Rating and the weakest and strongest link on the album Who's Next by The Who?

Texas King

Rating and weakest link on the album Who's Next by The Who?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Rate the album Who's Next by The Who?

• 1 (it totally sucks)
    • 2 (really weak)
    • 3 (weak)
    • 4 (mostly weak)
    • 5 (mediocre)
    • 6 (kinda good)
    • 7 (mostly good)
    • 8 (very good)
    • 9 (great)
    • 10 (timeless masterpiece)
  2. 2. The weakest link on Who's Next?

• Baba O'Riley
    • Bargain
    • Love Ain't for Keeping
    • My Wife
    • Song Is Over
    • Getting in Tune
    • Going Mobile
    • Behind Blue Eyes
    • Won't Get Fooled Again
  3. 3. The strongest link on Who's Next?

• Baba O'Riley
    • Bargain
    • Love Ain't for Keeping
    • My Wife
    • Song Is Over
    • Getting in Tune
    • Going Mobile
    • Behind Blue Eyes
    • Won't Get Fooled Again

I have this on CD. A great listen.

http://youtu.be/IxfZS1kgnAo

Best: Baba

Not the best: Mobile

7/10

Some of this veers into 'dad rock' territory for me. You can hear the swishing of bell-bottoms in some of the songs. :P

And I kinda miss that shitty compressed drum sound from Sell Out and Tommy - wall of cymbals and ringing toms and no hi-hat anywhere.

(note: I am not racist against hi-hats. I just find it interesting that Moon dispensed with one for a brief period. Most drummers would not do this!)

If the poll included the bonus tracks (Naked Eye!), I would've rated it higher.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bETMEfUs79Q

http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/images/drums/72_cans.jpg

Yep. Another great song from this period....Man, if Lifehouse had happened the way it was supposed to.... wow.

• Like 1

I hear "dad rock" used negatively all the time to describe classic rock.

And then once that argument ends the next one is about what "classic rock" even consists of, or why it's called that. Very annoying discussions to be had about the terminology we use today for what was once just "rock," or even "music."

I still use classic rock though, cuz "classic rock radio" played a major role in my intro to music.

• Like 4

And then once that argument ends the next one is about what "classic rock" even consists of, or why it's called that. Very annoying discussions to be had about the terminology we use today for what was once just "rock," or even "music."

I still use classic rock though, cuz "classic rock radio" played a major role in my intro to music.

Entre, when do you go back to college?

In five days I see Queen.

In a week and five days I end my summer job.

In two weeks and five days I get back to school for band camp and then classes.

I'm so excited for all three of those things to happen! :D

• Like 4

You're only young once. Enjoy every moment of it~ :cheers:

• Like 1

You're only young once. Enjoy every moment of it~ :cheers:

You're

Only

Young

Once

so yoyo? I have two of them! :D :syrinx:

• Like 1

7/10

Some of this veers into 'dad rock' territory for me. You can hear the swishing of bell-bottoms in some of the songs. :P

And I kinda miss that shitty compressed drum sound from Sell Out and Tommy - wall of cymbals and ringing toms and no hi-hat anywhere.

(note: I am not racist against hi-hats. I just find it interesting that Moon dispensed with one for a brief period. Most drummers would not do this!)

If the poll included the bonus tracks (Naked Eye!), I would've rated it higher.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bETMEfUs79Q

http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/images/drums/72_cans.jpg

Yep. Another great song from this period....Man, if Lifehouse had happened the way it was supposed to.... wow.

After reading Pete's concept for Life House... Amazing and too bad it never happened.

• Like 2

Can't we just call it music and leave it at that?

Why must they always keep us fighting one another about something all of the time?

WORD.

I'm so damn sick of the pigeonholing. None of that stuff MATTERS. At. All.

I'm tired of it too.

7/10

Some of this veers into 'dad rock' territory for me.

I hate that term. I mean, I was born in 1972, but I love all the stuff my dad listened to, and I never thought of it as "dad rock". I didn't care, it was just good music. Heck, I even like some "granddad music". If it's good, then it shouldn't be disparaged with terms like "dad rock". Music is music.

Sorry, man. I was kidding. I had just posted a buncha crap in the dad rock thread and it was just spillover.

I picture dad rock, whatever it may be, to be Kenny Loggins, so f*ck that sh!t.

http://www.azquotes.com/picture-quotes/quote-there-are-simply-two-kinds-of-music-good-music-and-the-other-kind-the-only-yardstick-duke-ellington-108-10-75.jpg

I'm with this guy on the subject.

• Like 4

7/10

I hate that term. I mean, I was born in 1972, but I love all the stuff my dad listened to, and I never thought of it as "dad rock". I didn't care, it was just good music. Heck, I even like some "granddad music". If it's good, then it shouldn't be disparaged with terms like "dad rock". Music is music.

Sorry, man. I was kidding. I had just posted a buncha crap in the dad rock thread and it was just spillover.

http://www.azquotes.com/picture-quotes/quote-there-are-simply-two-kinds-of-music-good-music-and-the-other-kind-the-only-yardstick-duke-ellington-108-10-75.jpg

Aye Aye Duke!

• Like 2

7/10

Nah it's all good. My ire was directed at the terminology, not you.

• Like 2

Baba O'Riely is the best, but Bargain, My Wife (underrated!) and The Song Is Over up there as well.

Going Mobile is crap. Never liked that one.

Won't Get Fooled Again is good, but I've never thought it was as amazing as many others do.

Edited by The K Man

I am so glad I got to see The Who while Moonie was still alive. Even though I'm sure that's a contributing factor to why I have tinnitus today. I have never been to such a loud concert in my life.
  • Like 4

I am so glad I got to see The Who while Moonie was still alive. Even though I'm sure that's a contributing factor to why I have tinnitus today. I have never been to such a loud concert in my life.

Its probably why Pete has tinnitus too! Although in all seriousness I think the time Moon put those explosives in his bass drum on the Smothers Bros. show probably contributed as well. Pete was caught right in front of it when it went off.

• Like 3

Nah, "Dad rock" is a Bull$hit term.

If "Dad Rock" is what stands in opposition to the whiny-screamo-punkish-looped-crappola that dominates what is left of terrestrial corporate rock radio in the last decade, then Happy Father's day to me! :codger:

lol

• Like 4

Me too. Moonie and John.

I used to follow a local band around, sit right up front with them, and stick my head inside the speaker because their music was never loud enough to suit me. It's a wonder I'm not deaf today.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

Timeless

Getting in Tune

Wont Get Fooled Again

So wish I could have seen The Who in their prime. I have some boots of them from their prime (inc. at least 1 from this tour). Man, they were incredible. Got to see them twice on The Who hits' 50 tour and they still are great live. What it must have been like to see them in person in their prime - wow.

One of my favorite groups.

• Like 3

I'd gladly lose me to find you

I'd gladly give up all I had

To find you I'd suffer anything and be glad

I'd pay any price just to get you

I'd work all my life and I will

To win you I'd stand naked, stoned and stabbed

I'd call that a bargain

The best I ever had

The best I ever had

:ebert:
  • Like 1

He is an unsung hero. I was so sorry to hear when he died. Such a talented man that made good songs great with his piano.

Nicky Hopkins is my favorite secret weapon for any band that he's ever played with. Especially love his stuff on the Rolling Stones's "Monkey Man" and The Who's "They're All in Love."

• Like 1

If Who's Next isn't a timeless masterpiece, nothing is.

Weakest track: "Going Mobile" (and I love it)

Strongest track: "Baba O'Riley" (my #1 favorite song)

• Like 3