The people who are saying "rock is dead"

fraroc

I'd never believe rock is dead. You guys keep mentioning bands I have never heard of and I know there's a lot out there to discover. Being one of the geriatric folks to whom you refer, I know I surprise people with my love of rock because they seem to think I "should" (judging from my age) be listening to something more mellow like girl singers (whom I hate). My father used to say I was wasting my time with rock, because it would never last, that it was just a fad. I'd rather hope that hip hop was dead.
  • Like 2

Rock is very much alive and well .. In fact, IMHO, there is more good stuff now than there has been for decades

I disagree mostly because you usually have to dig to find "good stuff" nowadays. Decades ago you could find treasure at the surface too.

• Like 3

Who and where are all these old people that are dying to discuss the state of modern rock music?

There must be at least 4 or 5 non-modern rock loving geezers on music forums out there saying what they think and causing fraroc to wave his fist at his computer screen while shouting,

Nobody can dictate what I can or cannot listen to

These 4 or 5 non-modern rock loving geezers will determine the fate of rock music with their words! Red alert! Red alert!

and if i recall you yourself used to bitch about rock dying.....so........yea. lol

Mick

I remember that too. I guess fraroc is an old f***

before people get on me. i don't care if he bitches about......but stay consistent damn it, lol

Mick

i'm 32. do i count as an old F**k yet?

off to my Peter Paul and Mary. Oh i loved them so when i was about ye high. i'll grab some ovaltine. get out my old victrola and listen while my old dog buck is at my feet. with my dentures on the side table..

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Rock is very much alive and well .. In fact, IMHO, there is more good stuff now than there has been for decades

I disagree mostly because you usually have to dig to find "good stuff" nowadays. Decades ago you could find treasure at the surface too.

I'd disagree to the point where I think there's just as much good and bad stuff as it's always been but these days it's easier to find bad stuff on the surface and the good stuff's usually beneath the cracks.
  • Like 2

This is true, but on the flipside, the access to new music now is unlimited ... In the 70s, we relied on radio, magazines and some late night TV shows ... The 80s opened up access with MTV, but nowadays with the internet - esp youtube - discovering new music is easier ....

There might be more digging required, but the soil is a lot more fertile

• Like 1

This is true, but on the flipside, the access to new music now is unlimited ... In the 70s, we relied on radio, magazines and some late night TV shows ... The 80s opened up access with MTV, but nowadays with the internet - esp youtube - discovering new music is easier ....

There might be more digging required, but the soil is a lot more fertile

Spotify too. there really is no excuse for saying new music is unaccessable

my 69 year old uncle LOVES spotify.

and he still loves finding new music.

Mick

• Like 3

fraroc, you place too much value on the opinions of strangers who disagree with you.

They're not even in any position of power over you in any way.

You mentioned those "old f***s" and their "narrow minded way of thinking". In fact, you're pretty narrow minded yourself since their different ideas shouldn't piss you off that much.

I'm an old f*** (60+) and I'm still looking and consuming new music but that's not the norm for my age.

Currently I'm obsessed with Elder, King Buffalo, Follkazoid and BISON B.C. Love these bands.

I agree that that majority of the older generation are not that interested in new music because "We've seen all the cool bands" :codger: :blush:

• Like 2

I am still looking for new music and finding it..AND creating it. Thank god.

But we are kidding ourselves if we believe that music in general will ever be the cultural force it once was. There are too many other potential diversions/means of escapism now.

Edited by Mystic Slipperman

But we are kidding ourselves if we believe that music in general will ever be the cultural force it once was. There are too many other potential diversions/means of escapism now.

well i believe everything runs in cycles. we all may not see it. but it wiill rise to the front again.

Mick

• Like 1

well i believe everything runs in cycles. we all may not see it. but it wiill rise to the front again.

Mick

Believe me, man, I WANT to believe that! :)

• Like 1

Do you ever read the comments under music youtube vids? Never fails, and there's always at least one who says how they lament the crapola music today compared to yesteryear.

and if i recall you yourself used to bitch about rock dying.....so........yea. lol

Mick

That was my first thought when I saw the thread "Isn't he one of the ones who think it's dead?"

Fraroc must be one of them "old f**ks. Memory loss, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Do you ever read the comments under music youtube vids? Never fails, and there's always at least one who says how they lament the crapola music today compared to yesteryear.

Yeah.. I have noticed that. People love to hear themselves talk sometimes... LOL

• Like 1

9 times out of 10 it's some music illiterate millennial who goes along the lines of "I wish people from my generation could enjoy this kind of music", "Just let me get my (insert band here) album and travel out of this generation shit", "I wish I was old enough to see (insert '60s/'70s/'80s/'90s band here", "I hate my generation's music", "I'm only 15 and I listen to (insert '60s/'70s/'80s/'90s band here), I was born in the wrong generation and I wish kids from my generation would listen to..." and well...you get the point.

I highly doubt someone in their 30s/40s would take time to go on YouTube and bitch and moan about the crapcake music that comes out of the mainstream and use that as rhetoric on why this era of music sucks compared to their heyday. I'm in my early 20s and I don't bother with lamenting over this cause it's wasteful use of time and energy.

• Like 1

Mick

That was my first thought when I saw the thread "Isn't he one of the ones who think it's dead?"

Fraroc must be one of them "old f**ks. Memory loss, lol

Mick

And in my last paragraph, I described that the reason why that whole defeatist attitude bothers me is because not to long ago, I had the same exact thoughts as the "rock is dead" group. I got out of that mindset by finding good new music to listen to.