Battle of debuts: Van Halen vs Montrose?

Texas King

Battle of debuts: Van Halen vs Montrose?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Battle of debuts: Van Halen vs Montrose?

• Van Halen S/T(1978)
    • Montrose(1973)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCALsTTA1Rk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A88-h_SzpNg

I love both, but in my book Montrose album has bigger balls and no cheesy moments - I'm going with that one!

And I know Van Halen is enormously beloved here so I suppose they will win this easily, as always.

What cheesy moments exist on the Van Halen debut?

The first Van Halen blows that first Montrose record away.

The first Montrose record is Sammy's only masterpiece. He had some stellar songs with Capital and a few good albums with Geffen. He totally shit the bed in Van Hagar. Sammy is one of the most overrated musicians in the world.

However he is a very smart and very lucky businessman. He sold that shitty Cabo Wabo tequila company and made 80 million dollars. Amazing man.

A genius.

He makes shitty solo albums.

He made shitty Sam Halen records.

He made a shitty tequila product in a nifty bottle.

I still have one sealed with a real cork inside.

Alas, he has fooled everyone.

Smart man.

Just not a fan.

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

"Cheesy?" Is there any successful singer who wrote more cheesy lyrics than Sammy? Ever? Maybe Coverdale.

:musicnote: You're hard, sweet, and stickaaaaayyyy!!! :musicnote:

:haz:

• Like 2

"Cheesy?" Is there any successful singer who wrote more cheesy lyrics than Sammy? Ever? Maybe Coverdale.

Exactly.

Slip and slide. Push it in. B*tch sure got the rhythm. Good grief Sammy.

• Like 1

Hahaha! I love the Coverdale cheese! "Come N Get It." "Slide It In" "Slow N Easy"

Coverdale is a genius. Heck timing is everything. I just got done cranking "Come Taste The Band." I love all of the Deep Purple Coverdale MK's the most!

• Like 1

"Kitten's Got Claws"

I love that song. I dedicated it to Baby Cat years ago! Such a purrrfect song for the one and only Cat.

Meow!

Hahaha! I love the Coverdale cheese! "Come N Get It." "Slide It In" "Slow N Easy"

Coverdale is a genius. Heck timing is everything. I just got done cranking "Come Taste The Band." I love all of the Deep Purple Coverdale MK's the most!

Me too Earl.

• Like 1

Me too Earl.

Cheers my brother!

Humans who think that Whitesnake albums like "Love Hunter" and and "Come N Get It" possess cheese well simply just don't get real rock. "Saints And Sinners" is a masterpiece. "Ready N Willing" is another gem. Jesus.

Sammy is better than you think. Van Hagar was great, he's got a bunch of good songs from his solo days, and Montrose was good. Chickenfoot, on the other hand...that sucked.

I own it all K and I've seen it all. Back when I was in high school and college I went to every Van Halen concert. I loved it when I was young. Boy was I stupid.

I can't listen to 5150 today. I wore out the record in high school.

I saw BTO open up for Van Hagar. BTO was better! Alex and his lame ass electronic kit.

His stupid drum solo. All Simmons pads. His amazing clear octoban set up was just for show. Didn't touch them.

Thank GOD I saw the 1984 Tour! MiND-BLOWING!

I know Sammy is very talented. I just grew apart from him over the years. Just like my ex wife.

Sammy is better than you think. Van Hagar was great, he's got a bunch of good songs from his solo days, and Montrose was good. Chickenfoot, on the other hand...that sucked.

Standing Hampton.

The album, not the erection.

• Like 2

Standing Hampton.

The album, not the erection.

I think I have typed that Sammy has some great stuff with Capital and some great stuff with Geffen.

I love "Standing Hampton." I love "Three Lock Box."

"VOA" is his last solid work.

• Like 1

"MAS TEQUILA!"

Not bad.

I saw the Sammy Hagar/Montrose Tour in Concord with my dad! It was awesome!

I thought it was amazing that MONTROSE headlined over Sammy's bland. I mean band.

I saw a show at Tahoe and it was killer, but Sammy headlined.

Hagar's solo album with Where Eagles Fly isn't too bad.

Oh...guess where I'm going in September.

:dweez:

• Like 1