"HEAVY METAL" Is The Greatest Animated Film Ever Made! Sorry "AKIRA!"

RUSHHEAD666

Thanks to seeing Don Felder over the weekend I had to watch "Heavy Metal" on Bluray tonight.

This movie blew my mind when I was a kid.

This movie still blows my mind as a kid.

The animation, the plot and the soundtrack are 10 STARS!

I never in a million years thought I would see Don Felder play "Heavy Metal" live in my life.

"Heavy Metal" by Sammy Hagar is also EPIC.

You know know me know how much I HATE VAN HAGAR.

But man, I do love Sammy's solo stuff!

Sammy's Capital Records and early Geffen stuff are excellent!

"THE MOB RULES!"

• Like 1

Hey Earl, I used part of that B-17 segment as a listening practice & storytelling exercise for a small group of adult English learners out here. In a nutshell, they were to listen to the audio (the screen was covered) then retell the story based on what they heard. After everyone told their stories, I showed them the uncovered segment. They loved it! Some of the stories told varied greatly from what actually went down in that B-17 segment. Cool!

Also, I always thought The Fifth Element (a movie I never liked) resembled the Harry Canyon story (which I liked) too much.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

Thanks to seeing Don Felder over the weekend I had to watch "Heavy Metal" on Bluray tonight.

I never in a million years thought I would see Don Felder play "Heavy Metal" live in my life.

"THE MOB RULES!"

• Like 1

Hey Earl, I used part of that B-17 segment as a listening practice & storytelling exercise for a small group of adult English learners out here. In a nutshell, they were to listen to the audio (the screen was covered) then retell the story based on what they heard. After everyone told their stories, I showed them the uncovered segment. They loved it! Some of the stories told varied greatly from what actually went down in that B-17 segment. Cool!

Also, I always thought The Fifth Element (a movie I never liked) resembled the Harry Canyon story (which I liked) too much.

Wow Johnny! That is incredible!! That is a great idea for a listening and learning exercise! Thanks for sharing!! I think you are right! I never thought about that! The Fifth Element is loosely based on the Harry Canyon story. The animated women in "Heavy Metal" are BEAUTIFUL! I mean I was a teen-ager when I saw this flick. It blew my mind. It still does!!!

• Like 1

"THE MOB RULES!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXEYSL40MHs

That's funny Pat! This album gets the Rock Candy treatment too! When I saw GAMMA with Davy Pattison a month ago a band called "The Butlers" opened. Great hard rock cover band. The ex lead guitar player from Jetboy is in this band. He put my buddy and I on the list. Nice guy! Also the ex drummer of DEATH ANGEL is in the band! I was shocked that he remembered me from the 90's!! We talked for about 10 min before the show. I used to hang out with a bunch of the DEATH METAL dudes in Concord Tower Records back in the day! DEATH ANGEL RULES!!!!! THE MOB RULES!!! LOL!!

Edited by RUSHHEAD666
  • Like 1

"THE MOB RULES!"

That's funny Pat! This album gets the Rock Candy treatment too! When I saw GAMMA with Davy Pattison a month ago a band called "The Butlers" opened. Great hard rock cover band. The ex lead guitar player from Jetboy is in this band. He put my buddy and I on the list. Nice guy! Also the ex drummer of DEATH ANGEL is in the band! I was shocked that he remembered me from the 90's!! We talked for about 10 min before the show. I used to hang out with a bunch of the DEATH METAL dudes in Concord Tower Records back in the day! DEATH ANGEL RULES!!!!! THE MOB RULES!!! LOL!!

I might grab that one and Stone Fury Burns Like a Star!

That video is f***ing good too!

• Like 1

"THE MOB RULES!"

AMAZING VIDEO! Dude!!I grabbed the Stone Fury too even though I have a Japanese pressing. One is an original pressing with obi in a jewel case. I also have one in a mini lp cardbard sleeve with obi! Endless!!

• Like 1

This thread is about an incredible animated masterpiece called "HEAVY METAL!" This means Pat that we can talk about HEAVY METAL music in here as well!! I think Blue Oyster Cult's "Veteran Of The Psychic Wars" is a perfect song for that scene in the film.

"THE MOB RULES!"

AMAZING VIDEO! Dude!!I grabbed the Stone Fury too even though I have a Japanese pressing. One is an original pressing with obi in a jewel case. I also have one in a mini lp cardbard sleeve with obi! Endless!!

Nice!

• Like 1

"THE MOB RULES!"

Nice!

Thanks! I was thinking of other metal songs that could have been in this movie! "Swords And Tequila" by RIOT popped into my head! Would be rad! Did you ever see Heavy Metal 2000? PURE SHITE!

Not a big fan of this movie, but the B-17 segment that JB mentioned is very cool.

Akira though! One of the best sci-fi movies ever made. My favorite animated film of all time though is Princess Mononoke.

I like Mononoke more than Akira too. I think Akira is good but not great.

And I like Spirited Away more than Mononoke.

I like Heavy Metal more than all 3 of those.

However, my favorite animated film (if we're not including Pixar type animation) of all time is Grave of the Fireflies.

• Like 2

I've got both Heavy Metal and Akira on DVD.

I love Akira and Spirited Away too! Holy Cow!

However, I am watching "Heavy Metal" again tonight because I was on here too much the last time I was watching it.

Just need to make a quick comment.

The Harry Canyon short reminds me of "The Fifth Element" and "Escape From New York."

This movie is bloody brilliant.

Pun intended.

Meow

I remember when you couldn't even find Heavy Metal to buy and had to get it on Bootleg VHS.

I know!

"Heavy Metal" blew my mind on HBO back then! Cinemax? The black box!

Anyway I actually recorded "Heavy Metal" off of the black box onto VHS! I even did the artwork on the spine and cover of the tape! Yep! I was that guy!

I remember seeing "Heavy Metal" finally put out on DVD! I rejoiced!

So here is a quick useless blu-ray addict story.

I went into Best Buy a few years ago and I saw "Heavy Metal" on blu-ray for the first time! There was actually a sticker on the blu-ray. BEST BUY ONLY! So of course me being that dork I had to buy two copies. One is still sealed with the sticker on it. One is open to play.

Well now I have seen "Heavy Metal" for sale on blu everywhere. I guess Best Biuy had the rights to sell it for a year.

All I know is that I am still waiting for Japan to press the cd into a cardboard mini sleeve like they just did with the Peppers Bee Gees soundtrack.

I should move to Tokyo and work for TOWER. Johnny B and I can start a business together.

Anyway, I wish they would reissue "Heavy Metal" in a steelbook version with a bonus disc of behind the scenes stuff!

I'm in the wrong business, yet everything feels so right.........

"Feels So Good"

Signed,

Chuck Mangione

• Like 1

I remember when you couldn't even find Heavy Metal to buy and had to get it on Bootleg VHS.

I know!

"Heavy Metal" blew my mind on HBO back then! Cinemax? The black box!

Anyway I actually recorded "Heavy Metal" off of the black box onto VHS! I even did the artwork on the spine and cover of the tape! Yep! I was that guy!

I remember seeing "Heavy Metal" finally put out on DVD! I rejoiced!

So here is a quick useless blu-ray addict story.

I went into Best Buy a few years ago and I saw "Heavy Metal" on blu-ray for the first time! There was actually a sticker on the blu-ray. BEST BUY ONLY! So of course me being that dork I had to buy two copies. One is still sealed with the sticker on it. One is open to play.

Well now I have seen "Heavy Metal" for sale on blu everywhere. I guess Best Biuy had the rights to sell it for a year.

All I know is that I am still waiting for Japan to press the cd into a cardboard mini sleeve like they just did with the Peppers Bee Gees soundtrack.

I should move to Tokyo and work for TOWER. Johnny B and I can start a business together.

Anyway, I wish they would reissue "Heavy Metal" in a steelbook version with a bonus disc of behind the scenes stuff!

I'm in the wrong business, yet everything feels so right.........

"Feels So Good"

Signed,

Chuck Mangione

Tower Records in Japan has been independently owned for many years. Its U.S. death a few years ago had absolutely no impact here.

Unfortunately, my favorite T-Records shop in Osaka closed half a decade or so ago. Not sure why as it always seemed busy. It also used to have random bands play in a small staging area in the shop. I didn't know most of those bands (homegrown and a few international acts) and half of them were shit but hey, I never complain about free performances. Oh well, it's gone now anyway.

There are still probably a half dozen or so locations in Osaka (and dozens nationwide). The big one here has 2 or 3 floors but the massive one in Shibuya Tokyo is 9. It's got to be one of biggest music shops on the planet.

I grew up with Jean Girard's (aka Mœbius) art. A family friend from France would give me and my brother "Metal Hurlant" magazines when we were young. Not being able to read French we'd stare at the art, thinking it was so amazing. His style is not only seen in Heavy Metal (of course) and the 5th Element, but he also heavily influenced Scott's vision of Alien (so Scott says, but it is really obvious in the clothes, spacesuits, and the Nostromo's living quarters).

Anyway, have always loved the movie's visuals. Favorite part is this, because of the Cheap Trick track (though they didn't write it). Love this tune:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa9zJBOqNhs

Edited by Rutlefan