RHCP vs FNM album?

Texas King

RHCP vs FNM album?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. RHCP vs FNM album?

• Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
    • Faith No More - Angel Dust

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5e/RHCP-BSSM.jpghttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/24/Faith_no_more_angel_dust.jpg

Like both albums, but my pick here is Angel Dust without any doubt. One of the greatest 90's albums IMO.

Angel Dust.

No contest.

• Like 1

Haven't listened to faith no more, but BSSM is a bit untouchable. In a category of its own, that one.
  • Like 2

Haven't listened to faith no more, but BSSM is a bit untouchable. In a category of its own, that one.

So is Angel Dust.

For better or worse it's probably the most influential metal album from the 90s. Nothing like it at all. Whatever your opinion is on nu metal, it doesn't happen without that album.

So is Angel Dust.

For better or worse it's probably the most influential metal album from the 90s. Nothing like it at all. Whatever your opinion is on nu metal, it doesn't happen without that album.

More influential than The Black Album? Or Vulgar Display Of Power? Or Rust In Peace?

• Like 2

So is Angel Dust.

More influential than The Black Album? Or Vulgar Display Of Power? Or Rust In Peace?

Maybe not Vulgar. But as great as TBA and RIP are, they did not influence a whole new musical movement like Faith No More did. Not many bands actually copied Metallica or Megadeth's sound on those albums.

But a lot of metal bands that came out between 1995 and the early 2000s copied heavily from either FNM or Pantera.

So is Angel Dust.

Maybe not Vulgar. But as great as TBA and RIP are, they did not influence a whole new musical movement like Faith No More did. Not many bands actually copied Metallica or Megadeth's sound on those albums.

But a lot of metal bands that came out between 1995 and the early 2000s copied heavily from either FNM or Pantera.

Yeah. Many put Angel Dust in particular as a major step towards the style that became known as nu metal.

Say whatever you like about that, it cannot take away from the greatness of Angel Dust.

This is not my favorite RHCP album; that honor goes to Californication, which is flawless. But outside of Break Stuff, "nu metal," did absolutely nothing for me.

That's fine but this is an album poll, not a genre poll.

• Like 1

"After touring to support Angel Dust in the summer of 1993, long-time guitarist Jim Martin left the band due to internal conflicts. He was reportedly unhappy with the band's change in musical direction on Angel Dust, describing it as "gay disco"."

Never heard Angel Dust, but their own guitar player calls it gay disco, I'm not to inclined to support it.

• Like 1

"After touring to support Angel Dust in the summer of 1993, long-time guitarist Jim Martin left the band due to internal conflicts. He was reportedly unhappy with the band's change in musical direction on Angel Dust, describing it as "gay disco"."

Never heard Angel Dust, but their own guitar player calls it gay disco, I'm not to inclined to support it.

That's a wonderful way to judge an albums quality as opposed to listening to it and forming your own opinion of it.

• Like 1

This is not my favorite RHCP album; that honor goes to Californication, which is flawless. But outside of Break Stuff, "nu metal," did absolutely nothing for me.

I know. But if an entire genre does nothing for me, how likely is it that an album that falls within it does? Hence my vote for RHCP.

• Like 2

I know. But if an entire genre does nothing for me, how likely is it that an album that falls within it does? Hence my vote for RHCP.

Well, FNM are better than every nu metal band they influenced. Also, they were never actually called that during their original run. The genre had yet to be labeled. That didn't happen until the late 90s and FNM had broken up by then. They were a huge influence on the genre but they themselves were never actually nu metal if that makes any sense. They were always considered alternative/funk metal. Korn was probably the first band to be called nu metal.

Edited by J2112YYZ

Californication recently clicked with me fully (despite the super loud, compressed, and clipped production), so I might be with you on preferring it to BSSM...but there's definitely an argument for the other way around.

• Like 2

That's a wonderful way to judge an albums quality as opposed to listening to it and forming your own opinion of it.

I think the guitar player on the album can provide a pretty well informed opinion.
  • Like 1

I think the guitar player on the album can provide a pretty well informed opinion.

Sure.

But don't blindly take that at face value without hearing the album. A lot of artists don't always like what they record. Often times they are their own worst critic.

Angel Dust is one of the best albums of that era. I guess I can see how it would have influenced nu metal.. but it's a straight up wierd mix of metal, punk, funk and everything in between.

Is this nu metal?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9n3TrvhsrYs

No, nothing FNM did was nu metal. The label didn't exist at the time of Angel Dust's release. This song is more of a funk metal tune.

However there are a number of other songs on the album where you can hear the huge influence they had on nu metal. Obviously this was something not realized until a number of years later when the genre became popular.

I want to give thanks for this thread. You see, I hate the Red Hot Chile Peppers with all of my soul and so I could never vote for any piece of shit they ever created. But on the other hand, I had never listened to anything by Faith No More except for the one song that was popular on the radio many years ago. A song that i was not a fan of.

So I decided to give Angel Dust a listen last night because hey, it can't be as horrible as the Blood Sugar Sex Magik right? Right!! I just finished my 5th play through and I really like Angel Dust. I mean really, really like it and it is always exciting to find new music even when its old music.

Edited by thesweetscience
  • Like 3

I want to give thanks for this thread. You see, I hate the Red Hot Chile Peppers with all of my soul and so I could never vote for any piece of shit they ever created. But on the other hand, I had never listened to anything by Faith No More except for the one song that was popular on the radio many years ago. A song that i was not a fan of.

So I decided to give Angel Dust a listen last night because hey, it can't be as horrible as the Blood Sugar Sex Magik right? Right!! I just finished my 5th play through and I really like Angel Dust. I mean really, really like it and it is always exciting to find new music even when its old music.

Glad you gave it a shot and liked it. More importantly, you gave it a number of listens as well. It's certainly one of those albums that needs a handful of spins to really get a feel for it.

Especially back when it came out. It may not sound too groundbreaking by today's standards but back in 1992 there was nothing like it. I took a little bit to warm up to it. The album was too much for my 14 year old brain to comprehend at first.

FNM is like that with all their stuff. Epic is a good song but it's too bad that's all most music fans know from them. They did have some other hits back then. Falling To Pieces, Midlife Crisis and A Small Victory got some solid play on radio and MTV. But those that decide what gets played on mainstream radio and what doesn't made the choice that Epic is all they'll be known for to non fans.

• Like 1

Glad you gave it a shot and liked it. More importantly, you gave it a number of listens as well. It's certainly one of those albums that needs a handful of spins to really get a feel for it.

Especially back when it came out. It may not sound too groundbreaking by today's standards but back in 1992 there was nothing like it. I took a little bit to warm up to it. The album was too much for my 14 year old brain to comprehend at first.

FNM is like that with all their stuff. Epic is a good song but it's too bad that's all most music fans know from them. They did have some other hits back then. Falling To Pieces, Midlife Crisis and A Small Victory got some solid play on radio and MTV. But those that decide what gets played on mainstream radio and what doesn't made the choice that Epic is all they'll be known for to non fans.

I will have to give their other records a spin.

I don't remember hating Epic initially as much as it got really old, really quick due to overplay.