• Hold You Fire
    • Presto
    • Roll the Bones
    • Counterparts
    • Test for Echo
    • Vapor Trails
    • Snakes & Arrows
    • Clockwork Angels

As much as I love Snakes, CA is a much better album. Could've been a great album, but something was missing.

I also love Snakes, but I do score CA as a great album. There is some incredible material on that album.

As much as I love Snakes, CA is a much better album. Could've been a great album, but something was missing.

Way too long.

The album, not your post.

• Like 1

Way too long.

The album, not your post.

I would've been fine with just these tracks. "Fine" as in "I would've like CA more"...

1) Caravan

2) BU2B

3) Clockwork Angels

4) The Anarchist

5) Carnies

6) Headlong Flight

7) The Garden

*8) Bonus track: Seven Cities of Gold

((It's a bonus track because it's borderline filler for me.))

I don't dislike anything on CA but Seven Cities of Gold and the other four I omitted don't do anything for me. Four fillers plus one that's borderline filler...that's a lot!

• Like 2

The issue is not when they dropped because I could say Snakes and Arrows but 2112 is one of my least favourite rush albums. They have absolutely great albums and not good ones. Not a fan of Grace Under Pressure but Power Windows is my favorite followed by Hold Your Fire. Not all are concrete in that, everything after this is in decline. Although, Clockwork Angels was a disappointment.

I voted GUP for the last great album, because I love everything on that album. So that'd be the last of the 10s.

Power Windows I like but songs like Middletown Dreams and Emotion Detector I loath so that brings its scoring down.

Every album after that has a handful of songs I like, but overall their high ratio of filler to meat brings their scores way down...

So GUP it is...but what an album! :heart:

I totally get it.

I've ranked my top four Rush records by decade.

I'm sure it's on here somewhere.

70's "Hemispheres"

80's "Grace Under Pressure"

90's "Counterparts"

2000's "Snakes & Arrows"

I could listen to "RUSH" through "Hold Your Fire" on continuous loop. After that, it's a bit spotty. Presto? Some of those songs I had a personal connection with back in the day. Roll the Bones? Not so good by Rush standards, but still a solid album. Counterparts? Really love it, but not great within the Rush cannon. Test for Echo? Should have been aborted. Vapor Trails? If you can get your system set up just right, the songs are fantastic! Snakes and Arrows? Very good album. Not great. Clockwork Angels: Again- great album with great songs, but it is so much f***ing work to get it to SOUND good on your system, just like Vapor Trails...I'm sorry...what was the question again?

Hold your Fire for me. It's great for me and probably not for the majority, which is ok. It's like the band stop to make "great albums" after the synth era. It's like the magic has disappeared from their music since then.
  • Like 1

The word "great" is subjective. As an equalizer and a common denominator, I'd suggest we use the dictionary definition of "great". Great - of an extent, amount, or intensity considerably above the normal or average. If that's the definition, I'll take Clockwork Angels.

The word "great" is subjective. As an equalizer and a common denominator, I'd suggest we use the dictionary definition of "great". Great - of an extent, amount, or intensity considerably above the normal or average. If that's the definition, I'll take Clockwork Angels.

Fair enough.

What do you think is the average Rush album?

And what are a couple examples of below average Rush albums?

For me, all Rush albums are above average when compared to other bands. But if the benchmark here is Rush, measured against themselves, then for me, from the above list, GUP through RTB would classify as average or below average and i might include caress and fbn. From those not on the list above, I'd classify MP, Permanent Waves, Farewell, Hemispheres,2112, Counterparts, Clockwork and maybe Snakes as all well above their average... Imo Edited by Phantom
  • Like 2