The tour Rush sounded the least good live....

fraroc

S&A tour was epic. Best setlist. Only tour I witnessed. It can't get much better for me than Digital Man, Entre Nous, Mission, Circumstances, Bangkok, and so much of the Snakes album in all it's plodding glory.

Word up! I thought there was tons of energy when I saw them in Cincinnati. Agree about the set list. Epic.

• Like 1

I don't understand the strategy (from a sales and marketing standpoint) of releasing a live dvd that you know sounds bad (or horrible in some cases) in some way. Whether it's the mix, the vocals, or one of the guys was just off in some way that night. I know it's probably expensive to film a live concert to release to video...many factors involved so they have to choose a date. But why not choose to film a few throughout the tour (beginning, middle, end), or even individual songs here and there from different nights and release the one(s) that sounds best? Seems like it might be more lucrative in the long run. Why choose to go with a losing prospect just because it was billed as the 'We're filming this for the dvd'! and then end up with it being an off night? I don't get it. :eh:

That was easier to do back in the day with live albums, but since live DVDs are the rave now, bouncing from show to show, where their clothes are going to be different, would make it look odd and not really like a live concert (more like a snapshot of the tour with performances spread out).

Well, they could coordinate that if continuity was their goal...they often wear the same series of things (t-shirts n' such) throughout the tour. But you have a point. Still, it'd be another thing to factor in, that if they use different nights in the same dvd, they might draw more people into buying it since it's possible that 'their' night might be included in the collection of songs featured (particularly if they're labeled by location), instead of it all being from one venue. And with multiple nights to choose from they stand the chance of putting out a dvd with a higher level of sound (voice, mix production) quality. I mean, this is all water under the bridge now that they're retired. But you'd think, with so many live concert dvds released over the last 20 or so odd years, that different formats would've been considered. Just my opinion, of course. I am unlikely to get as excited over a concert filmed solely in Cleveland than, say, Seattle...not that that ever happened. Still, it would've been a nice option, if even just for one song.

I hear what you are saying, but that would get awfully expensive professionally recording that many shows on a tour. Doing it for just one is a lot more practical from the band's point of view.

• Like 1

In all honesty, I think they always sounded great live. The production and sound on a couple of the DVDs sucked, but I've never seen them live and came out thinking, "They sounded like crap tonight!"

In fact, after R40 in Atlanta, I commented to my buddy that they'd never sounded better.

I saw the R40 concert in St. Louis, so relatively early in that tour and they sounded awesome...including Geddy's voice. In fact, I hadn't heard them sound that good in decades...but yeah, I agree, I don't think I've ever seen them live and thought they sounded like crap. Too easy to get caught up in the moment, I guess. Unless the sound quality was so egregious as to be unforgivable. But I don't remember it ever being that bad. the only time I notice things like that really is when I watch a live dvd.

• Like 1

I don't understand the strategy (from a sales and marketing standpoint) of releasing a live dvd that you know sounds bad (or horrible in some cases) in some way. Whether it's the mix, the vocals, or one of the guys was just off in some way that night. I know it's probably expensive to film a live concert to release to video...many factors involved so they have to choose a date. But why not choose to film a few throughout the tour (beginning, middle, end), or even individual songs here and there from different nights and release the one(s) that sounds best? Seems like it might be more lucrative in the long run. Why choose to go with a losing prospect just because it was billed as the 'We're filming this for the dvd'! and then end up with it being an off night? I don't get it. :eh:

That was easier to do back in the day with live albums, but since live DVDs are the rave now, bouncing from show to show, where their clothes are going to be different, would make it look odd and not really like a live concert (more like a snapshot of the tour with performances spread out).

Well, they could coordinate that if continuity was their goal...they often wear the same series of things (t-shirts n' such) throughout the tour. But you have a point. Still, it'd be another thing to factor in, that if they use different nights in the same dvd, they might draw more people into buying it since it's possible that 'their' night might be included in the collection of songs featured (particularly if they're labeled by location), instead of it all being from one venue. And with multiple nights to choose from they stand the chance of putting out a dvd with a higher level of sound (voice, mix production) quality. I mean, this is all water under the bridge now that they're retired. But you'd think, with so many live concert dvds released over the last 20 or so odd years, that different formats would've been considered. Just my opinion, of course. I am unlikely to get as excited over a concert filmed solely in Cleveland than, say, Seattle...not that that ever happened. Still, it would've been a nice option, if even just for one song.

I hear what you are saying, but that would get awfully expensive professionally recording that many shows on a tour. Doing it for just one is a lot more practical from the band's point of view.

Yeah, I know.

Still, it's unfortunate when professional recording falls on an off night a la Time Machine (Ged's voice) or Rush in Rio (horrible mix). And to have to release that dvd knowing it was an off night. Still, I suppose regardless of the sound quality, we fans still keep buying them. So it's not like they lose money on it.

If you want to go back further, ASOH was filmed/recorded towards the end of a long tour with both Alex and Geddy tired and sick and disc 3 of DS was initially shelved because Lee had a cold and sounded off (personally I can't really hear much of a problem. His 70s voice was incredible)

Rush has never had a "bad" tour IMO but I feel their performances on the Presto Tour was uninspired. The only real surprises/deep cuts were the excerpt of "Xanadu", "Mission", and "Manhattan Project", and the band's performances seemed to lack inspiration and energy, it seemed like they were tired and going through the motions.

Vocally i'd say Geddy was at his worst on the Vapor Trails Tour, I really don't like the pinched, nasal tone he used during that tour, sounds like he was imitating his '70s voice but failed.

I actually didn't like the Presto or RTB tour

Counterparts tour and particularly the TFE tour were MUCH better

Mick

The Bones shows were much better than the Presto show I saw. Even despite the lame as hell Xanaconductor.

There was way more

Energy and the setlist was mostly much better. Bootlegs confirm this. The TMT boots I have are sooooo much better than the officially released cd (as does CA). Sadly Geds voice...man. :(

• Like 3

it's not that expensive to do a decent sound recording.

Alex lamented that the R30 concert DVD was filmed on an "off night". I don't notice anything wrong with it, they all seemed their normal selves on that one *shrugs*

The boys always had high standards for themselves and their performances. There probably weren't many shows per tour where all three came away that night thinking they had all nailed it.

TM Tour.

Much as I loved hearing the songs and the setlist, TM tour for me too. Maybe if they had used a different night for the live album/DVD I would feel differently, but man, that was rough. (that said, I don't remember the LA shows being rough).
  • Like 1

Rush has never had a "bad" tour IMO but I feel their performances on the Presto Tour was uninspired. The only real surprises/deep cuts were the excerpt of "Xanadu", "Mission", and "Manhattan Project", and the band's performances seemed to lack inspiration and energy, it seemed like they were tired and going through the motions.

Vocally i'd say Geddy was at his worst on the Vapor Trails Tour, I really don't like the pinched, nasal tone he used during that tour, sounds like he was imitating his '70s voice but failed.

Mick

The Bones shows were much better than the Presto show I saw. Even despite the lame as hell Xanaconductor.

There was way more

Energy and the setlist was mostly much better. Bootlegs confirm this. The TMT boots I have are sooooo much better than the officially released cd (as does CA). Sadly Geds voice...man. :(

Oddly enough, the first time I saw Rush (HYF tour) I thought they were too mechanical and "perfect", and much preferred the Presto/RTB shows especially for energy.

And yet, I listen to Show of Hands all the time, so what does that say?! LOL

I should pick up a couple of TMT and CA boots then... I can't listen to the live albums.

Much as I loved hearing the songs and the setlist, TM tour for me too. Maybe if they had used a different night for the live album/DVD I would feel differently, but man, that was rough. (that said, I don't remember the LA shows being rough).

i saw TM tour. it was fun to see MP in full but.........

Ged's voice was gone and there was a chunk in set 1 from Stick it Out to BU2B the crowd was dead. they couldn't care less about that chunk of songs.

most awful stretch of music they could have picked.

Mick

Other than Ged's voice being on the decline, I don't think there has ever been a "bad tour." Playing live is something the band excels at.
  • Like 3

Ged's voice was gone and there was a chunk in set 1 from Stick it Out to BU2B the crowd was dead. they couldn't care less about that chunk of songs.

Mick

I remember that being a lull as well, Even though I dig most of those songs. Maybe if they'd been arranged differently in the set...like this instead?

“Stick It Out”

"Leave That Thing Alone"

"Freewill"

“Workin’ Them Angels”

"Marathon"

"BU2B"

“Faithless"

“Subdivisions”

• Like 1

Mick

I remember that being a lull as well, Even though I dig most of those songs. Maybe if they'd been arranged differently in the set...like this instead?

“Stick It Out”

"Leave That Thing Alone"

"Freewill"

“Workin’ Them Angels”

"Marathon"

"BU2B"

“Faithless"

“Subdivisions”

i like that alot better. cause all the "new" songs in a row. Killed the high that the snags prior created. people were going to the merch stands, getting drinks. talking, lol. it was awful.

Mick

Mick

“Stick It Out”

"Leave That Thing Alone"

"Freewill"

“Workin’ Them Angels”

"Marathon"

"BU2B"

“Faithless"

“Subdivisions”

i like that alot better. cause all the "new" songs in a row. Killed the high that the snags prior created. people were going to the merch stands, getting drinks. talking, lol. it was awful.

Mick

Same thing happened on the Snakes & Arrows tour. Six or seven new songs in a row was excruciating.

ETA: I checked, and it was five songs in a row. Nine new tracks total (three instrumentals)

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

Mick

There was way more

Oddly enough, the first time I saw Rush (HYF tour) I thought they were too mechanical and "perfect", and much preferred the Presto/RTB shows especially for energy.

And yet, I listen to Show of Hands all the time, so what does that say?! LOL

I should pick up a couple of TMT and CA boots then... I can't listen to the live albums.

That says you are a Rush fan.

• Like 1

Mick

“Stick It Out”

"Leave That Thing Alone"

"Freewill"

“Workin’ Them Angels”

"Marathon"

"BU2B"

“Faithless"

“Subdivisions”

Mick

Same thing happened on the Snakes & Arrows tour. Six or seven new songs in a row was excruciating.

ETA: I checked, and it was five songs in a row. Nine new tracks total (three instrumentals)

Its only excrutiating if you dont like the album.

• Like 1

Mick

“Stick It Out”

"Leave That Thing Alone"

"Freewill"

“Workin’ Them Angels”

"Marathon"

"BU2B"

“Faithless"

“Subdivisions”

Mick

Not true. I like the album a lot. In fact, it's one that I listen to more often than most others. But at the two shows I attended, the life was sucked out of the arenas by the long string of SnA tracks.

Mick

“Stick It Out”

"Leave That Thing Alone"

"Freewill"

“Workin’ Them Angels”

"Marathon"

"BU2B"

“Faithless"

“Subdivisions”

Mick

Not true. I like the album a lot. In fact, it's one that I listen to more often than most others. But at the two shows I attended, the life was sucked out of the arenas by the long string of SnA tracks.

That didn't hold a candle to the CA tour where they played practically the whole album in a row...9 songs of a 12 song album. Talk about sucking the life out of the crowd. I realize part of that had to do with the string section being a large part of the performance. And once they were out there and set up it was easier to keep them out there. But it was too much. Too much new, not enough what people came to see (yeah, that's my opinion). I remember when they finally got to the end of the CA stretch and went in to TSOR, the crowd went insane. Rightfully so.

• Like 1