Originality Is Tough On The Forum These Daze! "Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son" Vs. "Octavarium"

RUSHHEAD666

"Seventh Son" Or "Octovarium?"  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which Album Do You Love The Most? "These Walls" Shall Never Be Taken Down. Or Will They?

• Iron Maiden "Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son"
    • Dream Theater "Octavarium"
    • Or Enchant perhaps? For my best friends in that awesome band! "Juggling 9 Or Dropping 10!" EPIC!

So hello!

Why not challenge these two albums together in a poll? There is no sanity or rational behavior anymore in polls! So if you can't beat em, JOIN EM!

As many of you know I used to LOVE Dream Theater. But then after "Awake" I sort of lost all interest. Well until "Octavarium" came out.

Love the record. "These Walls" is am amazing track.

Anyway figured by math to put of Maiden's seventh record against DT's eighth album. Both album titles with clues of their creative birth right.

I think Maiden's "Seventh Son" is their last great record. As I think DT's "Octavarium" is their last great record.

Perhaps I am a hip hop pot prog metalist.

I love pop and melody in my prog and both Maiden and Dream Theater deliver.

Can't wait for "Images And Words" live in October! Octavariumtober?

Had to include an album by Enchant. I love all of the guys in that band. Even Paul Craddick is a close friend.

I absolutely love ENCHANT!

So do you get my numerical pattern?

You Rush fans should be smarter than me! I'm an English Major running a distribution company. Addicted to music and drumming.

Octavarium

These Walls is one of my favourite songs.

• Like 1

Octavarium

Amazing!

"These Walls" is one of the greatest Dream Theater songs ever made!! It moves my soul.

Right on dude!

PROG ON!

Can't wait to see "Images And Words" live in Progtober! LOL!!!!

Damn it!

I used to be one of the biggest Dream Theater fans on the earth. The band knew me back in the day! PROG NERD!

But then musical direction and band members change.

Alas, I can't wait for October.

I am a nostalgic nerd.

Hope they do "Awake" next.

Funny to note, my friends in Enchant actually opened up for Dream Theater on the "Awake" Tour. Fun times mate.

I have so many wonderful memories.

Where is prog heading these days?

Makes me sad.

Watching an official Camel 1984 bootleg dvd tonight. Andrew Latimer is a genius.

God I love Camel too.

Octavarium

Amazing!

"These Walls" is one of the greatest Dream Theater songs ever made!! It moves my soul.

Right on dude!

PROG ON!

Damn it!

I used to be one of the biggest Dream Theater fans on the earth. The band knew me back in the day! PROG NERD!

I am a nostalgic nerd.

Funny to note, my friends in Enchant actually opened up for Dream Theater on the "Awake" Tour. Fun times mate.

Makes me sad.

Watching an official Camel 1984 bootleg dvd tonight. Andrew Latimer is a genius.

God I love Camel too.

These Walls is hands down my favourite DT song and easily one of my favourite songs in general. It elevates that album for me, i wish the entire album lived up to ut.

I am not a fan of the title track at all.

Still wins as Seventh Son has always left me cold.

• Like 1

Octavarium

Amazing!

Right on dude!

PROG ON!

Damn it!

I am a nostalgic nerd.

Makes me sad.

God I love Camel too.

These Walls is hands down my favourite DT song and easily one of my favourite songs in general. It elevates that album for me, i wish the entire album lived up to ut.

It's so funny. I love the title track "Octavarium" yet it is still quite a rip off 24 minute song. A homage to Pink Floyd and STYX?

That's one thing about Dream Theater that has always annoyed me. They love to "copy" or pay homage to other famous prog bands.

Just think of all the cover songs they used to do back in the day.

I remember being at the Warfield watching the Six Degrees Tour. I was sooooooo bored. But then they played By Tor. I was so excited! Yet during the cover it just didn't turn me on.

Quite a let down after that, so my buddy and I split.

I seriously have a love hate relationship with Dream Theater.

Back in the day I thought DT was my little secret. I loved them. They were all so cool and nice. So down to earth. Except Mike.

Anyway it is what it is.

Can't wait for Images!

I prefer playing octobans than listening to "Octavarium" anyway! LOL!

Octavarium

Amazing!

Right on dude!

PROG ON!

Damn it!

I am a nostalgic nerd.

Makes me sad.

God I love Camel too.

It's so funny. I love the title track "Octavarium" yet it is still quite a rip off 24 minute song. A homage to Pink Floyd and STYX?

That's one thing about Dream Theater that has always annoyed me. They love to "copy" or pay homage to other famous prog bands.

I remember being at the Warfield watching the Six Degrees Tour. I was sooooooo bored. But then they played By Tor. I was so excited! Yet during the cover it just didn't turn me on.

Back in the day I thought DT was my little secret. I loved them. They were all so cool and nice. So down to earth. Except Mike.

Anyway it is what it is.

Can't wait for Images!

I have the same gripes as you. I think jf DT had more of their own personality I'd be fine with all the rip offs. I dunno they just rub me up the wrong way, but i can really enjoy them in the right frame of mind.

No other band confuses me more than these guys!

• Like 1

Octavarium

Amazing!

Right on dude!

PROG ON!

Damn it!

I am a nostalgic nerd.

Makes me sad.

God I love Camel too.

Anyway it is what it is.

Can't wait for Images!

I have the same gripes as you. I think jf DT had more of their own personality I'd be fine with all the rip offs. I dunno they just rub me up the wrong way, but i can really enjoy them in the right frame of mind.

No other band confuses me more than these guys!

HAHA!

Wow Myles! You get it! Please, listen to me. I was a HUGE fan back when they were nothing! They were a wonderful prog band. I thought they were going to take the prog torch and lead.

Instead they decided to copy and change band mates.

Dream Theater is a New York Text Book Prog Band. Their lead guitar player was amazing but he let the HGH go to his brain and biceps.

So sad.

Perhaps Myung is truly the only talented musician left in the band, but you can't even hear him play in a live environment. I mean shit, I've seen DT live 20 times. Could never hear the bass.

Myung is like Jason Newstead.

You just can't hear the bass lines on "And Justice For All."

I remember when DT released "Change Of Seasons." I was so excited. Loved the long track, but then what the fukk?

An entire side dedicated to COVERS?

Mike Portannoy doing Cygnus And The Sea Monsters.

JUNK

JMO

I think Mike did a Beatles cover dvd.

He did a Zep cover dvd too.

So talented yet such the spitting camel jockey EGO maniac.

My love hate for Dream Theater will never die. Just multiply.

I love "When Dream And Day Unite." "Images" "Awake"

After that it's hit or miss.

I hate "Train Of Thought."

Speaking of Newstead. That is truly a Metallica rip off record.

Too many band mate changes.

Seriously.

Without Kevin Moore the band died a slow death.

Dream Theater is like a progressive zombie film.

Night Of The Living Dead and Dawn Of The Dead equate to Images and Awake. (ironic eh?) LOL!

After those two films and two albums it was alway hit or miss for me.

I think Dream Theater could have been amazing. However they are just going to go down in rock history as a weak broadway play musical prog cover band.

George A Romero is a Legend.

The shite Dream Theater puts out these days is complete garbage. Dedicated to Rick.

No wonder the band has to go back in fuckking time to do IMAGES AND WORDS!!!!!!!

Another nostalgic tour to get idiots like me to go attend.

A pure greedy cash grab move.

I'm all in.

I'm gonna bend over now.

Jordan Rudess is so weak.

He truly is the worst keyboard player in DT history.

His EGO is bigger than Mike's.

"So Sad About Us"

Signed,

THE WHO

A REAL FUKKING BAND!

Listening to CAMEL!

Off to bed!

Seventh Son no question. The whole album is brilliant. I can only say that for half of Octavarium. The best stuff on it doesn't even reach the same level Seventh Son does.

I want to got bed but you make want to find my Seventh Son Thread before bed and bring it back up! Seventh Son is a MASTERPIECE!

• Like 1

Maiden is an amazing band and 7th Son is one of their best albums.

Dream Theater, IMO, is utter and complete garbage.

Perhaps some of you would comprehend the realization of this poll.

Think deep.

I just saw Iron Maiden live and I HATED IT!

I have a poll on here somewhere about how I think "Seventh Son" is the last Masterpiece by Maiden. I still believe this to be true! Humans love "A Brave New World" I was bored. Yet I still went to the show.

BORING!