• Hold You Fire
    • Presto
    • Roll the Bones
    • Counterparts
    • Test for Echo
    • Vapor Trails
    • Snakes & Arrows
    • Clockwork Angels

I feel Clockwork Angels is a good album and a return to form ... But the last truly great Rush album is Moving Pictures

Grace comes close though

Agrees with this^^^

• Like 1

I'll go as far as Grace Under Pressure but I'm being loose with the word great...
  • Like 1

I flip between RTB and Counterparts as the last really good Rush album(s) before one highly flawed album after another. And even those two have issues (RTB has good lyrics and music with thin sound, CP has an awesome powerful sound but with questionable at best cheesy at worst lyrics and music)

Before CA, I'd have said PoW, though I do love T4E and Presto and do appreciate HYF and CP. Not to mention VT and SnA are each solid efforts in their own right.

However, CA is the greatest thing the've done since PoW, maybe even since Signals, so they definitely have gone out with their last great album, and what a great it is! :)

• Like 3

HYF For me. Last record for me that was a truly great listen.

but even as far back as 87 they were starting to pad their albums with unnecessary tracks.

High Water and Tai Shan........not needed.

but minus those tracks. HYF still is my fav Rush Album

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

After Moving Pictures they became self conscious and tried too hard not to repeat themselves and the result was still great but not as great. After Hold Your Fire they became more self conscious and tried to push the guitar, and while I agree that keyboards were not their strength, I think they found themselves on a search for their sound and made things more difficult for themselves. I like most of all the albums after HYF but I often skip a track or two on most of them.

CP gets my vote. It is the last album I can listen to without skipping a track (and yes, there are albums before that where I would skip at least one track).

If I use the skip test there a lot of albums that fall out of the running for me, so I'll go with TK's 80% test. Clockwork, Snakes and Vapor Trails all make the grade for me.

From each of those three I think you can build stellar 40-min albums.

• Like 1

Hold your Fire is , to me, the last of the great albums, starting with Fly by Night. After that, they started getting a bit spotty.