Comics!!

RushFan#2112

So, here I am, trying to make a comic of Hemispheres. I drew the earth awfuly, I'm very good at people, but not planets. But, I got the idea to ask any of you if your interested in making a comic with me. I could draw, and you girls could write a story together. Or, if there's any other artists, we could take turns drawing scenes. And i'm not talking about songs, I mean little short stories about Rush. Does this sound like a good idea?

Planets are easy. Put down a bowl and trace round it :P

I have always thought that Hemispheres would've made a very interesting novel or series of short stories.

• Like 1

Comics are great, I love them. don't collect any more, can't wait to see Starlin's Thanos coming to a theater near you...

Keep drawing. The secret is to keep drawing. Carry a sketchbook. Whatever one thinks of R Crumb, what seperated him from his peers was he drew better because he drew all the time.

btw, people who can draw faces have artistic talent. Drawing planets, or trees, is much much easier.

I don't want to live in a world without COMICS

I'm considering a Rush-inspired comic as well. Have to finish what I'm working on first, but I'm gathering material and taking notes.
  • Like 1

I'm considering a Rush-inspired comic as well. Have to finish what I'm working on first, but I'm gathering material and taking notes.

Hi. Did you get anywhere with this? I have tonnes of art stuff (paper, supplies etc.) and a load of comic books that I draw from. Always light on the original inspiration side though. I had all my art on my facebook page but I left FB a couple of years ago so now it`s just all bundled together invisibly in a folder, which is pretty sad when I think how much time I took to create it all! Happy to exchange ideas!

Hi. Did you get anywhere with this? I have tonnes of art stuff (paper, supplies etc.) and a load of comic books that I draw from. Always light on the original inspiration side though. I had all my art on my facebook page but I left FB a couple of years ago so now it`s just all bundled together invisibly in a folder, which is pretty sad when I think how much time I took to create it all! Happy to exchange ideas!

Awesome. I'm still in the process of gathering images, I don't want to start drawing until I've finished my current comic (link in my profile, if you're interested) which should happen in August or September.

If you have a Pinterest account, I can share my private board where I keep stuff.

• Like 1

Awesome. I'm still in the process of gathering images, I don't want to start drawing until I've finished my current comic (link in my profile, if you're interested) which should happen in August or September.

If you have a Pinterest account, I can share my private board where I keep stuff.

I don`t have a Pinterest account, but I looked at your current stuff - great, great work! I`d love to see what you do with Rush, and I love how you`ve structured your stories and the character`s speech, to move things on etc., I`m not really good at that. Some chapter titles look Rush-inspired too :notworthy:

I can see that I massively overcomplicate the entire concept of comics as I try and make every frame look like a Lee Bermejo or Alex Ross cover so it`s not surprising I lose heart. I should stick to Herge principles. I would love to make a large graphic novel that was just one masterpiece after another and it`s totally ridiculous, especially when I don`t have a story!!

• Like 1

I don`t have a Pinterest account, but I looked at your current stuff - great, great work! I`d love to see what you do with Rush, and I love how you`ve structured your stories and the character`s speech, to move things on etc., I`m not really good at that. Some chapter titles look Rush-inspired too :notworthy:

I can see that I massively overcomplicate the entire concept of comics as I try and make every frame look like a Lee Bermejo or Alex Ross cover so it`s not surprising I lose heart. I should stick to Herge principles. I would love to make a large graphic novel that was just one masterpiece after another and it`s totally ridiculous, especially when I don`t have a story!!

Thanks! I know what you mean about making things too complicated, one of the reasons this project took me so long was because I chose such an elaborate, almost cinematic style for it. The Rush project is going to have a simpler, graphic look, kind of like what Matt Smith did with Folklords. I may also do it in black and white with just a color plate at the beginning of each chapter. Do you have an online portfolio?

• Like 1

Thanks! I know what you mean about making things too complicated, one of the reasons this project took me so long was because I chose such an elaborate, almost cinematic style for it. The Rush project is going to have a simpler, graphic look, kind of like what Matt Smith did with Folklords. I may also do it in black and white with just a color plate at the beginning of each chapter. Do you have an online portfolio?

I nearly did, a few years ago, when a local gallery owner tried to convince me I should try and pursue art as more than a hobby. But I retreated. I`ve never even created any digital art, but I do think about it and get very near to investing in a graphics tablet. Not sure that I wouldn`t still go "old school" and use paper and so on though; but I can see the massive advantages. I really do like Gods of the Game, it`s very impressive. I nearly bought you a ko-fi :coffee: I have found a few pictures from many that I thew into a folder when I moved house a couple of years ago - not exactly comic style but hardly photographic! I have no idea if these links work properly, and now I`ve posted them here, I hate them :facepalm: The bravest thing is putting it out there, and that`s another reason you should be pleased with yourself! https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

Edited by IbanezJem

I am a big fan of unique T-Shirts. Those above, and probably lots more you have would look awesome on fabric?

Those are very good. I can see how that technique would work better for cover art than interior, though. I haven't yet decided whether do the Rush project digital or traditional, or some kind of hybrid. Digital is way faster, but trad is a lot more enjoyable. Feels less like work.

Those are very good. I can see how that technique would work better for cover art than interior, though. I haven't yet decided whether do the Rush project digital or traditional, or some kind of hybrid. Digital is way faster, but trad is a lot more enjoyable. Feels less like work.

I`ve bought a Wacom Cintiq 16 (to be delivered tomorrow)... hope I can get on with it! I`ve joined Pinterest too. Wow, some serious inspiration there!!!

I`ve bought a Wacom Cintiq 16 (to be delivered tomorrow)... hope I can get on with it! I`ve joined Pinterest too. Wow, some serious inspiration there!!!

Cintiqs are a real game changer. I use a Surface Studio, and while I miss the tactile aspect of traditional drawing, you can't beat digital for making adjustments and fixing mistakes. In the future I may do all my sketches on paper, then scan and refine them digitally. I use Clip Stdio Paint for drawing, what do you plan to use?

I'm Luckypockets on Pinterest, if you shoot me a PM and I'll invite you to the private board for the Rush project.

• Like 1

Cintiqs are a real game changer. I use a Surface Studio, and while I miss the tactile aspect of traditional drawing, you can't beat digital for making adjustments and fixing mistakes. In the future I may do all my sketches on paper, then scan and refine them digitally. I use Clip Stdio Paint for drawing, what do you plan to use?

I'm Luckypockets on Pinterest, if you shoot me a PM and I'll invite you to the private board for the Rush project.

I`m very reassured to hear that, as Clip Studio Paint Pro is exactly what I`ve bought! It seemed the best option. Obviously this is like starting again, learning how to draw so differently, but already seems like fun and I like the Pro Pen 2. I researched a bit between Surface Pro, iPad, other graphics tablets too, and decided that I just wanted the best "one job" thing that I could justify buying when it`s a bit of a leap in the dark. Oh yeah, I`m simonmacklin1975 on pinterest.