Synth song knockout: Kid Gloves or Manhattan Project?

Texas King

Synth song knockout: Kid Gloves or Manhattan Project?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Kid Gloves or Manhattan Project?

Kid Gloves hands down.

I personally was never a fan of GuP but Kid Gloves was my favorite song on the album. It also struck me at the time as being the least synthy and most guitar oriented song on a very synthy album (which is not to say it isn't a synth driven song but at least Alex's guitar makes itself known here).

It's an interesting song for me in terms of the new direction Rush took in the 80s and how the way my evaluation of what constituted a 'good' Rush song changed in the wake of that change.

Before GuP came out, when their last studio album was Signals (which I perceived as a profoundly disappointing follow up to Moving Pictures), I regarded the song Vital Signs as the weakest track on Moving Pictures because it sounded like a Signals song.

By 1984 when GuP finally came out (and I was very disappointed with it), I regarded Kid Gloves as the strongest track on the album - because it sounded like a Signals song.

Given the unbroken stream of near perfect albums that had preceded Signals, I was confident that Signals was an outlier and was very much looking forward to the next album being a return to form.

But I was even more disappointed with GuP than I was with Signals.

So yeah; not a fan of the synth period.

Edited by rftag
  • Like 2

Kid Gloves hands down.

I personally was never a fan of GuP but Kid Gloves was my favorite song on the album. It also struck me at the time as being the least synthy and most guitar oriented song on a very synthy album (which is not to say it isn't a synth driven song but at least Alex's guitar makes itself known here).

It's an interesting song for me in terms of the new direction Rush took in the 80s and how the way my evaluation of what constituted a 'good' Rush song changed in the wake of that change.

Before GuP came out, when their last studio album was Signals (which I perceived as a profoundly disappointing follow up to Moving Pictures), I regarded the song Vital Signs as the weakest track on Moving Pictures because it sounded like a Signals song.

By 1984 when GuP finally came out (and I was very disappointed with it), I regarded Kid Gloves as the strongest track on the album - because it sounded like a Signals song.

Given the unbroken stream of near perfect albums that had preceded Signals, I was confident that Signals was an outlier and was very much looking forward to the next album being a return to form.

i am a big synth era guy. but.......Grace is indeed the weakest album from that period for me.

just never clicked. it's very popular here though.

baffling to me but ah well, lol

Mick

• Like 3

Kid Gloves hands down.

i am a big synth era guy. but.......Grace is indeed the weakest album from that period for me.

Mick

Grace really had to grow on me. The production is just way too dry and simplistic for one, and Kid Gloves and Red Lenses came off as serious filler the first time I heard them.

As soon as I put on PoW I was in love though. Every track there is incredible.

I will say though I do not share your love of HYF, to me it's weaker than GuP. Presto beats it easily.

• Like 2

Kid Gloves hands down.

Mick

Grace really had to grow on me. The production is just way too dry and simplistic for one, and Kid Gloves and Red Lenses came off as serious filler the first time I heard them.

As soon as I put on PoW I was in love though. Every track there is incredible.

I will say though I do not share your love of HYF, to me it's weaker than GuP. Presto beats it easily.

Lol that's ok....different tastes.

Yea everyone always cites signals as having the bad production. to me Grace was a bout 10 steps way down production wise.

I can't explain my love of Power Windows. it's production is awash in synths. but sue me i adore it, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

Kid Gloves hands down.

:boo hiss: :boo hiss: :boo hiss: :boo hiss: :boo hiss: :boo hiss: :boo hiss:

On a scale of 1 - 5 stars, with 1 being a very bad son (the sort I just don't listen to or might once a year) and 5 being a great Rush song, I give Kid Gloves 2 stars. Perhaps 3 if I am feeling very kind.

Manhattan Project is a 5 star gem (IMO). Love the lyrics - Power Windows & HYF are 2 of Neil's best albums.

Obviously I voted for Manhattan Project.