Corvettes at Carlisle: I Have No Idea What I Want

JohnRogers

I'm going to Corvettes at Carlisle to shop for my Corvette. Problem is I'm no longer sure what the hell I want anymore...

Although I’m a Mopar guy I did briefly enjoy C4 ownership back in 2001, every red blooded American gearhead should own a Corvette. My 1996 LT4 was a blast to drive but eventually family situations changed and a few years later the modern Dodge Challenger called to me. As I opened my business in 2014 the fun stuff was sold.

It is time for something other than the family trickster grocery getter. I have a modest budget this time.

Roger Moore

My wife and I are of the generation that pictures the C3 shape in our minds when someone says Corvette. The C3 is the Roger Moore James Bond of the car world. Stunning in its inception but hung around too long becoming a punchline, yet when someone says James Bond its Roger Moore in the mind’s eye. You don’t see that iconic shape on the road much anymore. Yes the C3 is truly iconic. If you skip the chrome bumper cars it can be a bargain driver. So I was fixated on a 1978-1982 as a fun driver my wife and I can enjoy on weekend road trips. The ultimate goal the 82 CE, fuel injection a nice plus.

Then I made the mistake of looking in the C4 For Sale section…

Familiar Territory

A fine well cared for ‘96 CE priced right. I always liked that ‘96 CE. Automatic this time so my better half can drive it too. Dependable enough for carefree cross country driving yet I’ve seen this movie before. Been there, done that. The late C4 is a clean shape yet unremarkable but maybe I need to consider the C4 while at Carlisle. The ulitmaite driver bargain…so I thought.

Then I read an article at Road & Track http://www.roadandtr....old-or-bought/

Modern Day Warrior Mean-Mean Stride

The C5 is the ultimate driving bargain. An LS1, transaxle, hydroform boxed frame, American torque brute. The Corvette that can compete with the best of Europe and Japan. It has everything a guy familiar with modern muscle cars can relate with and enjoy. They are everywhere, seen yet un-noticed. What sane man passes up the C5?

What Corvette do I leave Carlisle with? On the subject, tips for smooth car corral transactions would also be appreciated.

• Like 3

The '82 was still pretty sweet looking

http://cdn.barrett-jackson.com/staging/carlist/items/Fullsize/Cars/151465/151465_Front_3-4_Web.JPG

Sweet looking, yes. Performance wise, about as fast as a Chevy Sonic with the 1.4 L Turbo. :(
  • Like 2

Being a 70's kid, the C3 always looks really good to me, but the C5 looks a lot sharper than I had realized! I don't think you can go wrong with a Corvette, really.

As a soon to be TrueCorvetteOwner™ , you might want to join the corvette forum.com? They seem to have answers about going to Carlisle and such.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3687095-going-to-carlisle-for-the-first-time-need-advice.html

What's your budget? You can find some "affordable" big blocks from 1971 -1972, and the performance wasn't sucked out of them yet. If you are more interested in a classic Vette, that is where I would go.

If you want the performance of a newer Vette, you can get an early 2000 for around $20,000.

I'm not sure how winter hits your area, but here in Michigan I start seeing alot of Craigslist ads around October and November for hot summer cars. These are guys that got tired of their summer toy and want to sell it rather than store it for another winter. That's when you can find a good deal.

then there's the guy across my street that has a vintage late 60s firebird and only brings it out of the garage a handful of times a year. I don't get that...gotta nice ride? then drive the dam thing.

Edited by HemiBeers

I'm going to Corvettes at Carlisle to shop for my Corvette. Problem is I'm no longer sure what the hell I want anymore...

Although I’m a Mopar guy I did briefly enjoy C4 ownership back in 2001, every red blooded American gearhead should own a Corvette. My 1996 LT4 was a blast to drive but eventually family situations changed and a few years later the modern Dodge Challenger called to me. As I opened my business in 2014 the fun stuff was sold.

It is time for something other than the family trickster grocery getter. I have a modest budget this time.

Roger Moore

My wife and I are of the generation that pictures the C3 shape in our minds when someone says Corvette. The C3 is the Roger Moore James Bond of the car world. Stunning in its inception but hung around too long becoming a punchline, yet when someone says James Bond its Roger Moore in the mind’s eye. You don’t see that iconic shape on the road much anymore. Yes the C3 is truly iconic. If you skip the chrome bumper cars it can be a bargain driver. So I was fixated on a 1978-1982 as a fun driver my wife and I can enjoy on weekend road trips. The ultimate goal the 82 CE, fuel injection a nice plus.

Familiar Territory

A fine well cared for ‘96 CE priced right. I always liked that ‘96 CE. Automatic this time so my better half can drive it too. Dependable enough for carefree cross country driving yet I’ve seen this movie before. Been there, done that. The late C4 is a clean shape yet unremarkable but maybe I need to consider the C4 while at Carlisle. The ulitmaite driver bargain…so I thought.

The C5 is the ultimate driving bargain. An LS1, transaxle, hydroform boxed frame, American torque brute. The Corvette that can compete with the best of Europe and Japan. It has everything a guy familiar with modern muscle cars can relate with and enjoy. They are everywhere, seen yet un-noticed. What sane man passes up the C5?

What Corvette do I leave Carlisle with? On the subject, tips for smooth car corral transactions would also be appreciated.

Just get a nice E-body instead like a rag top cuda if you want sporty.. 340 and a 4 speed.. Think about it ;)

Roger Moore

Familiar Territory

Just get a nice E-body instead like a rag top cuda if you want sporty.. 340 and a 4 speed.. Think about it ;)

Lend me $38K.

• Like 1

If you can find a '73 with the 454, you'll have the last year that motor appeared in a Corvette. But it might be pricey and wouldn't fit in your budget.

Personally, I like the C5 more than your other 2 listed. Smoother, rounded lines and plenty of power available.

Edited by Fordgalaxy
  • Like 1

http://cdn.barrett-jackson.com/staging/carlist/items/Fullsize/Cars/151465/151465_Front_3-4_Web.JPG

Sweet looking, yes. Performance wise, about as fast as a Chevy Sonic with the 1.4 L Turbo. :(

You can always put something bigger under the hood at a later time ... The C4s and the ones that have followed have very little resale value

The 78-82s are a great value right now ... Those engines are easy to swap

As a soon to be TrueCorvetteOwner™ , you might want to join the corvette forum.com? They seem to have answers about going to Carlisle and such.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3687095-going-to-carlisle-for-the-first-time-need-advice.html

I did join a couple of years ago. The plan was to buy a late 70's Vette and have it wrapped as a rolling advertisement for my cigar lounge. My budget ran out so the Vette idea was tabled.

As a 70's child you understand my dilemma.

What's your budget? You can find some "affordable" big blocks from 1971 -1972, and the performance wasn't sucked out of them yet. If you are more interested in a classic Vette, that is where I would go.

If you want the performance of a newer Vette, you can get an early 2000 for around $20,000.

Due to some "life changes" my budget is modest this time aboot $15,000. So the BB chrome bumper cars are out but a low mileage 2001 C5 base coupe is totally in reach.

I'm not sure how winter hits your area, but here in Michigan I start seeing alot of Craigslist ads around October and November for hot summer cars. These are guys that got tired of their summer toy and want to sell it rather than store it for another winter. That's when you can find a good deal.

then there's the guy across my street that has a vintage late 60s firebird and only brings it out of the garage a handful of times a year. I don't get that...gotta nice ride? then drive the dam thing.

A guy at the Corvette Forum suggested the winter savings plan as well. I too am a believer that cars are meant to be driven, some less in better weather but driven.

• Like 2

You can always put something bigger under the hood at a later time ... The C4s and the ones that have followed have very little resale value

The C4 is dirt cheap in collector car purgatory while the C3 continues to rise in value. The C5 are just used cars continuing to depreciate.

Engine swapping isn't even necessary. The C3 in most states except probably California is exempt so you can modify the original engine. Which most times is basically increasing the compression ratio.

• Like 1

IMHO I'd take the C5. Can't say I like the newer Vettes.

Just got off the Carlisle website, looks like that will be a blast. I had a similar experience earlier this year at Barrett-Jackson West Palm Beach.

Edited by pjbear05
  • Like 1

The C4 is dirt cheap in collector car purgatory while the C3 continues to rise in value. The C5 are just used cars continuing to depreciate.

Engine swapping isn't even necessary. The C3 in most states except probably California is exempt so you can modify the original engine. Which most times is basically increasing the compression ratio.

If you want an investment, get a C3. If you want a Vette because of the performance, then go C5.

If you want an investment, get a C3. If you want a Vette because of the performance, then go C5.

I've been digging deep on the C5 the last 48 hours. I can't pass up that performance bargain. I love carving twisty back country roads.

• Like 1

The only reason I wouldn't buy a car like that is because I would always be worried about it getting stolen. It happens a lot. The other day I found out that Rob Thomas from Matchbox 20 spent 2 months in jail for stealing a car. Someone stole my aunt's car from a parkade and it was only a Buick. Edited by Boots

I loved the C3 when I was a kid.

Keep in mind, that the later 70's and 80's sucked when it came to domestic sports cars so the Vette didn't have to have much under the hood back then to be considered a fast car. And I still think it's a cool looking car. But I would never bother swapping an engine in one when I could just get a used C6 that would perform much better in every metric of performance.

• Like 2

The only reason I wouldn't buy a car like that is because I would always be worried about it getting stolen. It happens a lot. The other day I found out that Rob Thomas from Matchbox 20 spent 2 months in jail for stealing a car. Someone stole my aunt's car from a parkade and it was only a Buick.

You could always modify it.

I bet this car would never get stolen:

http://www.corvetteconti.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/ugly-corvette4.jpg

The only reason I wouldn't buy a car like that is because I would always be worried about it getting stolen. It happens a lot. The other day I found out that Rob Thomas from Matchbox 20 spent 2 months in jail for stealing a car. Someone stole my aunt's car from a parkade and it was only a Buick.

You could always modify it.

I bet this car would never get stolen:

http://www.corvetteconti.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/ugly-corvette4.jpg

Top 10 stolen vehicles:

http://www.bankrate.com/auto/check-out-the-10-cars-thieves-love-most/#slide=2

Install a fuel shut off valve. Theives won't get far. First time I ever rode in a Vette is when my Dad installed one on a 78 Vette.

I loved the C3 when I was a kid.

Keep in mind, that the later 70's and 80's sucked when it came to domestic sports cars so the Vette didn't have to have much under the hood back then to be considered a fast car. And I still think it's a cool looking car. But I would never bother swapping an engine in one when I could just get a used C6 that would perform much better in every metric of performance.

The '82 is much better looking ... These newer Vettes are a dime a dozen, and personally, I hate the interiors .. 75% of the cars I work on are pre-1980, so it is sort of in my blood - I am biased that way ..

If I am bored on a Sunday, I'll trying swapping a carb, just for the hell of it .. A lot of the fun for me is tinkering with them, and the newer ones definitely don't allow that

• Like 1

I think I posted one or both of these awhile back, but here is my sis with her '73 Vette .. She has since sold it, but it was a great, fun car .. It had just the base 350 and wasn't scary fast, but driving it was always fun

The 73s are still relatively inexpensive ... They were the first year without the chrome from bumper, so the value is less that its predecessors

Jackie_Corvette_01.jpg

Jackie_Corvette_02.jpg

• Like 4