RHCP vs FNM album?

Texas King

RHCP vs FNM album?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. RHCP vs FNM album?

• Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
    • Faith No More - Angel Dust

Disappointed to see BSSM ahead of Angel Dust on a Rush site.

It's really not much dispute. BSSM is funky and mainstream, but Angel Dust was groundbreaking. Nothing the Peppers did can touch stuff like Caffeine, Midlife Crisis or Everything's Ruined.

You'd think "groundbreaking" would be given a bit more love on a Rush site.

• Like 2

It's really not much dispute. BSSM is funky and mainstream, but Angel Dust was groundbreaking. Nothing the Peppers did can touch stuff like Caffeine, Midlife Crisis or Everything's Ruined.

Rush were never groundbreaking though...

Angel Dust

Faith No More are one of the greatest bands of the 80's/90's, and were a big influence on pretty much everything good and bad that came out subsequently.

Red Hot Chilli Peppers released a lot of great music, but I tend to value the singles over the actual albums.

"After touring to support Angel Dust in the summer of 1993, long-time guitarist Jim Martin left the band due to internal conflicts. He was reportedly unhappy with the band's change in musical direction on Angel Dust, describing it as "gay disco"."

Never heard Angel Dust, but their own guitar player calls it gay disco, I'm not to inclined to support it.

That's a wonderful way to judge an albums quality as opposed to listening to it and forming your own opinion of it.

I think the guitar player on the album can provide a pretty well informed opinion.

Sure.

But don't blindly take that at face value without hearing the album. A lot of artists don't always like what they record. Often times they are their own worst critic.

Yep and then they followed it up with their rawest heaviest, and best I may add album.

This is not my favorite RHCP album; that honor goes to Californication, which is flawless. But outside of Break Stuff, "nu metal," did absolutely nothing for me.

Agree about Californication.

Album of the Year is my preferred FNM album.

RHCP's gets my vote.

I'm not sure it's about not appreciating how groundbreaking Angel Dust was as much as it's about FNM never being that popular. Angel Dust went gold in the US but the Chili Peppers album had a number of huge singles and sold millions of copies. They're ahead in the poll because more people are familiar with them than they are FNM.

I'm not sure it's about not appreciating how groundbreaking Angel Dust was as much as it's about FNM never being that popular. Angel Dust went gold in the US but the Chili Peppers album had a number of huge singles and sold millions of copies. They're ahead in the poll because more people are familiar with them than they are FNM.

And again...does music have to be ground-breaking to be great? Shall I prefer innovation ober entertainment every damn time?

Rush have never been artistically ground-breaking. Sometimes a little heavier than their counterparts, but what did they ever do that was brand spanking new?

That's a different argument to "who did it best", because quite often it was Rush. But I can't think of anything Rush did that wasn't somewhat similar to something that came before. And we are talking here about the sixties, seventies, when original music and new and fresh sounds were happening all the time.

BSSM is an incredible album. A band playing at the absolute peak of their interconnected powers. Flea, Smith, and Frusciante create a sound that basically puts my mind on vacation. What a sense of music.

I still haven't listened to the other band, but BSSM is a pretty high water mark.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo

And again...does music have to be ground-breaking to be great? Shall I prefer innovation ober entertainment every damn time?

I couldn’t agree more. I’ll go further. If you want a challenge in your life, punch a cop and try to outrun him. I don’t need music to challenge me. I need to enjoy it.

• Like 1

Red Hot Chilli Peppers released a lot of great music, but I tend to value the singles over the actual albums.

I agree with this. I really enjoy the Red Hot Chili Peppers song by song. The albums can be a bit redundant, but I do love By the Way and Californication.

• Like 1

I don't give a shit about FNM but they're about as "nu-metal" as the beatles. speaking of which, no beatles = no sabbath, therefore the beatles are metal

No one should say they are nu-metal. But they did inspire a lot of bands who became labelled as such.