Chester Bennington (linkin park) commits suicide

Rushman14

He was friends with Chris Cornell and sang at his funeral.

Today is what would have been Chris' 53rd birthday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfgvqXbNs94

Rest in Peace Chester and Chris :rose:

Oh, man...

"in the end it doesn't really matter"

unless you have 6 kids :(

I've lost patience and empathy with people like Chris and Chester who choose to take their lives despite having all the means and family support to get through their struggles. How many kids do you need to have to convince you not to kill yourself? There's nothing romantic or poetic about the 'rockstar suicide'...it's just selfish self-delusional bullshit. Your kids don't care about your rockstar status...they'd be fine if you just quit and became couch potato dad. Instead, at some point during their grieving /recovery process, they are probably going to think of you as a selfish dick.

Chester, this was totally a copycat suicide of Chris's and you had two months to get help. That's f***ing lame to leave your 6 kids behind like this.

It's one thing to do the final deed if your physical health is seriously declining or you don't have the support or means to help you. But I'm not finding sympathy when there's so many thousands of people that are worse off, but still fight the fight every day.

Not the most politically correct post but so be it.

I completely understand where you're coming from here. But this death and Cornell's just goes to show you that no amount of money, fame or family can help someone who has deep mental and emotional issues that they just can't overcome. Who's to say Chester didn't do everything he could to get himself well but nothing ever helped. I didn't know about the abuse he experienced as a kid. But unless someone has experienced that themselves, we have no idea what kind of inner torture he was carrying all these years. Obviously, what that was must have become too much for him. If six kids and millions of adoring fans couldn't turn him away from taking his own life then nothing was gonna save him.

Believe me. Being f***ed against your will and made to feel like you are worthless is a pain that cannot merely be left in the past and it is a shame that you can never truly overcome or explain.

And it's being researched and men who've been abused often fall harder as they are rarely taken seriously.

It's taken me 13 years to get support after being told nearly ten years ago I was a dirty slut who slept around for the next contract or fashion gig and cried when all went tits up.

The pain is dominant and real.

I can't imagine how he must have felt being several years younger than me when it started.

It truly angers me how anyone thinks any outward forms of happiness are enough to change this pain. I LOVE so many and it takes a lot to feel love back.

It drives me insane.

You guys have no idea.

Chester was an icon for me and I can't believe I never knew of his past. I ache so f***ing much.

• Like 1

Not judging him and I do sympathize with his plight...

...but his exit was selfish and will affect his children for the rest of their lives.

It is for them that my heart breaks for today.

They are the victims of this senseless act.

Edited by ReGorLaTroy
  • Like 3

I don't know what to say...I just don't.

If this was about the backlash to the new album, I... for dear goodness sakes... I feel awful. I judged the whole thing on the first single, which I despised, and didn't begin to give it a chance... I didn't think the lyrics were real anymore either... how could anyone have known? Heavy was a cry for help... and everyone hated it and hated Linkin Park for it... then Chris, his friend, commits suicide, and Chester sings at his funeral... I can't imagine.

I just don't know what to say. Rest in peace, Chester. You're music helped me put a finger on some of my worst feelings and get back to a heathy state of mind. I'm so sorry it couldn't do the same for you. :( :rose:

• Like 2

He wasn't in full control of his mental faculties why is that so hard for everyone to understand?

Do you think a stable mind makes a decision like that? Is he to be punished in death for having punished himself out of life?

Do any of you even f***ing know how extreme this sensation is? Have you ever been strapped down onto a bed screaming and bleeding from biting on your hands til they bleed and waking up hours later being informed you have to wait several days for signs of progress before being let out?

Do you know what it's like to mentally black out and be found walking miles down a highway crying and screaming and in pain?

Can you imagine a weekend break with friends being upturned by a rapist beating your door down and taking you by force, leaving you stunned for months on end trying to rememher you are not a f***ing slut?

Are you going to tell me he was a not a victim to his own demons? Because you have no idea NO idea what it feels like to be broken down to that point.

His family will ache but that man had a lifetime of pain and that does not erase the fact he tried and tried to make himself a success.

• Like 6

All this talk of selfishness like you have a clue like you have a f***ing clue how broken it is to feel like there is no escape.
  • Like 5

I'm sorry I think this news came at temhe wrong time for me

All this talk of selfishness like you have a clue like you have a f***ing clue how broken it is to feel like there is no escape.

The fact that he did this with the six kids illustrates how bad off he was. You never know, a person in this state may even feel they're doing their kids a favor by removing themself from their life. Logic is out the window.

• Like 3

I was planning on seeing them next month just because I haven't had a chance yet. Sad to see this especially with 6 kids left behind. Money and success don't get you happiness, that's for sure. Here's a link to one of my favorite LP songs that you probably haven't heard before.

http://youtu.be/Ck7Vfwo65NI

That has actually been my favorite Linkin Park song since 2011. I'm glad you posted it. :]

This one and waiting for the end from the same album are my fave LP songs and it's my fave album. Funny that a lot of people didn't like it.

• Like 1

I'm sorry this death just hurts me so much you guys have no idea what's going on with me I'm really ill and I'm scared and I'm freaking out and I always look so happy and stylish and confident but recently I'm just not and I'm really scared and I can't seem to make anything right and then he does like this and he's been through this and I just don't know how to cope

Yes, I do know what it's like to feel that the only escape is death. Very well. And I didn't have anyone around me to help me out of it either. I had to do it myself.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 6

Yes, I do know what it's like to feel that the only escape is death. Very well. And I didn't have anyone around me to help me out of it either. I had to do it myself.

And for that I admire you. :yes:
  • Like 3

:notworthy: to those that survive and are able rise above the trials of a challenging life, whether that challenge be mental health, a physical challenge, addiction, poverty, abuse...

:rose: to those that fall victim.

• Like 6

Oh, man...

I've lost patience and empathy with people like Chris and Chester who choose to take their lives despite having all the means and family support to get through their struggles. How many kids do you need to have to convince you not to kill yourself? There's nothing romantic or poetic about the 'rockstar suicide'...it's just selfish self-delusional bullshit. Your kids don't care about your rockstar status...they'd be fine if you just quit and became couch potato dad. Instead, at some point during their grieving /recovery process, they are probably going to think of you as a selfish dick.

Chester, this was totally a copycat suicide of Chris's and you had two months to get help. That's f***ing lame to leave your 6 kids behind like this.

It's one thing to do the final deed if your physical health is seriously declining or you don't have the support or means to help you. But I'm not finding sympathy when there's so many thousands of people that are worse off, but still fight the fight every day.

You clearly have no f***ing idea wtf you're talking about, so until you do some research about suicide, maybe stop making an ass of yourself.

• Like 5

Oh, man...

I'm sorry but this is a gross misunderstanding of what actually drives someone to suicide. Every person I know that's taken their life was well off. When you're in that horrible mindset, you don't think reasonably at all. You don't consider the lives you effect by taking your life; you're stuck with blinders that keep you from anticipating any of the consequences. You just know you want the pain to stop. When someone's on the verge of taking their life, their sense of uselessness and self resentment can delude them into thinking their family/friends are "better off".

• Like 7

I couldn't tell you any song they have done but I'm sorry to hear that he committed suicide especially if children are involved.
  • Like 2

RIP Chester. Your music was the soundtrack to my heartbreaks, promotions, disappointments and losses. The futility of my lifestyle at the time. I regret not seeing Linkin Park while I had the chance. Your songs will live on forever in my heart. They elevated my existence to a higher plane. "In the End" and "Numb" were both epic and surreal. You were larger than life and your blazed your own trail in this world. You reminded me that "time is a valuable thing," if I didn't know it already. Thanks for the memories.

One of my family members killed himself. People always say it's a selfish, cowardly act. But you can never know what someone is going through unless you've walked a mile in his shoes. People don't commit suicide because they want attention. It's usually the result of a long struggle with personal demons or problems beyond one's control.

Chester was sexually abused when he was a child. He didn't tell anyone because he thought people would think he was gay or lying. He was also bullied in high school. He once said, "I was knocked around like a rag doll at school, for being skinny and looking different." He also had a very special friendship with Chris Cornell. He was the godfather of Cornell's son, Christopher. Today would've been Cornell's 53rd birthday.

Sexual abuse has a lasting effect on a person. It affects one's sense of self and security. Any form of abuse hinders people's ability to form lasting and meaningful relationships. It is also linked with drug use and addiction. Sexual abuse and substance abuse often go hand in hand.

Then there's the old adage that he should've stuck around for the kids. Or he should've sought help in the form of counselling. No one likes to admit weakness or the fact that he needs help. What if he was so completely miserable that he just didn't want to live on this screwed up planet anymore?

Chester also had numerous health problems including gastroinstestinal issues and injuries to his wrist, shoulder, and ankle that affected his ability to tour. The man was in a lot of physical pain.

Sometimes I am entirely capable of rational thoughts.

Edited by Boots
  • Like 5

Oh, man...

You are a fucking disgrace.

RIP Chester Bennington. I was never a big LP fan, but it's horrible to hear of another person taking their own life like that :( I only wish that he had found peace wherever he is....

All this talk of selfishness. i can't accuse this guy of it.

here's why guys......when your that rock botton. even if you have family/kids. you ARE thinking of them. but the over riding thought.......and this is experience talking.........MAKE IT STOP. I WANT THE PAIN TO END.

so do not judge. Because you can't know the pain crippling depression is until you are face to face with it.

Mick

• Like 6

People just get tired of struggling the older they get.

Hope he found peace finally.

Leaving behind 6 children is the act of a coward. RIP

I have no sympathy for someone to do this while having children on the earth. He is a disgrace to the living ones who love him still.

His band sucks too. One of the worst ever.

So tired of this LSD going on. Lead Singer Disease. Really? What's wrong with all of these "frontmen" who take their own lives?

Very sad and very selfish.

• Like 2