Is Circumstances In Your Top 10 ??

Lucas

CIRCUMSTANCES  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Where Does CIRCUMSTANCES Stand ??

• It's a Top 10 Rush song in my book
    • It is not top tier, but very good .. It's a Top 25 song
    • It's decent, but I have some issues with it .. At best, Top 50
    • I could reel off dozens of better songs, and I like the cover of Power Windows .. Top 100
    • What the Tai Shan ?? .. I hate Circumstances and it's not even in my Top 100
    • Are you nuts ?? .. It's my FAVORITE Rush song

I've always loved the song, but lately, it has really hit me how great this song is .. Probably my favorite bass line from Geddy, and some of his absolute best in the vocal department ..

From the tight intro to the perfect synth interlude to the subtle echo of the guitar that ends it, Circumstances is a perfect Rush song ..

Right now, I'd put it at #3, just behind Cygnus X1 and The Necromancer and just ahead of Jacob's Ladder

I've gotten great enjoyment out of this song. Because of its length, it's the only one I routinely listen to off of Hemispheres; all of Hemispheres is good but it's just more of a commitment. Circumstances is lyrically one of their best, sonically catchy and rewarding, and while the production's definitely too hot it can be forgiven--I suspect they were just trying to go for a bolder, more ambitious sound on the album which I think was at least successful.

Also sing-yelling plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose is probably the most satisfying thing I've done to a Rush song (not that I can think of very many satisfying things I've done to the tune of Rush in the grander scheme of things) so there you have it.

• Like 2

The song is not in my TOP TEN but it doesn't have to be.

It's part of the whole that is perfect. Like "The Sphere."

"Hemispheres" is a perfect record. It's the zenith recording by RUSH.

Nothing will ever touch it for me.

Number one album until I die. It's still my go to when I hit my drum kit. Funnest album to play to. Well then again. Every RUSH record is fun to play to. Up to "Counterparts" for me.

• Like 5

I love this song. Not top ten but just outside the zone for sure. One heck of a solid enjoyable song. And yes, very fun to sing to. And not just the french parts either. ;)
  • Like 2

The fun thing about "Circumstances" for me while playing the drums is the china boy pattern in the song.

First Nel hits the china once.

Then the next time around Neil hits the china twice.

Then in it's third run Neil hits the china three times.

EPIC.

Neil may not be the greatest drummer in the world but he's my MAN!

• Like 1

Good song. Well placed on Hemispheres as one of the non-epic tracks to lighten it up a bit. Not sure it quite gets to top 25 for me, but pretty close.

The middle synth section with Al's arpeggio chord patterns is what I like about the song. As a student, you can always learn some new cool chord patterns from uncle Al.

But the solo is kind of pedestrian.

Ignore my vote I was triggered.

It floats in and out of my top ten. My top ten changes periodically from time to time. Sometimes my top ten is more synth heavy sometimes more 70's heavy.

I'd like it better without all the French crap. ;)

Edited by JohnRogers
  • Like 1

It's a wonderful song. It's not in my top ten but probably in my top 25. Think about it, that's an impressive rank.

Same here. Even though Hemispheres is my favorite album of theirs, that particular song is probably my least favorite from it. But even that ranking is still way up there.

In the past, whenever i've known someone into slightly weird but strange rock music and they've never heard Rush, I've recommended they check out Circumstances on Youtube.

The track pretty much the perfect quick introduction to the esoteric, surreal aspect of the band. No other group has anything like it - not because they havent tried, rather they just dont have the singular Rush Factor to carry it off, combined with the sheer talent of course.

You listen to Circumstances you're listening to something truly unique and exceptional

• Like 3

I could take or leave the cover of PoW ... however that is how I voted because the first part of that statement about I could reel off dozens of better songs is accurate. Edited by Wil1972

I've gotten great enjoyment out of this song. Because of its length, it's the only one I routinely listen to off of Hemispheres; all of Hemispheres is good but it's just more of a commitment. Circumstances is lyrically one of their best, sonically catchy and rewarding, and while the production's definitely too hot it can be forgiven--I suspect they were just trying to go for a bolder, more ambitious sound on the album which I think was at least successful.

Also sing-yelling plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose is probably the most satisfying thing I've done to a Rush song (not that I can think of very many satisfying things I've done to the tune of Rush in the grander scheme of things) so there you have it.

Now that you have seen all you have done...it's time to take that step...into the kingdom...

Circumstances is a song that gets stronger with time and more listens. I got to experience it live so that added a new dimension and made it even better.

It's somewhere close to top 25.

• Like 3

Musically it reminds me of Entre Nous for some reason.It's short and it's the first song on the second side and it's wedged in between some heavy company.Do i like it ,Yes,but not top ten.
  • Like 3