Portnoy-era Dream Theater vs Post-Portnoy-era Dream Theater

treeduck

Were Dream Theater better with Portnoy or not?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Dream Theater are better now without Portnoy or not?

• Dream Theater are not the same without Portnoy, there's something missing, there's no balls, no bite.
    • I feel that Dream Theater are better without Portnoy. The albums show improvement.
    • I don't notice much difference
    • I don't care about this band
    • The singer sucks or I'd be all over this band
    • They're too up their own arse technical anyway...

I prefer them with him.

Your poll answers are ridiculous though.

• Like 1

I think their self-titled album was an improvement, but that could just as well have been the material. The Astonishing isn't my cup of tea.

The Astonishing was astonishing indeed, but not for the reasons they would like.

• Like 5

I prefer them with him.

Well let me see the poll answers that you would prefer then.

Better with him

Better without him

Pretty simple my friend. :laughing guy:

• Like 1

I think their self-titled album was an improvement, but that could just as well have been the material. The Astonishing isn't my cup of tea.

The Astonishing was astonishing indeed, but not for the reasons they would like.

Haha, exactly.

I prefer them with him.

Well let me see the poll answers that you would prefer then.

Better with him

Better without him

Pretty simple my friend. :laughing guy:

Then I'd get people saying there wasn't enough options. I often do 40 options in polls so think yourself lucky!

• Like 2

Yes. That album....it died a quick death for me. I actually listened to it 7 times straight through, front to back. The first listen was tough, the second better, the third it started coming together and then I realized...it was all highly forgettable. I seriously could not grab onto any part of the entire album.

It all just started sounding ponderous.

On the other hand I really like the two albums they have done post Mike Portnoy in ADTOE and DT. Both have a lot of great tunes. But still.....I prefer the band pre Mangini.

First off as much as I respect and like Mike Mangini, I can't stand how he records his drums. I really dislike his snare sound and it really distracts me on the DT album which was such a good record otherwise.

Secondly, something is truly missing. And I would not call it balls or power. Just that something that made them Dream Theater. Mike regardless of what anyone may think of him is an incredible player and a huge part of the chemistry and complete sound of that band.

One day.....they will reunite. I just have a feeling it will be in the cards.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 1

Yes. That album....it died a quick death for me. I actually listened to it 7 times straight through, front to back. The first listen was tough, the second better, the third it started coming together and then I realized...it was all highly forgettable. I seriously could not grab onto any part of the entire album.

It all just started sounding ponderous.

On the other hand I really like the two albums they have done post Mike Portnoy in ADTOE and DT. Both have a lot of great tunes. But still.....I prefer the band pre Mangini.

First off as much as I respect and like Mike Mangini, I can't stand how he records his drums. I really dislike his snare sound and it really distracts me on the DT album which was such a good record otherwise.

Secondly, something is truly missing. And I would not call it balls or power. Just that something that made them Dream Theater. Mike regardless of what anyone may think of him is an incredible player and a huge part of the chemistry and complete sound of that band.

One day.....they will reunite. I just have a feeling it will be in the cards.

I've only managed to get through it about 3 times. Not many times but sometimes you just know it isn't going to get any better.

• Like 1

And yeah they will, it's inevitable. Either it will make sense financially for them, or Portnoy will finally run out of side-projects.

I feel that it's just about pride. Portnoy wanted the band to hang around on the sidelines while he did a few side-projects and when the rest of DT said no he felt like he couldn't go back behind the kit after his "authority" within the band had been undermined. He probably realised that he might get outvoted on everything after that and end up not doing any of the writing. We may even have seen the same kind of albums with a neuted Portnoy as we get with Mangini.

I have always been hit or miss with this band. Some of their stuff I just love and some of it I can't stand.

Its odd.

I don't think I have listened to anything new from them in about 10 or 15 years so I can't say that I am familiar enough with their material with the new guy to participate in the poll.

The self-titled album "Dream Theater" is among the band's all time best efforts; but I still can't help but feel they're a step off of where they were with Portnoy. Mike Mangini is doing terrfic work with them, and certainly has the chops to amaze me; but there is some kind of intangible quality that is sadly missing from Dream Theater now.
  • Like 4

The self-titled album "Dream Theater" is among the band's all time best efforts; but I still can't help but feel they're a step off of where they were with Portnoy. Mike Mangini is doing terrfic work with them, and certainly has the chops to amaze me; but there is some kind of intangible quality that is sadly missing from Dream Theater now.

Great post, man. The self titled was great, ADTOE was solid, The Astonishing was not good at all. And I find that there's something intangible that's missing. They're repeating setlists and playing to a click track, and those two things put me off when it comes to this band.

"Eat my balls and ass" - Mike Portnoy

What's your answer Ticky?

That was my answer. I answered they are the same for me. Still the most awesome prog metal band ever!

That was my answer. I answered they are the same for me. Still the most awesome prog metal band ever!

When was the last time you listened to Live at Budokan?

• Like 1

With Portnoy.

In a lot of ways it's not a fair comparison. Portnoy was a huge part of the band's most classic albums and brought something special to the band. Mangini hasn't been around as long and is just a hired gun kind of drummer. He doesn't do any writing either. Not his fault, his role has always been to be a reliable, quality drummer wherever he goes.

Their first two albums without Portnoy are great. Astonishing sucked. I believe they can bounce back from that misstep. But they probably won't ever reach the heights they did on albums like Images, Awake, Scenes and Six Degrees again whether Portnoy is with them or not.

• Like 2

I haven´t listened to the whole thing in a while, but will do it soon!!!

I haven´t listened to the whole thing in a while, but will do it soon!!!

I'm going to listen to it soon too.

With Portnoy.

In a lot of ways it's not a fair comparison. Portnoy was a huge part of the band's most classic albums and brought something special to the band. Mangini hasn't been around as long and is just a hired gun kind of drummer. He doesn't do any writing either. Not his fault, his role has always been to be a reliable, quality drummer wherever he goes.

Their first two albums without Portnoy are great. Astonishing sucked. I believe they can bounce back from that misstep. But they probably won't ever reach the heights they did on albums like Images, Awake, Scenes and Six Degrees again whether Portnoy is with them or not.

Wise words... :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz:

• Like 1