Rolling Stone magazine DARES to publish a Top 100 METAL albums list...

treeduck

One of the greatest metal bands ever

http://i.imgur.com/xaDWiSB.jpg

Rush isn't metal.

Not completely. But listen to their 70s stuff. Plenty of metal style riffs and moments. VT, S&A and CA have a lot of metal going on as well.

Headlong Flight is metal up your ass with Canadian bacon on the side
  • Like 3

Operation Mindcrime...I don't know how to rank it against all these great albums, but it's certainly perfection and it's certainly metal. Master of Puppets is given too much elevation here as well. Rust in Peace is coming in soft IMO
  • Like 1

Did I see Priest on there more than once and no Sad Wings Of Destiny? Lmao...
  • Like 1

Did I see Priest on there more than once and no Sad Wings Of Destiny? Lmao...

If Paranoid can top the list, surely Sad Wings can make the list, right? But what more can you expect from Rolling Stone?

Rush isn't metal.

Not completely. But listen to their 70s stuff. Plenty of metal style riffs and moments. VT, S&A and CA have a lot of metal going on as well.

2000s Rush does come the closest they have since AFTK. That said, I don't think they've ever crossed the line into metal since 2112 and Cygnus.

Rush isn't metal.

With that line of thinking, then no metal existed pre-1980s ...

Rush is not only metal, but they helped created the genre, the attitude and the belief ..

They are the priests

Without Rush, there is no Celtic Frost and no Voivod

Dio once said the real difference between a metal band and any old rock band is the attitude. Sabbath had the metal attitude, Priest had it. Rush had a different attitude, one which was definitely not metal, it was just Rush. Totally unique.

And with this completely I disagree ..

Marketing some cornball pseudo Satanic imagery is not metal to me, or coming across like Spinal Tap ....

It was a sense of rebellion and freedom, loud fast music that had an appeal to blue collar, suburban outcast kids who didn't know where to vent their energy, ideas and creative force ..

I was 13 when I first saw them on the Permanent Waves tour, and the crowd was a sea of older kids like in that pic .. When Rush came out with the in fog to the opening chords of 2112, it was some of the loudest, most powerful shit I have ever experienced ...

And with all due respect to Maiden, who I saw two years later, what I had seen from Rush was heavier and more powerful

METAL

• Like 1

Rush isn't metal.

Rush is not only metal, but they helped created the genre, the attitude and the belief ..

They are the priests

Dio once said the real difference between a metal band and any old rock band is the attitude. Sabbath had the metal attitude, Priest had it. Rush had a different attitude, one which was definitely not metal, it was just Rush. Totally unique.

Marketing some cornball pseudo Satanic imagery is not metal to me, or coming across like Spinal Tap ....

It was a sense of rebellion and freedom, loud fast music that had an appeal to blue collar, suburban outcast kids who didn't know where to vent their energy, ideas and creative force ..

I was 13 when I first saw them on the Permanent Waves tour, and the crowd was a sea of older kids like in that pic .. When Rush came out with the in fog to the opening chords of 2112, it was some of the loudest, most powerful shit I have ever experienced ...

And with all due respect to Maiden, who I saw two years later, what I had seen from Rush was heavier and more powerful

METAL

The metal attitude I'm talking about isn't dumb satanic imagery and effects, it's the mindset conveyed by the music, the author's tone if you will. Rush's tone will always be something other than metal to me.

• Like 1

Rush isn't metal.

They are the priests

METAL

The metal attitude I'm talking about isn't dumb satanic imagery and effects, it's the mindset conveyed by the music, the author's tone if you will. Rush's tone will always be something other than metal to me.

I feel that early on, the importance of the individual, and not simply stepping in line with the norm for conformity's sake, was very metal - esp when backed by the heaviness of the music and Geddy's otherworldly voice ..

Rush isn't metal.

2000s Rush does come the closest they have since AFTK. That said, I don't think they've ever crossed the line into metal since 2112 and Cygnus.

Any album with Madrigal does not belong in that list.

Rush isn't metal.

This is why Rush isn't metal, lol.

Rush isn't metal.

Madrigal is so metal it's molten! :haz:

• Like 1

Rush isn't metal.

heaving muddle

It has Nightwish and tonnes of great albums I am surprised they listed.

A really great list and not a dull read either.

Rush isn't metal.

Madrigal is a short, sweet little set up to the greatest metal song ever

• Like 1

JUDAS PRIEST's ROB HALFORD: My Favorite 10 Heavy Metal Albums

Because of JUDAS PRIEST singer Rob Halford's importance to the heavy metal genre, Rolling Stone magazine reached out to him while putting together a list of the "100 Greatest Metal Albums" and asked him to name his personal top 10. He kindly e-mailed a list with a few words about each one and why it's important to him and to metal. Check out his comments at RollingStone.com.

Rob Halford's favorite heavy metal albums:

01. BLACK SABBATH - "Black Sabbath" (1970)

02. METALLICA - "Kill 'Em All" (1983)

03. KORN - "Korn" (1994)

04. IRON MAIDEN - "Iron Maiden" (1980)

05. SLAYER - "Reign In Blood" (1986)

06. PANTERA - "Cowboys From Hell" (1990)

07. DIO - "Holy Diver" (1983)

08. EMPEROR - "Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk" (1997)

09. SLIPKNOT - "Slipknot" (1999)

10. MOTÖRHEAD - "Ace Of Spades" (1980)

Because of JUDAS PRIEST singer Rob Halford's importance to the heavy metal genre, Rolling Stone magazine reached out to him while putting together a list of the "100 Greatest Metal Albums" and asked him to name his personal top 10. He kindly e-mailed a list with a few words about each one and why it's important to him and to metal. Check out his comments at RollingStone.com.

03. KORN - "Korn" (1994)

At least rob knows the difference between metal and not metal.

• Like 1

03. KORN - "Korn" (1994)

At least rob knows the difference between metal and not metal.

Well apart from Korn and Slipnot... :d13:

• Like 1

Aerosmith's Rocks is considered metal, correct? With some of the albums included on this list how could it not be?

No, Aerosmith has never been metal.

Nobody's Fault and Back in the Saddle are much heavier than a lot of the material included on the list.

Edited by Cyclonus X-1

For Rolling Stone, this isn't a bad Top 100, particularly the top 50. I agree with their omission of protometal acts or just plain hard rock bands like Zeppelin, Deep Purple, early Rush, UFO, 70's KISS, etc., although these are many of my favorite bands (and no, they shouldn't have included the stellar VH's Fair Warning either). Edited by GeddyLeeRoth

Aerosmith's Rocks is considered metal, correct? With some of the albums included on this list how could it not be?

Nobody's Fault and Back in the Saddle are much heavier than a lot of the material included on the list.

True.

But those songs aren't played in a metal style/tone. They're played with a rock tone.

• Like 1

True.

But those songs aren't played in a metal style/tone. They're played with a rock tone.

If that's the case, to my ears the Ozzy solo albums sound more rock than metal. A lot of albums on this list are not played in a so-called metal style or tone.