Most fave song by The Kinks?

Texas King

See My Friends is worth a mention. Ray was coming up with Indian inspired music before The Beatles...

It was in the air. The Beatles used a raga-like drone in "Ticket to Ride" which was released before "See My Friends". I see know real use in pointing out who came up with what and when. Indian music was a major influence on psychedelic rock and pretty much every rock artist was in on it.

Undoubtedly. Although I love the story of Ray Davies listening to Indian fishermen chanting in Bombay and coming up with the idea for the song.

I adore this choral version btw, absolutely beautiful...

Edited by Lurkst
  • Like 1

I can't believe no one mentioned Lola yet.

And a tell-tale sign that all is not well with me, I also can't believe that I forgot, until I was eating breakfast this morning when it popped into my head, that I saw The Kinks at the Fillmore East in 1969. How could i forget that??? That was my first concert ever.

Woe is me. :(

I'm losing it bad.

Lola and Your Really Got Me are given, I think. And we're way too cool to put either of those on a list. :cool:

Yeah... what he said.

Wow. Lorraine.. that's fantastic that you saw them in those days!!!

• Like 1

And a tell-tale sign that all is not well with me, I also can't believe that I forgot, until I was eating breakfast this morning when it popped into my head, that I saw The Kinks at the Fillmore East in 1969. How could i forget that??? That was my first concert ever.

I'm losing it bad.

Lola and Your Really Got Me are given, I think. And we're way too cool to put either of those on a list. :cool:

Yeah... what he said.

Yeah, back in the dark age. It was wonderful to not be attached to a cell phone or computer and to be able to speak freely without worrying if a word you were using was going to offend someone somewhere.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

I'm losing it bad.

Yeah... what he said.

Yeah, back in the dark age. It was wonderful to not be attached to a cell phone or computer and to be able to speak freely without worrying if a word you were using was going to offend someone somewhere.

Yeah. I sometimes miss my pre-Computer days.

• Like 1

I'm losing it bad.

Hey Lorraine, when you've recovered from your woe and found whatever it was you'd lost, would you mind sharing a few recollections of the concert?

Kinks live 1969? Whatdidtheyplay? Didtheyfight? Spill the beans! :LOL:

Hey VT!

Are you kidding me? I was 15 years old. That's 45+ years ago.

The only thing I remember is that Spirit was the lead band (that's why I went to the concert - to see Spirit) and The Kinks were the "co-stars." In 1969, the Kinks weren't too popular. There had been a rumor going around for years that Ray was strung out and killing himself with drugs. I think I was the only person in my high school that owned Arthur. Bonzo Dog Band was the other band in the lineup. We had good seats too, and the concert wasn't even sold out. I remember them doing a lot of their top hits from the sixties.

The above are my own personal recollections of how it was in my sphere at that time, and I'm not saying it was the same all over.

Kinks and Bonzo Dog Band?!?! Fun!

Never saw the Kinks but would've loved to. Looks like it was a pretty good setlist!

Thanks Lorraine!

• Like 1

Animal Farm

Huge fan so there are so many I could pick. When I was young it was "Wait 'til the Summer Comes Along" or "Well Respected Man", and "Picture Book" still never fails to make my day, but I just love Animal Farm. I pretty much love all of Village Green really.

• Like 2

Animal Farm

Huge fan so there are so many I could pick. When I was young it was "Wait 'til the Summer Comes Along" or "Well Respected Man", and "Picture Book" still never fails to make my day, but I just love Animal Farm. I pretty much love all of Village Green really.

As a total nerd, I liked that record so much that I went out and bought a copy of "Under Milk Wood" as it was supposedly loosely based on it.

"Under Milk Wood" blew my mind as much as Village Green. Great great great writing.

Dylan Thomas! Whoo!

thomas.jpg

"An alcoholic is someone you don't like who drinks as much as you do."

• Like 2

My all time favourite song since I was a child is Waterloo Sunset.

Easy!

• Like 2

Really I have a lot...

Top of the Pops

Alcohol

2oth Century Man

Misfits

Have A Cuppa Tea

Well Respected Man

Living on A Thin Line

Etc

Living on a Thin Line is a great song! Do It Again is another good song off that album.

Saw that tour, front row balcony Paramount in Seattle. Excellent show