• Please log in to reply
467 replies to this topic

#461 Mr. Not

Mr. Not

Spaceman Spiff

• Members *
  • 101103 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:29 PM

As of today, I finally have finished listening to each Dir En Grey studio album at least once.

I can definitely understand why UROBOROS is one of MK's favorites.
As for Kisou, for now it simply sounds like a bridge between MACABRE and VULGAR to me, which means it's good - just nothing new.

Sponsored Post

#462 PolarizeMe

PolarizeMe

Vapor Trail

• Validating
  • 18557 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:02 PM

View PostMr. Not, on 10 January 2018 - 09:29 PM, said:

I can definitely understand why UROBOROS is one of MK's favorites.
Because it’s their best album.

#463 PolarizeMe

PolarizeMe

Vapor Trail

• Validating
  • 18557 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:07 AM

I came very close to putting Code Orange on the most recent MK. Not because I liked them (in fact, I actually think they're only tolerable at their best and a comedy sketch at their worst), but because I wanted to get a confirmation that they aren't good from Not and Sean. This happens to be from that Dillinger show and me and my friends (a majority of the group hate Code Orange) were practically laughing at each other at their stage presence, questionable wearing of a band's own t-shirts, ridiculous ski masks and mockingly shouted out Code Orange stage banters at one another...such as the now infamous "WE! ARE! CODE! ORANGE! FROM! PITTSBURG! PENNSYLVANIA! DON'T! YOU! EVER! FORGET! THAT!"

Edited by PolarizeMe, 11 January 2018 - 06:07 AM.

#464 PolarizeMe

PolarizeMe

Vapor Trail

• Validating
  • 18557 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:34 PM

^ For the record, I sat myself down before going to bed the night before RIP Dillinger to listen to Code Orange specifically their latest, newest and Grammy nominated album cause I had not listen to their music at all up till that point. It was...uh...very awkwardly cut...it was like they were disoriented when they mixed and edited the album on ProTools. Either that, or they are just not good songwriters yet. I'd definitely would be more inclined to listen to them first before Tool because on technicality, metal sounding hardcore punk is the non-DEG/non-Aaron Turner related side of experimental or underground metal that does anything for me these days...whereas, oh forget about the Tool part.

Edited by PolarizeMe, 11 January 2018 - 09:35 PM.

#465 PolarizeMe

PolarizeMe

Vapor Trail

• Validating
  • 18557 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:41 PM

My friend Nick made an excellent observation when I questioned why Code Orange left me lukewarm whereas I was instantly hooked on Full of Hell considering the two made a split together and toured in their earlier days (back when Code Orange was called "Code Orange Kids"). He said, Full of Hell went more experimental whereas Code Orange went more mainstream/crossover appeal.

He was pretty spot on. Full of Hell would never be nominated for a Grammy. Code Orange on the other hand exploded in 2017 because the stars aligned for them. They signed to Roadrunner after previously signed to (Converge frontman Jacob Bannon's) Deathwish and released the critically (but not fan) lauded Forever, and subsequently given a Grammy nod for the title track.

#466 PolarizeMe

PolarizeMe

Vapor Trail

• Validating
  • 18557 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:45 PM

One last comment on that Code Orange video. The video's length has their full set lasting 33:56. I recalled that for me watching their set on that fateful night, I thought it lasted 10 minutes longer than that.

Daughters' set was uploaded and that too was around a half hour, yet I felt it was shorter than that and remembered feeling bummed cause I actually love Daughters (it was the same Nick friend of mine in question who introduced me to them a year and a half ago and later had me vacate his extra ticket for one of their headlining Vitus shows when his friend bailed). Dillinger's set lasted almost an exact hour and 45 minutes.

Edited by PolarizeMe, 11 January 2018 - 09:46 PM.

#467 Mr. Not

Mr. Not

Spaceman Spiff

• Members *
  • 101103 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:40 PM

Alien Beans came in the mail today, one of the joys of preordering is getting the album earlier than the release date (even if just by one day...)

All I gotta says is that the I found out why the two singles were let downs... It's because they're of the weaker half of the album. I get why they're the singles, they're accessible songs.. With that in mind, Freight Train is a decent song, while Johnny Guitar is a rather boring song with a good guitar riff to carry it.

First impression song rankings(EMPHASIS on FIRST IMPRESSION) :
1. This Time (Gem Tabor)
2. Until This Day Is Done (Typical Tabor finale, but w/ an extended and interesting solo section outro)
3. Back It Down (Metal Tabor)
4. Somebody Lied (Typical Tabor)
5. Deeper Place (Solemn Tabor)
6. Freight Train (Single-song Tabor)
7. Alien Beans (Instrumental Intro)
8. Heavily Twisted (Experimental Tabor, maybe?)
9. Johnny Guitar (Riff-song Tabor)
0. So Here's To You (Acoustic Tabor)

#468 PolarizeMe

PolarizeMe

Vapor Trail

• Validating
  • 18557 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:26 PM

View PostPolarizeMe, on 11 January 2018 - 09:41 PM, said:

Code Orange signed to Roadrunner after previously signed to (Converge frontman Jacob Bannon's) Deathwish and released the critically (but not fan) lauded Forever, and subsequently given a Grammy nod for the title track.
Yet in spite of my indifference towards the band, I kind of hope that they actually pull an upset and actually win the Grammy over Mastodon and Meshuggah.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users