just saying. Not disrespecting.

Carve Away The Stone is a great song to finish the album. Ged's singing here and elsewhere on the album among the best of his career. Other highlights: Totem, Driven, Time & Motion and the instrumental Virtuality. The only track I have to skip is Half The World.

P.S. I don't mind Dog Years.

I would just like to skip half of "Half The World." UGH!!

No!

"Carve Away The Stone" is like listening to granite.

Useless!

I would rather listen to "Speed Of Love."

Golly! I have so many memories of that "Test For Echo" Tour. I saw it four times. Remember, and I am a broken record. I didn't even remember that Porsche I was in going 100 miles an hour listening to "Anthem."

But man Mr. Big opened all four times out here when I saw them. Eric Martin always saying.... "ARE YOU ADDICTED TO RUSH?????" The crowd went apeshit and then the band went into their hit "Addicted To That Rush."

Anywho, JB you sparked a memory about the "TFE"Tour which I truly did love. It was "Driven" live! I was always in love with Geddy's extended bass solo on that jam.

Damn, I really do love "Test For Echo."

Minus Neil's lyrical input.

"Time And Motion" is a great song. Minus that strange synth part!

Seems like you might've misunderstood my post. The "Geds" I was referring to was a TRFer who played Driven in a TRF contest.

It is the worst record in the catalogue, hands down. With Caress of Steel, they at least had the excuse of being young and "going for it." They were in their 40's when the following garbage was written:

"I'd rather be a tortoise from Galapagos"

"Put your message in a modem..."

"Tough-talking hood-boys, in pro team logo knockoffs"

Good Lord, it's awful. Bad lyrics, stubbornly shoe-horned into pre-determined melody lines, which weren't very melodic to begin with.

I still remember exactly where I was the first time I heard T4E on the radio. Driving down 9th East in the Salt Lake Valley right by Hillcrest High School where it turns back toward 7th East. I was stopped at a light when the song ended and thought "Well, they had a good run."

Great tour though. I met Howard U. In Vegas, who gave me one of Alex's guitar picks, and then met Geddy and Alex in Salt Lake as they were coming back to the hotel after playing golf.

But yes, the album is an embarrassment.

• Like 2

It is the worst record in the catalogue, hands down. With Caress of Steel, they at least had the excuse of being young and "going for it." They were in their 40's when the following garbage was written:

"I'd rather be a tortoise from Galapagos"

"Put your message in a modem..."

"Tough-talking hood-boys, in pro team logo knockoffs"

Good Lord, it's awful. Bad lyrics, stubbornly shoe-horned into pre-determined melody lines, which weren't very melodic to begin with.

I still remember exactly where I was the first time I heard T4E on the radio. Driving down 9th East in the Salt Lake Valley right by Hillcrest High School where it turns back toward 7th East. I was stopped at a light when the song ended and thought "Well, they had a good run."

Great tour though. I met Howard U. In Vegas, who gave me one of Alex's guitar picks, and then met Geddy and Alex in Salt Lake as they were coming back to the hotel after playing golf.

But yes, the album is an embarrassment.

Hahaha! Simply an amazing post!

The worst lyrically written RUSH record ever. But for me musically and production wise it makes "Vapor Trails" smell and sound like a St Anger Anus piece of shit!

Again....

"Counterparts" will always be the last great RUSH record for me.

To each their own.

I would take Snakes And Arrows and Cockwork Angles over TESTiCLE and Skidmark Trails any day of the weak. LOL Not a typo.

Their last clean sounding album with good vocals and well written songs (with a few exceptions) that don't sound as pieced together. I've always liked the first half of the album in particular.
  • Like 1

Why does everyone hate it? I think its a good song. Quirky lyrics, Neil needs to be a bit cheeky now and then. Virtuality is way worse. The lyrics on rhat are just hackneyed. Good day , Sir. ;)

• Like 3

I could've posted this in the Gush Over Rush Thread but I feel like that'd be minimizing the discussion I want others to have about this album. It's routinely in many people's bottom 3. I think it exists in a weird spot in their timeline and it obviously isn't the sound that made them a cult favorite. Its worst crimes are that it features some awful lyrics so I can see why it's just a pass for many but hear me out

Great mixing/production/whatever, one of their best. Never get exhaustion from it

Test For Echo, the title track, projects for me a very interesting story; it's quite visual for a song, and I find that fun

Driven is a driven song

This album has eleven songs and off the top of my head I was able to say that seven of those songs are frequent plays for me. For modern Rush that is good. Much better than Counterparts which I find to be fairly well rated in comparison.

I do agree with you!! :yes:

Test For Echo is the album that introduced me to RUSH.

It was one of the first songs I heard and it really made my ears fell the band as it is.

It has all to do with their style, since the cover until the last music note.

I love it, love it!!

The only song I really like less is Dog Years.

Test For Echo is a gem!

:rush:

• Like 1

Test For Echo is a great Rush album, as good as Hold Your Fire & Presto. Much better than Counterparts. One of their best album covers as well!!!
  • Like 2

Earl, are you really sure that Mr. Big opened on the T4E tour???

Signed

Vishnu and Gaia - Aztec and Maya

• Like 4

Earl, are you really sure that Mr. Big opened on the T4E tour???

Signed

Vishnu and Gaia - Aztec and Maya

"An Evening with Rush"

...aka "no opening acts"

• Like 3

Driven is a driven song

I like it, and agree on some of your points. Carve Away the Stone is an earworm for me. For some reason every time I hear that one it will get stuck in my head for days. And yes, many of the lyrics are terrible, but the music makes up for it.

I do agree that the production is solid - however, I will qualify that with something that nagged me for some time about that and I finally figured out why it bugs me. I think while it continues the sound of Counterparts to a degree, overall the album sounds a little too workmanlike. It doesn't have the feel of a band that is creating an album that they enjoyed making to a degree. Neil's sub par lyrics are an example. Alex even said once that after doing Victor, he did not really feel like going back into a new Rush album at the time. He even considered taking an extended break. But after getting with Ged and Neil he started to get back into it. So I feel like Al's heart is not there. And you can feel it. Good songs, but they do not always excite. Whereas on CP, Cut to the Chase, Animate, Leave That Thing Alone, Between Sun and Moon... those tracks feel inspired.

So bottom line: solid album, I like a large bulk of it, probably more than most here, but it is not a go-to album. I have to be in the mood for it.

Edited by Wil1972
  • Like 1

I love T4E. It´s quite varied, the production is awesome, and the cover is great. The only down side of it is that there aren´t too many guitar solos, but the ones on totem and Carve Away the Stone are good. And I´ve always waited for them to bring back Limbo in their latest tours, but alas, it wasn´t meant to be...
  • Like 2