Reissued And Repackaged Rush Cd Bootleg Thread! "Pinkpop 1979" A Dutch Radio Broadcast!

RUSHHEAD666

I've been buying Rush boots on lp and cd since forever. I know it's not good for the artist but I am sure RUSH can still live on their constant and still very current income.

I've noticed at my local record stores over the last two years that there are a ton of cd bootlegs. Repackaged and sealed with amazing artwork and pics."

There are a ton of RUSH cd reissued boots sealed. Both on vinyl and cd.

This seems like a very interesting trend because these bootleg companies are pressing these live cds for many bands not just RUSH. For instance I see a lot of Guns N Roses boots sealed. Jackson Browne, Eagles, Georgia Satellites, Blue Oyster Cult, Van Halen, on and on and on.

Well I finally found a Rush cd today worthy to thread about.

"Pinkpop 1979" is off the charts!! "Hemispheres" Tour of course. My favorite!

The sound quality is amazing.

The picture on the back of the booklet is of this incredible picture of Neil's kit! It's beyond incredible!!!!

Greatest band ever created!!

RIP

• Like 5

The Georgia Satellites were one of the best live bands I've ever seen

Earl, what song does the Pinkpop CD start with ?? ... I've never heard Anthem from that show, which they HAD to have opened with ... All the recordings I have heard start with A Passage, but we know they didn't walk out onstage and play that first

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

I believe there were technical difficulties with Anthem at that gig. The late great John Peel said as much on his radio show once (he was a compere at Pinkpop) although he was most definitely not a Rush fan and seemed delighted that the PA packed in during their first number :D
  • Like 2

The Georgia Satellites were one of the best live bands I've ever seen

Earl, what song does the Pinkpop CD start with ?? ... I've never heard Anthem from that show, which they HAD to have opened with ... All the recordings I have heard start with A Passage, but we know they didn't walk out onstage and play that first

I love Georgia Satellites too!!

This cd version has an intro then it goes right into "Passage" so yes, "Anthem" sadly is not on this version either.

• Like 1

And you'll notice the proliferation of bootleg radio recordings are released on European labels, I ripped the following comments from another forum...

"These are the result of a loophole in EU copyright law:

A radio broadcast of a concert that took place outside of the EU is considered public domain in certain European countries.

This is NOT the law in the US, so these recordings are, in fact, bootlegs in the US.

These CDs are loophole legal in some countries of the EU, however. "

• Like 3

And you'll notice the proliferation of bootleg radio recordings are released on European labels, I ripped the following comments from another forum...

"These are the result of a loophole in EU copyright law:

A radio broadcast of a concert that took place outside of the EU is considered public domain in certain European countries.

This is NOT the law in the US, so these recordings are, in fact, bootlegs in the US.

These CDs are loophole legal in some countries of the EU, however. "

Yes!!! Wow! So most of these boots that are sealed and packaged with real booklets and silver cd pressings are actually still illegal?

I am surprised my local record stores bring them in.

I'm mean I am a cd whore and I love them but damn! I get it!

"Loophole Legal"

Sounds like my next poem.

LOL

I know Pinkpop is a favorite boot here, but I don't care for it that much. I think there are better from that time period. Don't ask me which ones though. I haven't listened to my boots in a very long time. Must do so the coming week.

I do agree with the quality of the recordings being amazing. Especially for the late seventies.

• Like 1

Speaking of repackaged bootlegs, I was surprised at seeing this jump out at me at the local FYE store.

http://oldies.scdn5.secure.raxcdn.com/i/boxart/w340/68/34/823564683423.jpg?v=3

• Like 2

I know Pinkpop is a favorite boot here, but I don't care for it that much. I think there are better from that time period. Don't ask me which ones though. I haven't listened to my boots in a very long time. Must do so the coming week.

I do agree with the quality of the recordings being amazing. Especially for the late seventies.

YES!!

• Like 2

I've been buying Rush boots on lp and cd since forever. I know it's not good for the artist but I am sure RUSH can still live on their constant and still very current income.

I've noticed at my local record stores over the last two years that there are a ton of cd bootlegs. Repackaged and sealed with amazing artwork and pics."

This seems like a very interesting trend because these bootleg companies are pressing these live cds for many bands not just RUSH. For instance I see a lot of Guns N Roses boots sealed. Jackson Browne, Eagles, Georgia Satellites, Blue Oyster Cult, Van Halen, on and on and on.

The picture on the back of the booklet is of this incredible picture of Neil's kit! It's beyond incredible!!!!

RIP

Kind of surprised you don't have these already.

Haven't bothered with any of these repackages myself. Some of the art is nice, but there's no guarantee many of these aren't MP3 sourced. Bought the first silver releases years ago and even have many of the boots they were copied from, but nothing from the last 10 to 15 years or so.

RIP

Haven't bothered with any of these repackages myself. Some of the art is nice, but there's no guarantee many of these aren't MP3 sourced. Bought the first silver releases years ago and even have many of the boots they were copied from, but nothing from the last 10 to 15 years or so.

Hahaha! I sometimes surprise myself. I do have Pinkpop already on cd. But it's been years and I have too much stuff. I think I have a rare boot of Pinkpop on the Metal Memory label. They put a lot of the Rush boots out back in the day.

I love the repackaging attempt and I am always hoping for a better sound and pressing. Being an audiophile is like being a cocaine or heroin junky. I'm always hoping my next fix is better than the last.

Not bad for a guy who has never done drugs.

Well I do enjoy beer. Nectar of the Godz.

• Like 2

Although I do like and have kept all my hard copies of the bootlegs I purchased years ago, I find the flood of cds and vinyl boots a bit pointless. Now if they offered significant upgrades in sound quality, were more complete or {heaven forfend) actually unearthed a previously unavailable show, then I would say these boots are worthwhile. As it is, someone is repackaging recordings that have been available for free for years.

That Pink Pop show would be a perfect show to upgrade. i) It's not a complete show and ii) while a very good sounding show, it sounds like it was recorded from the broadcast , a pre-FM source would be fantastic.

• Like 2

RIP

Hahaha! I sometimes surprise myself. I do have Pinkpop already on cd. But it's been years and I have too much stuff. I think I have a rare boot of Pinkpop on the Metal Memory label. They put a lot of the Rush boots out back in the day.

I love the repackaging attempt and I am always hoping for a better sound and pressing. Being an audiophile is like being a cocaine or heroin junky. I'm always hoping my next fix is better than the last.

Yeah...Metal Memory that's one of the silvers I have. Rushian Roulette (there's an original title.) Came out in 1991. One of the earlier ones..... Two years later the same show showed up under a different name. A Right To Passage. I think that one sounds a bit better.

Can't say I'm confident a better sounding version of this or most anything else that's been in circulation will sound better (unless the band gets hold of it and cleans it up.) Nobody is going to invest the time these days if they aren't a fan to find the best recording out there or take the time to clean one up.

It easier to burn MP3s to a disc or vinyl and try to make the packaging look pretty (And some of the packaging does look good. Nice hook for those unfamiliar with the history.)

• Like 1

Although I do like and have kept all my hard copies of the bootlegs I purchased years ago, I find the flood of cds and vinyl boots a bit pointless. Now if they offered significant upgrades in sound quality, were more complete or {heaven forfend) actually unearthed a previously unavailable show, then I would say these boots are worthwhile. As it is, someone is repackaging recordings that have been available for free for years.

That Pink Pop show would be a perfect show to upgrade. i) It's not a complete show and ii) while a very good sounding show, it sounds like it was recorded from the broadcast , a pre-FM source would be fantastic.

I think that's what I heard too. It was recorded from the radio. In this case I don't think this show was ever pressed to be broadcast on radio (Aside from the original Pink Pop vinyl which is of course just a bootleg) like say.... St. Louis 1980, Grace Under Pressure or Exit...Stage Left.

• Like 1

RIP

Yeah...Metal Memory that's one of the silvers I have. Rushian Roulette (there's an original title.) Came out in 1991. One of the earlier ones..... Two years later the same show showed up under a different name. A Right To Passage. I think that one sounds a bit better.

Can't say I'm confident a better sounding version of this or most anything else that's been in circulation will sound better (unless the band gets hold of it and cleans it up.) Nobody is going to invest the time these days if they aren't a fan to find the best recording out there or take the time to clean one up.

It easier to burn MP3s to a disc or vinyl and try to make the packaging look pretty (And some of the packaging does look good. Nice hook for those unfamiliar with the history.)

Hahaha! I have all of the RUSH "silvers" buddy. Once and addict, always and addict.

I still have a ton of RUSH boots on vinyl too.

Signed,

Parents And Addicts

• Like 1

I think that's what I heard too. It was recorded from the radio. In this case I don't think this show was ever pressed to be broadcast on radio (Aside from the original Pink Pop vinyl which is of course just a bootleg) like say.... St. Louis 1980, Grace Under Pressure or Exit...Stage Left.

OMG! I have that St Louis on vinyl and somewhere on silver disc.

I have it all. Well that's probably impossible but I've been chasing RUSH boots since the late 80's.

Speaking of repackaged bootlegs, I was surprised at seeing this jump out at me at the local FYE store.

http://oldies.scdn5.secure.raxcdn.com/i/boxart/w340/68/34/823564683423.jpg?v=3

Same with me. I found the exact same boot some time back in an FYE in Albany NY. Plus I found a couple other boots at the same FYE. Grabbed them all. Actually, I already had one of the shows on the above boot on another CD but that was not stopping me. Good quality stuff. I keep going back looking for more - no luck yet.

The odds of a pre-broadcast tape of Pink Pop are slim. The editing of 2112 likely means that the show didn't go out "live" over the air, but rather at a later date. So the station would have had a tape of the show, edited it and then broadcast the truncated recording. The chances of the original tape still existing are small but what a find if that ever gets unearthed. Who knows maybe Ray got the master from the station. Would make for a great archival release. All speculation but I like speculating - it's fun
  • Like 1

The odds of a pre-broadcast tape of Pink Pop are slim. The editing of 2112 likely means that the show didn't go out "live" over the air, but rather at a later date. So the station would have had a tape of the show, edited it and then broadcast the truncated recording. The chances of the original tape still existing are small but what a find if that ever gets unearthed. Who knows maybe Ray got the master from the station. Would make for a great archival release. All speculation but I like speculating - it's fun

Love to know if Ole has a plan myself....