Overused phrases of the moment...

treeduck

What the blue balls does "clap back" and "throwing shade" mean? I only saw these phrases this year, didn't know they went back three years, judging by the first page or so of this thread.

I actually had to look up the meaning of “throwing shade” recently.

Interesting history I did not know...

History

The term can be found in Jane Austen's novel Mansfield Park (1814). Young Edmund Bertram is displeased with a dinner guest's disparagement of the uncle who took her in: "With such warm feelings and lively spirits it must be difficult to do justice to her affection for Mrs. Crawford, without throwing a shade on the Admiral."[3]

The slang version of "shade" originated from the black and Latino gay communities. According to gender studies scholar John C. Hawley, the expression "throwing shade" was used in the 1980s by New York City's ethnic working-class in the "ballroom and vogue culture", particularly by gender nonconformists. He writes that it refers to "the processes of a publicly performed dissimulation that aims either to protect oneself from ridicule or to verbally or psychologically attack others in a haughty or derogatory manner."[4]

Later use

The first major use of "shade" that introduced the slang to the greater public was in Jennie Livingston's documentary film, Paris Is Burning (1990), about the mid-1980s drag scene in Manhattan.[2][4] In the documentary, one of the drag queens, Dorian Corey, explains that shade derives from "reading", the "real art form of insults". Shade is a developed form of reading: "Shade is, I don't tell you you're ugly. But I don't have to tell you, because you know you're ugly. And that's shade."[5]

Willi Ninja, who also appeared in Paris Is Burning, described "shade" in 1994 as a "nonverbal response to verbal or nonverbal abuse. Shade is about using certain mannerisms in battle. If you said something nasty to me, I would just turn on you, and give you a look like: 'Bitch please, you're not even worth my time, go on.' ... It's like watching Joan Collins going against Linda Evans on Dynasty. ... Or when George Bush ran against Bill Clinton, they were throwing shade. Who got the bigger shade? Bush did because Clinton won."[6] A New York Times letter to the editor in 1993 criticized the newspaper for commenting on Bill Clinton's hair: "The Sunday Stylers are the last people I'd expect to throw shade on President Bill's hair pursuits."[7]

According to E. Patrick Johnson, to throw shade is to ignore someone: "If a shade thrower wishes to acknowledge the presence of the third party, he or she might roll his or her eyes and neck while poking out his or her lips. People throw shade if they do not like a particular person or if that person has dissed them in the past. ... In the playful mode, however, a person may throw shade at a person with whom he or she is a best friend."[8]

The expression was further popularized by the American reality television series RuPaul's Drag Race, which premiered in 2009.[2] In 2015, Anna Holmes of The New York Times Magazine wrote:

Shade can take many forms — a hard, deep look that could be either aggressive or searching, a compliment that could be interpreted as the opposite of one. E. Patrick Johnson, who teaches performance studies and African-American studies at Northwestern University, and who has written about the tradition of insults in the gay and black communities, explains: "If someone walks into a room with a hideous dress, but you don’t want to say it's hideous, you might say, 'Oooh … look at you!’'" At its most refined, shade should have an element of plausible deniability, so that the shade-thrower can pretend that he or she didn't actually mean to behave with incivility, making it all the more delicious.[1]

• Like 1

What the blue balls does "clap back" and "throwing shade" mean? I only saw these phrases this year, didn't know they went back three years, judging by the first page or so of this thread.

Next on your list of trendy phrases, look for "clap back".

I don’t know what that is but sounds stupid too. Gonnorhea returns or in the posterior it seems

• Like 1

I don’t know what that is but sounds stupid too. Gonnorhea returns or in the posterior it seems

Clap back means like when someone says something, a criticism or an insult or something negative, you respond. That's it.

Clap back means like when someone says something, a criticism or an insult or something negative, you respond. That's it.

I like the meaning of gonnorhea returns more

I've heard the phrase from various TV reporters talking about athletes trading insults on twitter, such and such claps back at such and such etc.

I've heard the phrase from various TV reporters talking about athletes trading insults on twitter, such and such claps back at such and such etc.

Tv reporters are just as bad as shitty sports announcers. Essentially the same dumbass but using a different umbrella

• Like 2

Tv reporters are just as bad as shitty sports announcers. Essentially the same dumbass but using a different umbrella

I always thought it sounded shit. I think they probably stole it from some street kids who used to use it about 10 years ago. Same with throwing shade.

Seriously?

It's not that new of a phrase actually. Probably at least five or six years since it became widely used. Maybe it's an American thing.

Seriously?

It's not that new of a phrase actually. Probably at least five or six years since it became widely used. Maybe it's an American thing.

I haven't lived in the states for nearly 2 decades.

Other: a lot of American pop culture of the last several years, I'm just unaware of. A couple of years ago I caught ESPN and CNN while on a visit stateside. Both were nearly unrecognizable as the tones of both had changed drastically. I commented on that to one of my bros and he goes, "Yeah, they've been like that for a while now."

Thanks, ducky!

Thanks, ducky!

:kisshug: :kisshug: :kisshug: :kisshug: :kisshug: :kisshug: :kisshug: :kisshug: :kisshug: :kisshug:

:kisshug: :kisshug: :kisshug: :kisshug: :kisshug: :kisshug: :kisshug: :kisshug: :kisshug: :kisshug:

• Like 1