Overused phrases of the moment...

treeduck

If it seems genuine, it probably is.

If it seems like something rote that people are trained to say, it's probably that, too. I think some of us are probably thinking of the clearly bored, disinterested gum-snapping "have a nice day" sort of thing.

Interesting turn with this thread

Today I went to the bank to make a routine deposit .. I usually go twice a week, depending on how many customers pay by check ..

The tellers are personable, as I am sure that is part of their job requirement .. Most know my Mom, who is 86 and still coming to the shop every day ..

Maria is a teller who has been there since Wells Fargo took over Wachovia .. She asked "How's everything", and could probably see that I hadn't shaved in days and had dark circles under my eyes ( I always go inside, preferring to see the people face to face ) .. I mentioned that Mom was in the hospital, but we had hopes that she would be home this weekend ..

Maria told me to hang on while she helped someone at the drive thru ... When she came back, she started writing something - I thought perhaps she was making a correction on my deposit slip, as I wasn't thinking clearly all day ..

She looks up and hands me a piece of paper ( which I have right here with me )

Faith is looking beyond what is and trusting what will be

I looked at her and she started to cry ... so did I

You get what you give in life

• Like 5

If it seems genuine, it probably is.

If it seems like something rote that people are trained to say, it's probably that, too. I think some of us are probably thinking of the clearly bored, disinterested gum-snapping "have a nice day" sort of thing.

I agree with your first two sentences.

As for your last sentence, there's no info or wordage in the original posts for me to imply that it was meant the way you're stating it here. I hope that's what was meant but TRF surprises me sometimes.

• Like 1

Today I went to the bank to make a routine deposit .. I usually go twice a week, depending on how many customers pay by check ..

The tellers are personable, as I am sure that is part of their job requirement .. Most know my Mom, who is 86 and still coming to the shop every day ..

Maria is a teller who has been there since Wells Fargo took over Wachovia .. She asked "How's everything", and could probably see that I hadn't shaved in days and had dark circles under my eyes ( I always go inside, preferring to see the people face to face ) .. I mentioned that Mom was in the hospital, but we had hopes that she would be home this weekend ..

Maria told me to hang on while she helped someone at the drive thru ... When she came back, she started writing something - I thought perhaps she was making a correction on my deposit slip, as I wasn't thinking clearly all day ..

I bet Maria didn't receive any of that in her bank training. If she did then great!

As I said in my first post on this topic, a kind or polite word/comment/gesture/etc. can go a long way in someone's day.

I hope something good comes Maria's way in the near future. And I'm not just saying that to increase my sales either. ;)

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

I bet Maria didn't receive any of that in her bank training. If she did then great!

As I said in my first post on this topic, a kind or polite word/comment/gesture/etc. can go a long way in someone's day.

I hope something good comes Maria's way in the near future. And I'm not just saying that to increase my sales either. ;)

Maria.jpg

• Like 1

Not a phrase, but people beginning their reply to a question with "So..."

Drives me batshit as it's becoming commonplace.

This is SO funny! I entered this thread for the sole purpose of stating the above. i wasn't sure if anyone else noticed. It drives me crazy - everyone is starting sentences with "so" now it seems. You watch commentators debating on TV and it is very common.

So what's your point?

Reminded me when I had to write freestyle essays on summer camps when I was a young kid. Nearly every sentence started with 'so'.

So luckily I improved. :P

We do funny stuff while developing our writing. :P.

"How's your morning/day going so far?"

I don't know where or how stores got the idea that meaningless small talk at the check-out was good for business.

I used to work in retail and all that friendly how's your day going, how are you doing stuff is fake BS. Employees are trained to ask things like that in order to leave a good impression on the customer and give them a good experience so they'll come back again.

I never knew many employees who actually cared how customers who were complete strangers really were doing. Believe it or not, that friendly chat does work on a lot of people.

Whenever I work in a retail-type setting I engage the customers. I enjoy it, and they seem to as well. I figure, if you don't want that kind of interaction, you'll shop at Amazon or cook at home.

"Overused Phrases"

When cashiers are friendly

:facepalm:

Sad that it's even in question.

If anything pisses me off it's when retail staff are friendly. That really gets my blood boiling!! And the managers training them to do so in the hopes to increase business?!! Villainous!!!

I've known retail workers who actually like people and are naturally polite. Impossible!! They've got to be insincere, a-hole muppets!!!

Brought to you by the letter "Sarcasm".

Seriously though, cordiality and friendliness are never overused. A kind or polite word, comment, smile, or gesture can go a long way in someone's day. You've got to be blind not to realize that. And I'm not talking about increasing a shop's sales either.

I have to agree. Is unnecessary to pretend caring about one in order to improve business.

I like when people love their work and shows it to the customers. Naturally, these workers say a nice " Good Morning! :)"

Kindness is recognized, at any moment.

:yes:

• Like 3

Wow, that's a great positive statement from an attendant to someone who needs.

Beautiful gesture. :)

And thanks for sharing the statement with usus, Lucas. :)

• Like 2

I don't know where or how stores got the idea that meaningless small talk at the check-out was good for business.

I hate it when it's fake. Like every time I walk into a 7-11 and an employee yells out "hi!" Because they're obviously told to, but you look up and they aren't even looking at you. They hear the door and say 'hi' in autopilot.

I hate it when it's fake. Like every time I walk into a 7-11 and an employee yells out "hi!" Because they're obviously told to, but you look up and they aren't even looking at you. They hear the door and say 'hi' in autopilot.

Artificiality reigns today.

More and more I'm noticing people always seem to be "on."

I wonder if you experience the same on Facebook where people in their comments try to use irony, and then go and write "irony can occur". Kind of defeats the irony I think.

Irony is overused on Facebook.

"When/where the rubber hits the road."

Always makes me think of a condom lying there on the pavement.

I'm old enough to remember this meant rubber VEHICLE TIRES hit the pavement. :codger: LOL

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/banana%20Bungie.gif

Edited by OldRUSHfan
  • Like 3

Artificiality reigns today.

More and more I'm noticing people always seem to be "on."

"Hiyeeeeeee!"
  • Like 1

I hate the chronic overuse of "f*cking" as an adverb.

You can just say "I love this sunny weather"... You don't have to "I f*cking love this sunny weather."

Overusing the F bomb in general doesn't make you edgy, it makes you banal. And don't get me wrong, in fits of anger or frustration, I've been known to let it rip; but I don't need to start throwing it around when I'm enjoying my French Toast.

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 4

I used to work in retail and all that friendly how's your day going, how are you doing stuff is fake BS. Employees are trained to ask things like that in order to leave a good impression on the customer and give them a good experience so they'll come back again.

I never knew many employees who actually cared how customers who were complete strangers really were doing. Believe it or not, that friendly chat does work on a lot of people.

Whenever I work in a retail-type setting I engage the customers. I enjoy it, and they seem to as well. I figure, if you don't want that kind of interaction, you'll shop at Amazon or cook at home.

I like going to stores where the cashiers are friendly and chatty. There's nothing worse than dealing with a cashier who doesn't say a word and looks like they really hate their job. I always try to smile and engage them in conversation and try to at least get a smile out of them. Who knows, maybe that will be the only smile they got all day.

• Like 2

You can just say "I love this sunny weather"... You don't have to "I f*cking love this sunny weather."

Overusing the F bomb in general doesn't make you edgy, it makes you banal. And don't get me wrong, in fits of anger or frustration, I've been known to let it rip; but I don't need to start throwing it around when I'm enjoying my French Toast.

Overuse of that word today is getting to be a bit much.

And it matters not how educated (or not) the person is.

Does sounding crude make someone cool? What am I missing? Have we no dignity anymore?

• Like 1

Especially funny when one of these rednecks is searching for a word mid-sentence and all you hear is,"fukkin uuh.. fukkin uhh... "

Does sounding crude make someone cool? What am I missing? Have we no dignity anymore?

Well, this Trailer Park Boys character swears a ton. And he uses the F bomb almost as often as you and I use verbs. And he uses it in every which form you can imagine.

http://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/69/91/1e/69911e68527ab988446464ecda1d0d23.jpg

Interestingly, he was once portrayed by this guy:

Hey everyone, your vote wouldbe appreciated! Help me be Ricky!

http://bit.ly/1u2uPFX

http://s3.amazonaws.com/media.wishpond.com/media/002/992/167/xlarge.jpg?1414493260

• Like 1

:goodone:
  • Like 1

Well, this Trailer Park Boys character swears a ton. And he uses the F bomb almost as often as you and I use verbs. And he uses it in every which form you can imagine.

http://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/69/91/1e/69911e68527ab988446464ecda1d0d23.jpg

Interestingly, he was once portrayed by this guy:

Hey everyone, your vote wouldbe appreciated! Help me be Ricky!

http://bit.ly/1u2uPFX

http://s3.amazonaws.com/media.wishpond.com/media/002/992/167/xlarge.jpg?1414493260

http://brunoharm.webcomic.ws/files/columbo2.gif

• Like 1

You're thinking about this the wrong way. Nobody intentionally swears to be cool unless it's some kid discovering the words for the first time. When I say the f word it's never a conscious decision, it's just what comes out when I'm talking. Most people are the same way. They say it without even thinking about it or noticing that they're doing it.

People who drop the f word all the time just got into the bad habit of saying it constantly and don't even realize how often they're saying it.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

You're thinking about this the wrong way. Nobody intentionally swears to be cool unless it's some kid discovering the words for the first time. When I say the f word it's never a conscious decision, it's just what comes out when I'm talking. Most people are the same way. They say it without even thinking about it or noticing that they're doing it.

People who drop the f word all the time just got into the bad habit of saying it constantly and don't even realize how often they're saying it.

Then maybe it's time to start being conscious that you are using a word that does nothing to enhance either you or your conversation.

We ought to make a conscious effort to get back some dignity as human beings.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2