QUICK!: Your top five chick flix!

goose

What specifically defines a chick flick?

A viewing of the list at this link will make you say "What?!! That's not a chick flick! And why is THAT movie on there too?!!"

http://m.ranker.com/...in-my-opinion-_

Breakfast at Tiffany's? :yes:

Princess Bride? :no:

But most of those on the list are chick flix.

Princess Bride is what was on my mind when I posted.

Thelma & Louise is on there too but I'm not sure I'd call it a chick flick. It just happens to have chicks in it.

I think Sixteen Candles is on there too. "Comedy" is what I think of first with that, not "chick flick".

But yeah overall there are good examples of what most would say are chick flicks on that list.

Sounds to me like if love is at all a focus in a movie it's considered a chick flick.

What's love got to do got to do with it?

Just wanted to get that impression in there. Read it again and it'll sound like a better impression. ;)

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

A viewing of the list at this link will make you say "What?!! That's not a chick flick! And why is THAT movie on there too?!!"

Thelma & Louise is on there too but I'm not sure I'd call it a chick flick. It just happens to have chicks in it.

I think Sixteen Candles is on there too. "Comedy" is what I think of first with that, not "chick flick".

But yeah overall there are good examples of what most would say are chick flicks on that list.

Sounds to me like if love is at all a focus in a movie it's considered a chick flick.

Just wanted to get that impression in there. Read it again and it'll sound like a better impression. ;)

I'm not talking about what you said but what the article showed.

• Like 1

I'm not talking about what you said but what the article showed.

Yeah, I know. I was imitating Tina Turner badly.

http://images.rapgenius.com/c1ccdc20765dea8f89b5eaa7f729877a.500x498x1.jpg

:P

Maybe that is it. I was thinking of this trying to make my list. I ended up putting movies that my daughters and I enjoy and my husband and son not so much, but I don't know if "Grease" really qualified as a chick flick because a lot of guys do like it. I had "Hairspray" on my list because we all watched that as a girl thing so much, but it's really not a classic chick flick ! :P I forgot to put "Brooklyn" on my list, but I guess that is more of a classic chick flick because it is about romance and a girl growing up; I don't know too many guys that would be all that interested in it.

• Like 1

Maybe that is it. I was thinking of this trying to make my list. I ended up putting movies that my daughters and I enjoy and my husband and son not so much, but I don't know if "Grease" really qualified as a chick flick because a lot of guys do like it. I had "Hairspray" on my list because we all watched that as a girl thing so much, but it's really not a classic chick flick ! :P I forgot to put "Brooklyn" on my list, but I guess that is more of a classic chick flick because it is about romance and a girl growing up; I don't know too many guys that would be all that interested in it.

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/3591656/images/o-BROOKLYN-facebook.jpg

Checked this out for Mrs. B's sake. She thought it was great. RottenTomatoes shows 97% approval off 222 reviews. I thought it was a little slow, a little predictable but not too much of either. Believable actors and story.

It's better than most chick flicks that I can think of.

I'll take Brooklyn over You've Got Mail without hesitation.

• Like 1

I think of a Chick Flick as a variation on either Jerry Maguire (which I've never seen but I think I know what it's like) and Pretty Woman (which I've seen once, unfortunately). With that in mind, here's my list:

Titanic (man child Cameron's)... but only on a really big movie screen (I saw it in DC at the Loews Uptown monster screen) because the Titanic itself is so amazing to watch. There's also this side story about an incrediby charismatic and worldy-wise (yet penniless) wandering farm boy from Wisconsin and an unhappy rich girl trapped in a world of stupid and self-centered rich people (did I mention Cameron is a man-child?), but you can ignore all that and just admire the ship.

Sweet Home Alabama... Because there's a cool deHavilland Beaver in the movie, and when it came out I had it bad for a gal from Mississippi, which seemed like basically the same thing as Alabama to my northern self.

That's all I can think of as I don't think of Princess Bride or Sixteen Candles as "chick flicks" but rather really great, funny movies.

Edited by Rutlefan

16 has quite a bit of sophmoric frat humor in that movie so it's not a typical one. Pretty In Pink is more of a chick flick albeit a good one because John Hughes (RiP) wrote a good mature script and Duckie rules. Plus, Stanton is great no matter what he's in. Some Kind of Wonderful is just PIP with genders reversed.

Speaking of Hughes, I just saw Only The Lonely on Starz this week and that was a good one. Still miss John Candy to this day.

• Like 1

Checked this out for Mrs. B's sake. She thought it was great. RottenTomatoes shows 97% approval off 222 reviews. I thought it was a little slow, a little predictable but not too much of either. Believable actors and story.

Glad to hear you and Mrs. B liked Brooklyn! My sister and I saw it this spring together (me for the second time) and just loved it. I think if someone appreciates a good nuanced acting performance, they would enjoy it. My sister and I thought both Saoirse Ronan and her boyfriend (isn't that awful, OK I looked him up, Emory Cohen) were really good in their parts. I think she was nominated for Best Actress that year.

Edited by blueschica

Glad to hear you and Mrs. B liked Brooklyn! My sister and I saw it this spring together (me for the second time) and just loved it. I think if someone appreciates a good nuanced acting performance, they would enjoy it. My sister and I thought both Saoirse Ronan and her boyfriend (isn't that awful, OK I looked him up, Emory Cohen) were really good in their parts. I think she was nominated for Best Actress that year.

Currently, there aren't too many good young actors and actresses that I can think of besides her.

Her dude in Brooklyn was believable too.

She was only 14 or 15 at the time of The Lovely Bones but she was also good in that (though that movie had flaws).

Someone around the same age like Jennifer Lawrence gets a lot of high profile roles and more praise but I waaaay prefer Ronan.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

Defending Your Life

To me that's more along the lines of a Woody Allen comedy. Good movie, by the way.

Yeah, Brooks is sort of a west coast equivalent. Modern Romance is another good one. Just saw that in Netflix a year ago. High Fidelity is Allen esque especially with the 4th wall breaking monologues not too different from Annie Hall.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 1

I just saw Fences with Denzel and Viola Davis. Denzel is great as usual but holy cow I didn't realize Viola Davis was that good. There's this one scene where she's bawling her eyes out in sadness, frustration, and anger and it seems so real. Something or someone in this movie should've won some kind of Academy Award.

I'd like to see this on the stage.

I can't say this is a chick flick but it doesn't really matter. I think you'd like it which is why I'm mentioning it here. :)

• Like 1

I just saw Fences with Denzel and Viola Davis. Denzel is great as usual but holy cow I didn't realize Viola Davis was that good. There's this one scene where she's bawling her eyes out in sadness, frustration, and anger and it seems so real. Something or someone in this movie should've won some kind of Academy Award.

I can't say this is a chick flick but it doesn't really matter. I think you'd like it which is why I'm mentioning it here. :)

Thanks for the recommendation! We kept meaning to see it this spring in the theater but missed it. You probably know, the original playwright, August Wilson, was from Pittsburgh. I'll definitely have to look it up soon. We had planned to have a more active 4th of July long weekend with one daughter and her roommate and going tubing, but roommate has shingles! :(

Thanks for the recommendation! We kept meaning to see it this spring in the theater but missed it. You probably know, the original playwright, August Wilson, was from Pittsburgh. I'll definitely have to look it up soon. We had planned to have a more active 4th of July long weekend with one daughter and her roommate and going tubing, but roommate has shingles! :(

My wife kept falling asleep but I think it's more because of the lengthy wordage (we watch in English but use Japanese subtitles for her) than the movie being boring/slow. My wife's English isn't perfect and the amount of dialogue is lengthier than the usual flick...due to it apparently being an excellent representation of the stage play.

Mrs. B perked up towards the end and was almost totally lost of course :LOL:

She said, "I can tell it was a good movie." :LOL: I teased, "That's pretty good for sleeping through 80% of it." :LOL:

We watched the Behind the Scenes stuff afterwards and she was totally into it. It talked about the move from stage to screen, August Wilson of course, and Pittsburgh.

This isn't a movie for someone who can't sit still. But Denzel is larger than life in this. He'd totally be able to maneuver a one-man show if he wanted.

• Like 1

My wife kept falling asleep but I think it's more because of the lengthy wordage (we watch in English but use Japanese subtitles for her) than the movie being boring/slow. My wife's English isn't perfect and the amount of dialogue is lengthier than the usual flick...due to it apparently being an excellent representation of the stage play.

Mrs. B perked up towards the end and was almost totally lost of course :LOL:

She said, "I can tell it was a good movie." :LOL: I teased, "That's pretty good for sleeping through 80% of it." :LOL:

We watched the Behind the Scenes stuff afterwards and she was totally into it. It talked about the move from stage to screen, August Wilson of course, and Pittsburgh.

This isn't a movie for someone who can't sit still. But Denzel is larger than life in this. He'd totally be able to maneuver a one-man show if he wanted.

Yes, totally! :) He's beyond awesome! :LOL:

• Like 1

I can't think of a chick flick I have ever seen but I was just flipping around and there wasn't much on and I found As Good as it Gets which is a movie I really liked.

Does that count?

It could. I don't know what the limits of a chick flick are though.

Do chick flicks have to star a chick? Because that movie is more Jack than Helen.

I can't think of a chick flick I have ever seen but I was just flipping around and there wasn't much on and I found As Good as it Gets which is a movie I really liked.

Does that count?

Do chick flicks have to star a chick? Because that movie is more Jack than Helen.

I find Helen adorable though and I really think the whole ensemble made the movie great.
  • Like 1

Does that count?

I find Helen adorable though and I really think the whole ensemble made the movie great.

It did.

I need a Dummies Guide to Chick Flicks because there's a lot of grey area and overlap with these kinds of films especially.