Portnoy-era Dream Theater vs Post-Portnoy-era Dream Theater

treeduck

Were Dream Theater better with Portnoy or not?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Dream Theater are better now without Portnoy or not?

• Dream Theater are not the same without Portnoy, there's something missing, there's no balls, no bite.
    • I feel that Dream Theater are better without Portnoy. The albums show improvement.
    • I don't notice much difference
    • I don't care about this band
    • The singer sucks or I'd be all over this band
    • They're too up their own arse technical anyway...

As a whole catalog, with him. That being said the self titled was awesome. I kinda feel that as much as a db as he comes across, he brought some fire to the band.

I think their self-titled album was an improvement, but that could just as well have been the material. The Astonishing isn't my cup of tea.

The Astonishing was astonishing indeed, but not for the reasons they would like.

An Astonishing Pile Of Smoldering Hot Summer Dog Shite.

My LOVE HATE relationship with this band goes very deep.

Way before I was even a single post or bandwidth on this Fourm.

I loved DREAM THEATER back in the DAY!

Yet, Portnoy really started to turn into a midget micro dick of a man.

After "Awake" my eyes were wide shut.

Still bought every record though.

I still do buy every record, hoping for something "Astonishing" again but no.

Without Kevin Moore this band is shite.

JMO

Jordan Rudess is USELESS to me.

Bald idiot in a lame ass Fantasia Wizard cap. You you people have the gall to tell me to grow the fuckk up?

HAHA!

I will never change!

I will always voice my optimistic, omnipresent and opalescent opinions of onion breath orgasms.

I hope I scare most women away.

Being Peter Pan still has it's progressive charm.

Too bad Wet Dream Theater has lost theirs!

Ironically, Dream Theater sucks more without Mike.

Dream Theater was his newborn prog text book HGH cover band baby.

He aborted and was fired from his own creation

It's actually sad to be honest.

This shit happens all the time in the rock and roll biz.

Leonard Haze started Yesterday & Today. Then it evolved into Y&T.

Then all of the sudden Leonard's baby transformed itself into Dave's band. Life isn't fair.

Rock And Roll Isn't Fair.

"I'm PUNTING!"

"The Garden Party"

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

To be honest

The post Portnoy era has two of their best albums. And their worst.

So two thirds exceptional.

The Portnoy era is crazy inconsistent.

So...I don't see a dramatic shift in quality and style.

However, I'm craving a bit of metal right now and DT might be the band to scratch that itch. I might go play the self titled.

Like Earl, I have a manic love/hate relationship with this band.

It's been fun!

I'll decide when they release their next album. I want to say Mangini era, but I probably won't.

The Astonishing? Nah. Never happened.

My thoughts exactly.

I really like the two records that came before it.

• Like 2

A few weeks back I went to see Portnoy's Shattered Fortress show. I fell out of 'love' with DT around Octavarium and rarely listen to them these days, so it surprised me that I thought it was a brilliant gig. I've listened to their post-Portnoy albums but they don't do anything for me. So I'm in the 'with Portnoy' camp but, Shattered Fortress gig aside, I've moved on. Even my enjoyment of that gig hasn't got me listening to their albums again.
  • Like 1

They're just different. Not better or worse.

But, "For better or for worse" is taken under oath in a marriage that should last forever.

Many man and women break that vow in marriage every second of every day of existence.

A marriage should last forever like a great band. It doesn't. Life goes on.

My marriage to Wendy is like Dream Theater. It ended early. I used to take Wendy to many Dream Theater concerts. She hated it and only did it out of love for me. We failed.

Dream Theater is a fuckking FAIL. Mike was fired. Divorced. Whatever. Never the same.

My parents are like RUSH. I know Neil was the second drummer hired in the band, however they had a wonderful marriage until the end.

My parents have been married happily for 55 years. It can happen.

Finding a good woman is just as hard as finding a good band on this earth.

I had one. She is gone.

How does one find one again at midlife?

How would Geddy and Alex try and find a new partner to keep their eternal flame burning bright?

They can't.

Same shit. Different element.

Musical bonds and human bonds of eternal love. Come and go. Like the flow of the uneven sea.

Swim boy. Swim until you drown or find land.

I have all of the music somewhere on cd in my house of bands that I will eternally love forever until I die.

I will never change.

I have recorded videos and a million pictures of my relationship of 21 years that is over. I have my girls. All of their photos and videos.

Seriously.

What is the difference when you go through a serious loss? Musically in a band or with a man or woman you once loved. A human you thought you would love fore all eternity. A human to be with until "death do us part."

Life ain't fair.

So on that note, I say "FUCKK IT!"

Live for YOU.

If love comes and stays with you forever then you are a lucky soul.

My parents ROCK!

As JB would say I truly and blessed, and cursed.

Even if I live alone for the rest of my life after achieving real love, I have everything else I need.

Good luck to all of you!

May you find "The One."

If you have then..

"Love The One You're With"

I known the official story is that MP quit, but some insiders say he was royally screwed by the other members, who now pose as the good guys. I guess we won't know the truth until VERY late in this game, because part of their settlement prevents them from going into too much detail about the split.

But hey, they've just announced their North American leg of the tour in celebration of the 25 years of Images & Words, and I'll see them in Toronto in November!!!!

I known the official story is that MP quit, but some insiders say he was royally screwed by the other members, who now pose as the good guys. I guess we won't know the truth until VERY late in this game, because part of their settlement prevents them from going into too much detail about the split.

But hey, they've just announced their North American leg of the tour in celebration of the 25 years of Images & Words, and I'll see them in Toronto in November!!!!

And I will be seeing them I believe the night after you when they play here.

Got a text from my brother last night at 12:15 when they made the announcement. They announced this shit at midnight? Lol.

• Like 1

Good stuff, J...rumour has it they´ll make a change or two in the setlist, but if not, we only get ONE song off The Astonishing. That´s one too many for me, but nothing´s perfect, right?

Portnoy has said repeatedly that he quit the band.

Dream Theater said he quit the band.

He quit the band.

• Like 1

Portnoy has said repeatedly that he quit the band.

Dream Theater said he quit the band.

He quit the band.

Yes, but maybe there's more to that story than just a couple of sentences. Relationships are complicated, can you imagine the dynamics when FIVE people are involved? I'm not saying I know something about their split, but it's a lot more complex than just "he quit the band".

Unfreaking believable they are shitting on Florida this tour. Come on guys. Seriously?

I don't know where I stand really. A Dramatic Turn of Events is one of the top DT albums for me. That said, I bought The Astonishing the week it came out...listened to disc 1 twice. Never bothered to listen to disc 2. :huh:

The self-titled is ok...didn't blow me away though.

The Astonishing would have been a masterpiece with better lyrics.

I wish I could argue your point but I cannot. I can't even get through the entire record to make a fair and balanced statement. All I know is that the music is really weak. It's like listening to a progressive pop play on Broadway.

F that album.

Give me "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" instead!!!

I'm surprised Dream Theater doesn't cover that record next!!!!

• Like 1

The Astonishing would have been a masterpiece with better lyrics.

I wish I could argue your point but I cannot. I can't even get through the entire record to make a fair and balanced statement. All I know is that the music is really weak. It's like listening to a progressive pop play on Broadway.

F that album.

Give me "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" instead!!!

I'm surprised Dream Theater doesn't cover that record next!!!!

For me it's the lyrics that make it difficult to get though. The music is great and I tend to focus on that.