Dire Straits

Lorraine

the first 4 records plus the live album Alchemy is where it's at.

i check out at the breakthrough Brothers in Arms. to slick for me. the raw energy of the first 4 is what i love about the band. with BIA they got utterly castrated.

Mick

• Like 5

i check out at the breakthrough Brothers in Arms. to slick for me. the raw energy of the first 4 is what i love about the band. with BIA they got utterly castrated.

Mick

You don't like Money For Nothing then?

• Like 1

Love Over Gold was my favourite of theirs. I could still stick on Telegraph Road and tune out for 15 minutes.

Not that I'm that bothered about the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame but they are a seriously strange omission.

Maybe they've been asked and Knopfler refused, he is a bit of a curmudgeon after all. Did they ever actually split up anyway?

• Like 3

Love Over Gold was my favourite of theirs. I could still stick on Telegraph Road and tune out for 15 minutes.

Not that I'm that bothered about the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame but they are a seriously strange omission.

Maybe they've been asked and Knopfler refused, he is a bit of a curmudgeon after all. Did they ever actually split up anyway?

I don't know anything about the band, but that the RRHOF has ignored them shouldn't surprise anyone. Look what they did to Rush. And Yes was just inducted - AFTER Rush - even though Yes was already famous long before anyone ever heard of Rush.

Edited by Lorraine

I don't know anything about the band, but that the RRHOF has ignored them shouldn't surprise anyone. Look what they did to Rush.

True although Rush were very much a cult band, albeit a hugely popular one. Dire Straits were enormous, with massive worldwide mainstream appeal and critical acclaim too. They strike me as the kind of band Rolling Stone would've placed in the HoF at the first opportunity.

This phenomenal band deserves a thread of their own.

If there is one already, my apologies. I've given up trying to successfully use the TRF search feature.

Lorraine it's pretty easy to find band threads...

- Click on advanced search

- type bandname

- Match: only search in titles

• Like 1

This phenomenal band deserves a thread of their own.

If there is one already, my apologies. I've given up trying to successfully use the TRF search feature.

Lorraine it's pretty easy to find band threads...

- Click on advanced search

- type bandname

- Match: only search in titles

Thank you. :cheers:

Mick

You don't like Money For Nothing then?

it;'s ok. But no not my fav.

Mick

• Like 1

The band ended after touring for On Every Street, and releasing a couple of live compilations. Per Wiki...

Session drummer Chris Whitten joined Dire Straits as a side-man when the band embarked on an extensive two-year, 300-show tour, playing in front of some 7.1 million ticket-buying fans. While musically more elaborate than the previous 1985–86 world tour, the band's gruelling final tour was not as successful. It proved to be too much for Dire Straits, and by this time Mark Knopfler had had enough of such massive operations. This led to the group's second and final break-up. Bill Flanagan described the sequence of events in Gentleman's Quarterly: "The subsequent world tour lasted nearly two years, made mountains of money and drove Dire Straits into the ground. When the tour was over, both Knopfler's marriage and his band were gone".[10] The last stop on the tour and the final touring concert of the group took place on 9 October 1992 in Zaragoza, Spain.

Dire Straits' final album, Live at the BBC, was a collection of live recordings spanning from 1978 to 1981, which mostly featured the original line-up of the band.[49] Released in June 1995, their third and final live album was a contractual release to Vertigo Records (now a division of Mercury Records).[49] At this time, Mark Knopfler quietly disbanded Dire Straits and prepared to work on his first full-fledged solo album (still signed to Mercury Records).

BUT...

In 2011, Alan Clark, Chris White, and Phil Palmer, along with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' drummer Steve Ferrone, put together a band called "The Straits", to perform at a charity show at the Royal Albert Hall in London.[57]

AND...

http://www.direstraitsexperience.com/

Edited by goose

Making Movies is my favorite too. I love the first five albums and even like the last one too.

On Every Street has good songs, it just isn't as cohesive an album as the others. Suffers from Long CD disease a bit. Planet of New Orleans is a solid track.

• Like 3

I'm going to have to listen to those earlier albums today.

I agree that Mark's guitar sound (is that what you mean by "tone"?) is distinctive. So is Eric Clapton's. Eric's tone still sounds like it's from the sixties though. Mark's is totally unique.

Edited by Lorraine

I'm going to have to listen to those earlier albums today.

I agree that Mark's guitar sound (is that what you mean by "tone"?) is distinctive. So is Eric Clapton's. Eric's tone is still sounds like it's from the sixties though. Mark's is totally unique.

Yep. Instantly recognizable.