LEARN HOW TO SPEAK!

Tick

http://fotos.fotoflexer.com/3bccec49ca4e6b295327aa716f5144ab.jpg
  • Like 2

Saying "right" at the end of every other sentence seems to be a very unfortunate trend. So annoying and these people are supposed to be intelligent...
  • Like 2

It's across.

Not acrost.

Oh yeah. Just go look it up at the liberry and prove it.

I never heard anyone use "acrost" until I came out here. Gonna go to my liberry soon and check it out. Thanx for the suggestion!

• Like 1

The liberry still exists? Seems kind of pointless with the internet around.

I don't think people purposely pronounce words wrong a lot of the time. The words are just coming out of their mouth faster than their brain can process that they're saying it wrong.

• Like 2

I don't think people purposely pronounce words wrong a lot of the time. The words are just coming out of their mouth faster than their brain can process that they're saying it wrong.

It's much easier to read a book holding it my hands than it is trying to scroll through it on a screen, at least for me. Since I got smart and no longer buy books, the library is an invaluable resource for me.
  • Like 4

It's much easier to read a book holding it my hands than it is trying to scroll through it on a screen, at least for me. Since I got smart and no longer buy books, the library is an invaluable resource for me.

I can't read books on the internet either. I love holding a book in my hand.

Books are cost prohibitive these days. If the local library doesn't have the book I want, they can get it. So, like yourself, I do the same. If I like what I've read enough, I wait until I can get it for a penny or less than a dollar on Amazon and order it.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 3

I can't read books on the internet either. I love holding a book in my hand.

Books are cost prohibitive these days. If the local library doesn't have the book I want, they can get it. So, like yourself, I do the same. If I like what I've read enough, I wait until I can get it for a penny or less than a dollar on Amazon and order it.

Same here. I like looking on their "new book" shelves, too. I think they know what I like better than I know what I like sometimes! :D

• Like 2

I couldn't care less. = I could NOT care less. = I possess ZERO amount of caring.

I could care less. :boo hiss: :boo hiss: = I do care a little bit. I possess some caring.

• Like 4

Ah, denouncing the dialects of classes which do not speak standard american english, whether it be because of regional, socio-economic, or generational reasons. The pinnacle of comedy!

(yes i'm uptight lol)

Edited by Day of Light
  • Like 3

It's FebRuary, not FebUary. [FebROOary, Not FebYOOary...

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/angrybanana.gif

• Like 2

Saying "right" at the end of every other sentence seems to be a very unfortunate trend. So annoying and these people are supposed to be intelligent...

I know right? :P

Years ago, my sister would be like that, saying "right"... :sigh: Now it's "do you know what I mean?" "do you see what I mean?" "do you get what I mean?" :facepalm:

• Like 1

I'd like to know where some of these start, like the phrase "I know, right" mentioned above. I swear people started saying that overnight.

Another one is beginning an answer to a question with 'so'. You see it in news interviews a lot with the social justice warriors and it almost comes across as condescending to me.

Edited by MMCXII
  • Like 1

And Ebonics? That's a pretty fancy word for illiteracy.
  • Like 2

I'd like to know where some of these start, like the phrase "I know, right" mentioned above. I swear people started saying that overnight.

Another one is beginning an answer to a question with 'so'. You see it in news interviews a lot with the social justice warriors and it almost comes across as condescending to me.

"I know, right" has been around more than 20 years. One of my uni flatmates in the mid-90s used to say it all the time. Don't know where she got it from though. Heard it a lot from others then too. Maybe they got it from some super popular, crappy movie or tv show from that decade like Friends? No idea.

Coincidentally, one of my other uni flatmates used to use "so" to kick off his answers. He not only was a social justice warrior (still kind of is) but also came across as condescending more than half the time even when he actually wasn't condescending.

• Like 2

Language is evolving all the time, and there are bound to be changes which one notices within a short space of time...you only have to travel back in time to see how different Chaucerian (middle English) language was different to Elizabethan English(the dialect of Shakespeare) to see how things have changed.

In fact there are differences between American and British English too.

• Like 7

In fact there are differences between American and British English too.

I just finished teaching a 1-to-1 English lesson about half an hour ago. Despite being American, the text I usually use for this particular student focuses on British English. The student is 18 and has somewhere between an intermediate and advanced level of English...but she's much more familiar with American English...my fault ;) . Anyway, some of the new vocab for her today included: newsagent's, chemist's, and off-license. She was easily able to understand what those words were due to the context of the stories. She also knew the American English equivalents right off the bat. However, the British English terms themselves were 100% new to her.

She asked me, "If I'm in the U.S. and I ask someone on the street where an off-license is, will they understand me?" I told her, "I think it could go either way. But if you just ask them where a liquor shop is, they'll definitely understand." :hail:

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

Language changing because ignorant dummies don't know how to speak properly. A few years ago I had an issue where I had a female social worker at my house and she kept saying "ax"

I felt like saying... "you stupid bitch, say ax again! Say ax again mother f***er I dare you!"

No excuses for stupid and it's ask, NOT ask.

No matter what any of you want to say

• Like 2

I double posted so I'm changing the second post to ...

I like Turtles

Edited by Tick
  • Like 2

And Ebonics? That's a pretty fancy word for illiteracy.

100% true!

• Like 2