LEARN HOW TO SPEAK!

Tick

And Ebonics? That's a pretty fancy word for illiteracy.

100% true!

Because it's perfectly OK for light-skinned people to spew bad grammar, bad pronunciation and classless obscenities, but dark-skinned people are expected to speak perfect and polite English.

• Like 3

If you've read through all of this thread's posts, you can read this article below.

If you haven't read through all of this thread's posts, you can read this article.

Don't dismiss it until you've read it all.

(I didn't bother with the videos though)

http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2013/12/03/248515217/why-chaucer-said-ax-instead-of-ask-and-why-some-still-do

• Like 2

100% true!

Because it's perfectly OK for light-skinned people to spew bad grammar, bad pronunciation and classless obscenities, but dark-skinned people are expected to speak perfect and polite English.

Never said that did I?

Ebonics came to be because poorly educated and barely literate African Americans sadly just don't have the acquired skills to speak proper English. You can say that's racist, but I say it's the truth. Dispute it, call me a racist, I don't care because I know I'm not, but that's just reality whether you like hearing that or not.

• Like 3

If you've read through all of this thread's posts, you can read this article below.

If you haven't read through all of this thread's posts, you can read this article.

http://www.npr.org/s...y-some-still-do

I read it all. Complete BS.

Show me a dictionary definition of the word "ax" that one of the definitions is "to ask a question"?

When someone can do that I'll lay off the bullshit justification of using poor English and accept it.

Good luck with that.

• Like 2

I'm just going out to chop some wood with my ask

http://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/59/43/b2/5943b2605d98f5bb9f1361e59638a2fe.jpg

http://media.tmz.com/2016/04/12/0412-axl-rose-genes-primary-1200x630.jpg

I never did like Askl

That's almost as frightening as pictures of Robert Plant.

Kids, don't do drugs and drink. This can happen to you too.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

I'm just going out to chop some wood with my ask

http://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/59/43/b2/5943b2605d98f5bb9f1361e59638a2fe.jpg

http://media.tmz.com/2016/04/12/0412-axl-rose-genes-primary-1200x630.jpg

I never did like Askl

That's almost as frightening as pictures of Robert Plant.

Kids, don't do drugs and drink. This too can happen to you.

And that's one of his better recent pics!!!!

• Like 1

Show me a dictionary definition of the word "ax" that one of the definitions is "to ask a question"?

When someone can do that I'll lay off the bullshit justification of using poor English and accept it.

Good luck with that.

That's fine. I just put it out there to be read. I also knew this reply would happen quickly.

Mainly though I think you're letting this bother you too much.

I guess there's this argument though...

You're half a dozen or so years older than me Tick so you'll remember "ain't" NOT being in the dictionary. I even remember in elementary school some teachers telling us that "ain't" wasn't in the dictionary (so we shouldn't use it). And it wasn't in there. But then some time in the late 80s or maybe early 90s, it was! So the dictionary defense AIN'T actually sufficient. Words are here before they're entered into a dictionary. Of course they would be.

• Like 2

I still won't use the word "ain't" because I was taught that it wasn't right to do so.

How about the use of the word "like" all the time?

"I feel like, you know, like it just has to be like this. Like, don't you feel the same way?"

• Like 2

Good luck with that.

That's fine. I just put it out there to be read. I also knew this reply would happen quickly.

You're half a dozen or so years older than me Tick so you'll remember "ain't" NOT being in the dictionary. I even remember in elementary school some teachers telling us that "ain't" wasn't in the dictionary (so we shouldn't use it). And it wasn't in there. But then some time in the late 80s or maybe early 90s, it was! So the dictionary defense AIN'T actually sufficient. Words are here before they're entered into a dictionary. Of course they would be.

So in other words, the moral of the story is when you can't speak proper English eventually poorly educated slang becomes part of the dictionary. That makes it right?

Until the definition changes "ax" is not ask, so posting an article from 2 liberal half Black actors doesn't sell anything to me. They can justify it but really who are they? They are comedians not English majors so what credibility do they carry?

• Like 1

Good luck with that.

So in other words, the moral of the story is when you can't speak proper English eventually poorly educated slang becomes part of the dictionary. That makes it right?

Until the definition changes "ax" is not ask, so posting an article from 2 liberal half Black actors doesn't sell anything to me. They can justify it but really who are they? They are comedians not English majors so what credibility do they carry?

No. The moral of the story is...

Just because something is in the dictionary doesn't make it respectable. And just because something isn't in the dictionary doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

• Like 1

Good luck with that.

Just because something is in the dictionary doesn't make it respectable. And just because something isn't in the dictionary doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

and just because it exists doesn't justify it as being proper English.

• Like 2

I don't know if this one has spread across the pond, or if it's just a British thing, but the one I CAN'T STAND (and hear all the time) is "innit"... and to make it worse, it's generally not even used as a contraction of "isn't it" ...it's just it's own thing.

If you don't have this one over there, consider yourselves fortunate.

Here's an explanation I found:

For some people, 'innit' is just another tag question, a contraction of 'isn't it'. But kids in urban Britain are using 'innit' to cover a wider and wider range of situations. Here are some examples of non-standard use, gleaned from recent messageboard postings:

"We need to decide what to do about that now innit." (don't we?)

"Now I can start calling you that, INNIT!" (can't I?)

"I can see where my REAL friends are, elsewhere innit!!" (aren't they?)

"I'll show young Miss Hanna round to all the shops, innit." (won't I?)

"I heard he was good in TNA when he was there so he can still wrestle good innit?" (can't he?)

It drives me up the wall, innit. (doesn't it?)

• Like 3

Good luck with that.

Yup, I agree.

I'm not legitimizing the use of "ax" as "ask". I'm just saying it's here and here to stay. But I'm also saying that the reason "Show me a dictionary definition" isn't sufficient.

• Like 1

I don't know if this one has spread across the pond, or if it's just a British thing, but the one I CAN'T STAND (and hear all the time) is "innit"... and to make it worse, it's generally not even used as a contraction of "isn't it" ...it's just it's own thing.

If you don't have this one over there, consider yourselves fortunate.

Here's an explanation I found:

For some people, 'innit' is just another tag question, a contraction of 'isn't it'. But kids in urban Britain are using 'innit' to cover a wider and wider range of situations. Here are some examples of non-standard use, gleaned from recent messageboard postings:

"We need to decide what to do about that now innit." (don't we?)

"Now I can start calling you that, INNIT!" (can't I?)

"I can see where my REAL friends are, elsewhere innit!!" (aren't they?)

"I'll show young Miss Hanna round to all the shops, innit." (won't I?)

"I heard he was good in TNA when he was there so he can still wrestle good innit?" (can't he?)

It drives me up the wall, innit. (doesn't it?)

So that's what "innit" means.

Good luck with that.

Yup, I agree.

I'm not legitimizing the use of "ax" as "ask". I'm just saying it's here and here to stay. But I'm also saying that the reason "Show me a dictionary definition" isn't sufficient.

It's sufficient for me, because it legitimizes it as an actual word. You don't have to agree with me, but if someone argues which is the proper term, "ax" or "ask" a question we all know what the correct response is. Not the made up slang we're forced to accept because some people have poor command of the English language.

• Like 2

Words is good.

I like useing them.

(But me genius)

-The Perspicacitator

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-2gHxueV-xCI/UtbVZsSalOI/AAAAAAAACT0/x5MDfUWw9p0/s1600/Ren%25C3%25A9%2BMagritte%252C%2BLa%2BClairvoyance%252C%2B1936..jpg

• Like 2

Words is good.

I like useing them.

(But me genius)

-The Perspicacitator

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-2gHxueV-xCI/UtbVZsSalOI/AAAAAAAACT0/x5MDfUWw9p0/s1600/Ren%25C3%25A9%2BMagritte%252C%2BLa%2BClairvoyance%252C%2B1936..jpg

There's a ninety-six point seven three percent chance that that image is awesome. Mathemagics isn't in the dictionary but it's a hundred percent legit. Word.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

100% true!

I disagree. it's illiteracy whether you try passing it off as another language or not.

How about two negatives in a sentence?

"I'm not never gonna do dat."

There ain't no way you wouldn't never find me using no double negatives.

:wacko:

Edited by Your_Lion
  • Like 1

100% true!

That's not true for me. I expect EVERYONE to speak correctly, no matter WHAT the language. Skin color is not a consideration. Racism is one of the faces of STUPIDITY.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/Banana%20car%203%20cr%20sm.jpg

Edited by OldRUSHfan

How about the use of the word "like" all the time?

More painful than a thousand paper cuts with lemon juice poured into them. :rage: :rage:

• Like 2

100% true!

That's not true for me. I expect EVERYONE to speak correctly, no matter WHAT the language. Skin color is not a consideration. Racism is one of the faces of STUPIDITY.

Same here. I feel the same way. :ebert:

Sadly, though, I've seen and heard countless people spew horrible English and then turn right around and slam dark-skinned people for their specific brand of horrible English. It's total hypocrisy. These bigoted people don't even realize what they're doing. :sarcastic:

• Like 1