Dire Straits

Lorraine

Music aside - which I love, by the way - I always thought their album and song titles were so cool!! Communiqué, Lady Writer, Telegraph Road, MAking Movies...I dunno what it is about them, but they all sound really cool. Not pretentious at all.

And I agree with goose that even On Every Street has its moments. The ending on the title track is amazing - haven´t we talked about this before?

• Like 3

Music aside - which I love, by the way - I always thought their album and song titles were so cool!! Communiqué, Lady Writer, Telegraph Road, MAking Movies...I dunno what it is about them, but they all sound really cool. Not pretentious at all.

And I agree with goose that even On Every Street has its moments. The ending on the title track is amazing - haven´t we talked about this before?

:yes:
  • Like 1

Have to include this one with all the legends on stage. I still laugh at Eric Clapton. He was our guitar god in the mid to late sixties until Jimmy Page dethroned him.

http://youtu.be/6CB9OrGZ7-c

Looks like they got rid of the homophobia from the song...fun to watch. Thanks for posting.

• Like 2

I don't know anything about the band, but that the RRHOF has ignored them shouldn't surprise anyone. Look what they did to Rush.

True although Rush were very much a cult band, albeit a hugely popular one. Dire Straits were enormous, with massive worldwide mainstream appeal and critical acclaim too. They strike me as the kind of band Rolling Stone would've placed in the HoF at the first opportunity.

They just didn't have the longevity of most of the rock acts in the HoF (let's not talk about all of the other ridiculous inductees).

• Like 1

This phenomenal band deserves a thread of their own.

If there is one already, my apologies. I've given up trying to successfully use the TRF search feature.

http://youtu.be/uoaBjHYsDAg

I think we have been threading about this band over the years.

I know I am one of the biggest Dire Straits fans on this Board.

"Love Over Gold" is one of the greatest albums on the planet.

Part PROG, part rock, part pop.

Genius.

• Like 3

Have to include this one with all the legends on stage. I still laugh at Eric Clapton. He was our guitar god in the mid to late sixties until Jimmy Page dethroned him.

http://youtu.be/6CB9OrGZ7-c

Looks like they got rid of the homophobia from the song...fun to watch. Thanks for posting.

The guy with the glasses is my favorite percussionist ever. I saw him with John Denver, of all acts, and he stole the show.

267px-Ray_Cooper_2010.jpg

Ray Cooper

ETA: Wicked guitar solo in this live version.

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

:yes:

HELL YES. And the live version of that one (from On The Night) is magical.

I remember getting into this band. i avoided them a while because of Money for Nothing.

Than a friends dad weirdly enough. he heard me talking about that song. he was like aw hell no. pulled out Communique. i was gobsmacked it was like a different totally better band.

Don't get me wrong. BIA has great songs on it. but that production job is lifeless.

Mick

• Like 2

I remember getting into this band. i avoided them a while because of Money for Nothing.

Than a friends dad weirdly enough. he heard me talking about that song. he was like aw hell no. pulled out Communique. i was gobsmacked it was like a different totally better band.

Don't get me wrong. BIA has great songs on it. but that production job is lifeless.

Mick

It was very much of its time in some ways - 1985, all digital, super duper clean production.

I love the non-hits on that record.. Side 2 is amazing, as is Your Latest Trick and Why Worry.

• Like 3

Mick

It was very much of its time in some ways - 1985, all digital, super duper clean production.

I love the non-hits on that record.. Side 2 is amazing, as is Your Latest Trick and Why Worry.

i love the live versions of the songs from BIA.

i love Your Latest Trick.

that Sax is like butter, lol

Mick

• Like 3

Mick

i love the live versions of the songs from BIA.

i love Your Latest Trick.

that Sax is like butter, lol

Mick

Michael Brecker on the studio version is hot stuff. But yeah, I prefer the live verisons too. Sure wish I'd seen them.

• Like 1

Yeah, I think MAKING MOVIES is my fave too, but they have so much great music.

Some of Mark's solo stuff is great too. Sailing to Philadelphia... damn...!

YES!
  • Like 1

I love Brothers in Arms, but must agree with Mick that from then on they sound like a completely different band. Everything was glossier, slicker and with more reverb than before.
  • Like 3

Dire Straits is as boring as it gets, sorry about that :boo hiss: :( :)

Here you go...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJwJ11-pmxg

6 million+ views

From the comments:

In my opinion, Mark Knopfler is one of the greatest guitarists of all time. He may not be a technical wizard or play lightning fast, blistering solos, or create music which is nearly impossible to replicate and learn to play, all of which seems to be the criteria to be a "great guitarist" by most people's standards.. But Knopfler is an amazing songwriter and in general, he has a profound musical sense. He knows what to play, when to play it, and makes his guitar sing with such gentle elegance...

The amount of emotion he can pull out of guitar is amazing .

He plays the guitar as easily and effortlessly as Eric Clapton.

Mark blows the overrated Eric Crapton away! Once Eric left Cream he went soft, although I do adore "Derek And The Dominos."

Here you go...

6 million+ views

From the comments:

In my opinion, Mark Knopfler is one of the greatest guitarists of all time. He may not be a technical wizard or play lightning fast, blistering solos, or create music which is nearly impossible to replicate and learn to play, all of which seems to be the criteria to be a "great guitarist" by most people's standards.. But Knopfler is an amazing songwriter and in general, he has a profound musical sense. He knows what to play, when to play it, and makes his guitar sing with such gentle elegance...

Mark blows the overrated Eric Crapton away! Once Eric left Cream he went soft, although I do adore "Derek And The Dominos."

i never liked clapton once he went solo. safe, bland.

he fell into a mold. and let his creativity just rot away.

Mick

• Like 1

Here you go...

6 million+ views

From the comments:

Mick

You just nailed it Mick! Couldn't type it better myself, and you know how I love to type. LOL!

• Like 1

Mark first 4 solo records are great to me.

the Golden Heart

Sailing to Philadelphia

The Ragpicker's Dream

Shangri-la

All 4 are great

Mick

I quite like the "Local Hero" soundtrack as well.

And this...

• Like 1

Here you go...

6 million+ views

From the comments:

Mick

You just nailed it Mick! Couldn't type it better myself, and you know how I love to type. LOL!

Yeah, the Derek/Dominos period (and Blind Faith) was great. Only couple things he's done after that have moved me. I think "Let It Grow", "The Core", and "Running on Faith" are all wonderful songs. But everything else... eeehhhh.... :)