The people who are saying "rock is dead"

fraroc

Interestingly enough, I find it almost a disproportionate amount of older people that are making this declaration that rock is dead as opposed to young people. Come to think of it, I have actually NEVER met anybody in their teens and twenties that told me "Oh why do you still listen to that old people shit? Rock is dead." Hell, when I was in college, people LIKED the fact that I have sort of an old school taste in music. They thought I was cool because I love rock and metal.

However, I have seen more comments online by people who say they're in their 40s and 50s saying things like "Oh well, all these young people learning guitar are just wasting their time because rock is dead." And I have a massive problem with that. Am I just "wasting my time" because I have a good music taste....

Another problem I have is the fact that a lot of these older people commenting seem to have a defeatist attitude towards the subject. "The youth nowadays don't think good music is cool anymore, I guess there's no point in trying to keep it alive. Just let it die."

This bothers me on a multitude of levels because it was everything I was saying not too long ago. Before I started to wake up and start searching few new good rock bands to listen to. What I found was a buried treasure trove of amazing new rock and metal bands from this current century. Evanescence, Lacuna Coil, Delain, Nightwish, Within Temptation, Sirenia, Amaranthe, The Birthday Massacre and many others. Hell, even youtubers like Jared Dines and Rob Scallion are doing a major part in keeping rock and metal alive and relevant!

I don't care how many old f***s want me to just roll over and accept that rock is dead. It is NOT dead and I refuse to go back to that old, narrow minded way of thinking.

Edited by fraroc

I think for Rock to be big again, a big die off needs to occur. Many of these older, geriatric bands need to retire. Look at the top grossing tours of 2016. Bruce Springsteen, U2, Paul McCartney, and Guns N Roses are very likely at the top of the list. How many rock bands that formed in the last 20 years even come close? The next 20 years are going to be very interesting because you may see a huge vacuum as a lot these huge rock bands vanish in an accelerated fashion. I wonder what will fill the void? Country, pop, hip hop?

Enough younger people do like classic rock/metal. Despite all the white-haired, middle age guys I see at shows, I see a surprising amount of people my age too. There's obviously still a large demand for these sorts of bands so I really hope new blood can seize this opportunity and get noticed.

• Like 2

fraroc, you place too much value on the opinions of strangers who disagree with you.

They're not even in any position of power over you in any way.

You mentioned those "old f***s" and their "narrow minded way of thinking". In fact, you're pretty narrow minded yourself since their different ideas shouldn't piss you off that much.

• Like 4

fraroc, you place too much value on the opinions of strangers who disagree with you.

You mentioned those "old f***s" and their "narrow minded way of thinking". In fact, you're pretty narrow minded yourself since their different ideas shouldn't piss you off that much.

Nobody can dictate what I can or cannot listen to, but if these people continue with the mindset of "rock is dying and there's no chance of it coming back, just give up", they're going to end up accomplishing the very thing they don't want, but it's not going to be the young people's fault.

Nobody can dictate what I can or cannot listen to, but if these people continue with the mindset of "rock is dying and there's no chance of it coming back, just give up", they're going to end up accomplishing the very thing they don't want, but it's not going to be the young people's fault.

The only effect those who say "Rock is dying" have is making you pissed off and worrying about nothing.

So, I guess in fraroc land their impact will, in fact, be great.

In the world of rock music, the effect will be absolutely zero.

• Like 1

fraroc, as I mentioned, I have a good friend who thinks along these lines

The next time you encounter someone who thinks that rock is dead, ask them what their Top 5 albums of 2016 or 2015 were ..

I guarantee they will say something along the lines of "I haven't bought / listened to a new album in years" with a shrug of the shoulders

Then ask them "Then how would you know ??"

Some people don't want there to be good new music .. they prefer to remain comfortable in the past, having attached themselves to music that reminds them of a happier time in their life ..

It's not the music that has died, it's the listener's passion , and that is sad

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 4

Older people have been saying rock is dead for decades now and it is still around. Don't worry about it. Talking about how things aren't as good as they were in my day is what older people do. It has no effect on anything and the world keeps going.
  • Like 2

The next time you encounter someone who thinks that rock is dead, ask them what their Top 5 albums of 2016 or 2015 were ..

I guarantee they will say something along the lines of "I haven't bought / listened to a new album in years" with a shrug of the shoulders

The ""Then how would you know" exchange is also useless. In fact, the exchange from that point is almost guaranteed to become worse.

Think about it. At the very best, the most open minded person would say, "Yeah, you're right. I don't know today's rock music very well."

And really, how many open minded people do you think you'd run across on the internets after challenging them with that particular wordage? There's no inflection or eye contact or body language going on in music forums.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

The ""Then how would you know" exchange is also useless. In fact, the exchange from that point is almost guaranteed to become worse.

Think about it. At the very best, the most open minded person would say, "Yeah, you're right. I don't know today's rock music very well."

And really, how many open minded people do you think you'd run across on the internets after challenging them with that particular wordage? There's no inflection or eye contact or body language going on in music forums.

Unfortunately, that's true . .

• Like 1

This is an example fo someone who thinks rock is dead ... Reasoning with them is difficult

Lucas: Hey, Mike, ya know that Ray Lamontagne album you really liked ?? .. it's actually not from the 70s .. It's brand new

http://i.makeagif.com/media/7-10-2017/Ox2TyM.gif

Tell me one thing. How are older people saying rock is dead going to kill off rock by themselves? if all the young people are going to the concerts, then what the older people have to say shouldn't affect it at all.

• Like 4

and if i recall you yourself used to bitch about rock dying.....so........yea. lol

Mick

I remember that too. I guess fraroc is an old f***

At least I don't have say it LMAO

Nickelback is very much alive...

.. and just about 30 years ago, so were these guys

http://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/16/fb/65/16fb6546a4457cf30eba0d82b027accf.jpg

I hated them on that show they were on too!

http://68.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6x9teH63z1r9cpuco1_500.gif

• Like 2

Unfortunately, that's true . .

Paul!

http://media.reason.com/mc/2014_08/Templeton.jpg.jpg

• Like 1

Tell me one thing. How are older people saying rock is dead going to kill off rock by themselves? if all the young people are going to the concerts, then what the older people have to say shouldn't affect it at all.

:yes:

If I thought saying "(x) is dead" would've actually affected (x), I would've said that line in regards to modern country music, gangsta rap, Japanese enka, my boss 15 years ago, certain world leaders, ...

:yes:

If I thought saying "(x) is dead" would've actually affected (x), I would've said that line in regards to modern country music, gangsta rap, Japanese enka, my boss 15 years ago, certain world leaders, ...

Well exactly. People like to complain. I think part of the problem is that mainstream radio isn't a big thing anymore and new artists aren't getting played. So people aren't aware of what's going on in the music industry, which is a real shame. If all the exposure you get to music is through something like American Idol then it's understandable. Unfortunately though, I do believe that the era of big rock concerts with up and coming bands is a huge lull.

• Like 2

Being one of these "old f***s" that fraroc charmingly alludes to, I can state categorically that I do not think rock is dead, nor have I ever heard any of my contemparies or peers doing so...

fraroc, this "old f**k" doesn't care if you listen to your music, use the disks as coasters, or shove them so far up your rectum you'd need a toothbrush to clean them...

• Like 2