Orphans! Won't someone please...

The Notorious B.S.G.

Now, first off, we want EVERYONE to contribute to the voting here, and we want to hear everyone's thoughts on the best songs on each record. This, by no means, is meant to imply that the polls are closed.

But, just for fun, I compiled some statistics about our "best song" polls here, as of today.

Now, one indicator of the overall quality or consistency of an album is how evenly distributed are the votes for "best song" and the fact that every song is someone's favorite. These are the albums for which every song received at least one vote as "best song":

Rush

Caress of Steel

Hemispheres

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

Signals

As far as evenly spread-out voting, the closest voting was for "Vapor Trails", as there was a tie for first between two songs (One Little Victory and Secret Touch, which each have only 18.52% percent of the total vote.)

By far the song which received the highest percentage of votes within it's album is the title song of 2112, which has garnered 54.05% of the vote. Xanadu was the favorite of 48.39% percent of voters for A Farewell to Kings. Hemispheres got 44.12%, and Dreamline got 42.31%.

Now the sad news. As of right now, we have a few "orphans". Yes, there a number of songs which are "Nobody's Hero", they are orphans. Won't someone please throw these poor beggars a few, measly coins? biggrin.gif

Our "homeless hoboes" are:

Making Memories (Fly by Night) Not a bad song, but nothing really special, apparently.

Madrigal (A Farewell to Kings)

The Body Electric (Grace Under Pressure) - C'mon 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 SOS! laugh.gif

Red Lenses (Grace Under Pressure) - I see RED! Not a BAD song, per se.....

The Big Money (Power Windows) - Silly lyrics, but rocks well.

Turn the Page (Hold Your Fire) - Now this one surprises me just a little.

Anagram (Presto) - No respect for silly word play.

Face Up, Heresy, You Bet Your Life, Neurotica (Roll the Bones) - Good, not great also-rans from Roll the Bones

The Speed of Love (Counterparts)

Dog Years (Test For Echo) - No comment.

Virtuality (Test For Echo) - No comment.

Limbo (Test For Echo)

Carve Away The Stone (Test For Echo)

Stars Look Down, Out of the Cradle (Vapor Trails) - Surprising these got no votes.

Summertime Blues, Seven and Seven Is (Feedback) - REALLY surprised neither of these got a vote.

I've seen Red Lenses getting a lot of respect elsewhere on the board these days. Makes you wonder why it got so pummeled here in the early-going. I have always loved this song. One of my faves from g/p. I guess it just goes to show that even though we're all Rush fans, we can all still be fickle.

QUOTE (war2112 @ Jan 29 2005, 09:17 PM)
I've seen Red Lenses getting a lot of respect elsewhere on the board these days. Makes you wonder why it got so pummeled here in the early-going. I have always loved this song. One of my faves from g/p. I guess it just goes to show that even though we're all Rush fans, we can all still be fickle.

I would NEVER listen to Red Lenses, until this summer. I still don't like the beginning of the song, but I now appreciate the rest of the song, and listen to it easily - without hitting fast-forward!

Hey - guess I gotta like it, since that's where TNMS comes from, and I was a BIG lurker (and occasional poster) on the original TNMS, years ago!

biggrin.gif

I can't believe some of my favourites are orphans,

The Body Electric: good melody and good drumming.

The Big Money: good keyboard and drum parts.

Virtuality: great guitar solo.

Carve Away The Stone: good bass line in solo part.

Limbo: not one of their greatest instrumentals, but good bass playing by Geddy.

Archived