Rolling Stone ranked our dear Lifeson incredibly low?

Texas King

I think this list of 100 greatest guitarists is one of the most ridiculous lists I ever saw. It's a way worse than their current list of greatest metal albums.

Lifeson is placed on the 98th position. Guys who can't hold a candle to him as The Edge, Kurt Cobain, James Hetfield, Joe Perry, Jonny Greenwood(from Radiohead) and Johnny Ramone are all ranked above him. Keith Richards being on the 4th position, while Blackmore on 50th is unbelievable. List totally sucks ass.

http://www.rollingst...rists-20111123

Edited by Texas King
  • Like 1

Rolling Stone Magazine isn't a credible source for music industry information to me

I'll seek credible data (and even opinions) elsewhere

• Like 5

Playing devil's advocate, the list is greatest, not best. Part of greatness implies influence on other musicians and the genre in general, and I think it's pretty well agreed that Alex, while extremely talented, didn't have as much influence on other pro musicians compared to many of the others listed. Tex mentions the Edge, but it's pretty clear that Alex borrowed stylistically from the Edge, not vice versa.
  • Like 4

All of those guitarists are more popular than Alex Lifeson, hence "greatest"

You think "greatest" means "most skilled" but this is only one part of the metric

• Like 7

You think "greatest" means "most skilled" but this is only one part of the metric

Yep.

Metric!

http://themetricmaven.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Sellers-Small-300x231.jpg

• Like 2

This may be the stupidest list of Guitarists I have ever seen. How do you list 100 Guitarist and not have Nuno Bettencourt anywhere on the list?!?!? I think it is a list for old people. Maybe they should call it the top 100 guitarists that people over 50 know of. I mean really, this stupidity has no credibility whatsoever.

Rolling Stone Magazine isn't a credible source for music industry information to me

Rolling Stone started so many journalism trends that are still influential today... and yet I can't even remember the last time I read one of their articles.

Edited by Day of Light

I think this list of 100 greatest guitarists is one of the most ridiculous lists I ever saw. It's a way worse than their current list of greatest metal albums.

Lifeson is placed on the 98th position. Guys who can't hold a candle to him as The Edge, Kurt Cobain, James Hetfield, Joe Perry, Jonny Greenwood(from Radiohead) and Johnny Ramone are all ranked above him. Keith Richards being on the 4th position, while Blackmore on 50th is unbelievable. List totally sucks ass.

http://www.rollingst...rists-20111123

The Edge, without question or needing a second's more thought, is the most overrated popular guitarist of all time. These lists are designed to madden. It got us talking about that worthless rag :)

• Like 2

Rolling Stone started so many journalism trends that are still influential today.

lamont.gif

such as ??

Rolling Stone started so many journalism trends that are still influential today.

lamont.gif

such as ??

Gonzo journalism!

Lists!

Depending on who you ask, being a tabloid magazine that covers serious stories, or being a serious magazine that covers tabloid stories

Having a strong social media presence.

But Gonzo journalism is really the main one.

lamont.gif

such as ??

Gonzo journalism!

Lists!

Depending on who you ask, being a tabloid magazine that covers serious stories, or being a serious magazine that covers tabloid stories

Having a strong social media presence.

But Gonzo journalism is really the main one.

Hmmmm

http://www.adweek.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/9/2016/01/Screen-Shot-2016-01-12-at-1.12.01-PM.png

Didn't even bother looking at the list.

Ask 100 TRFers to make a Top 100 list and no two lists would be the same. Also, I'm sure I'd feel that some of the lists were jokes even if they were made sincerely.

Movie and actor critiques are the same.

• Like 2

I know what I like...

...and I know how to get it.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_8nIQOVfvkGI/SvXsePYWswI/AAAAAAAACO8/y-zMwcg8zMs/s400/cheap+trick+dpinsert.jpg

I can spend the rest of my life don not caring for what RS :tongue: says about anything.......I cannot without listening to :rush: .....i can pass U2 too with absolutely NO hesitation at all...indeed I do not have a single album from them.... :unsure:
  • Like 1