Pinocchio

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 4

Heavy Metal

Waking Life

The Hobbit (1977 Rankin Bass)

Lion King

Aristocats

Hmm, my 8 year old son and I just finished a read aloud of The Hobbit....I saw the first of the 3 new movies (thought it kinda sucked, especially compared to LOTR) Rutlefan also listed in his top 5!

I assume you are going to tell me its a must watch?

• Like 1

@ tx_rush, while crude and simple, the Rankin Bass Hobbit faithfully captures the whimsical spirit of the book; something Jackson's completely fails to do.
  • Like 2

@ tx_rush, while crude and simple, the Rankin Bass Hobbit faithfully captures the whimsical spirit of the book; something Jackson's completely fails to do.

:goodone:

My Neighbor Totoro

Spirited Away

Nausicca of the Valley of the Wind

Castle in the Sky

Howl's Moving Castle

• Like 4

My Neighbor Totoro

Spirited Away

Castle in the Sky

Howl's Moving Castle

This may seem a little out of the blue but do you like Miyazaki flicks? :P

I will be honest and say I think she does.

And my top five seems wrong without two more of his films.

• Like 2

My Neighbor Totoro

Spirited Away

Castle in the Sky

Howl's Moving Castle

I prefer Mononoke to Totoro but otherwise same top five (maybe six lol).

• Like 1

My Neighbor Totoro

Spirited Away

Castle in the Sky

Howl's Moving Castle

I love all of them but Totoro is just so sweet I had to put it in.

• Like 1

My Neighbor Totoro

Spirited Away

Castle in the Sky

Howl's Moving Castle

A top five is impossible for me as well as I love them all too.

I'm in the minority it seems but I could envision a list where Spirited Away isn't top five but Ponyo is.

My least favourite of Miyazaki's movies is Porco Rosso. And that is a real beauty!

• Like 1

My Neighbor Totoro

Spirited Away

Castle in the Sky

Howl's Moving Castle

I'm in the minority it seems but I could envision a list where Spirited Away isn't top five but Ponyo is.

My least favourite of Miyazaki's movies is Porco Rosso. And that is a real beauty!

That's my least favorite too. How could I forget about Ponyo? I actually just went out and bought that and Kiki's Delivery Service on blu-ray a couple of weeks ago.

• Like 1

My Neighbor Totoro

Spirited Away

Castle in the Sky

Howl's Moving Castle

That's my least favorite too. How could I forget about Ponyo? I actually just went out and bought that and Kiki's Delivery Service on blu-ray a couple of weeks ago.

:ranton:

I like Kiki's Delivery Service. But to me it's interesting because it mimics what happens to teens here in the last 2 months of high school. They go from having their lunch boxes made by their mums every day all the way up to the end of January of their senior year [they graduate the first week of March] to living alone in a flat in a different city and going to uni by the end of March. In those two months they take their college boards, possibly fail them and retake them, graduate high school, go apartment hunting with their mums in their college town, then move all their stuff in. On the surface it's similar to what high school seniors in the west go through. But it really isn't. Teens here are more dependent on their parents than western kids. So, the change is much more drastic and a lot quicker.

Kiki's abrupt life change really mirrors this real world situation and I'm not sure that gets across to western audiences.

(Not that you'd have to realize that to enjoy the movie, but it does put it in perspective. Or, at least, a different perspective.)

:rantoff:

:)

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

My Neighbor Totoro

Spirited Away

Castle in the Sky

Howl's Moving Castle

:ranton:

I like Kiki's Delivery Service. But to me it's interesting because it mimics what happens to teens here in the last 2 months of high school. They go from having their lunch boxes made by their mums every day all the way up to the end of January of their senior year [they graduate the first week of March] to living alone in a flat in a different city and going to uni by the end of March. In those two months they take their college boards, possibly fail them and retake them, graduate high school, go apartment hunting with their mums in their college town, then move all their stuff in. On the surface it's similar to what high school seniors in the west go through. But it really isn't. Teens here are more dependent on their parents than western kids. So, the change is much more drastic and a lot quicker.

Kiki's abrupt life change really mirrors this real world situation and I'm not sure that gets across to western audiences.

(Not that you'd have to realize that to enjoy the movie, but it does put it in perspective. Or, at least, a different perspective.)

:rantoff:

:)

I don't consider that a rant, but an interesting insight to a different culture.

• Like 1