The British 60s/70s hard rock duel! Who, Zep?

flying flames or...  

54 members have voted

1. 1. unknown names?

• Led Zeppelin
    • The Who
    • both! I cannot favor either over the other! I'll die if I do! :0
    • neither, they both suck (you poor soul)

Torn...i have listened to more Zep but the last time I played a Who album:

Mind. Blown.

On the fence...but I enjoyed that Who album more than any Zep!

• Like 4

I find the Who more interesting when I think about it...but much less consistent.

They're pretty evenly matched really.

• Like 1

Zep in a blowout. The Who were inconsistent, and at their best they can barely touch Zep's worst. On every possible metric, Zep blows The Who out of the water, and I love The Who.
  • Like 1

Zep were probably a more consistent band, with Peter Grant providing a further force to the machine, but The Who combined madness with the genius of Pete's songwriting; Tommy, Who's Next and Quadrophenia were much ahead of their time.
  • Like 2

Zep were probably a more consistent band, with Peter Grant providing a further force to the machine, but The Who combined madness with the genius of Pete's songwriting; Tommy, Who's Next and Quadrophenia were much ahead of their time.

There's only one Quadrophenia. And Led Zep didn't do it.

• Like 2

Both. Can't choose. Both had great catalogs of songs.

Who's Next is my favorite rock record of all time.... Quadrophenia, Who By Numbers, Who Sell Out... all classics in my book. Plus so many great singles!

Zeppelin..titans. LZ3 through Presence is amazing.

Edited by Mystic Slipperman

I'm not trying to come across as snotty, I am sincerely wondering. How are the Who albums mentioned were ahead of their time? They are fantastic, brilliant, masterpieces, but other than Pete Townshend's ambition and vision they seem to be albums very much apart of their time. Punk, New wave and disco were right around the corner.

Edited by ReRushed
  • Like 1

Would always have put Zeppelin at the top, but as my love of the blues grows, my love for Zep decreases.

In terms of inventiveness, hard to beat The Who.

Interesting and very plausible take on Led Zeppelin. Would your opinion be different if Zep acknowledged their theft of authorship from the get-go? The obvious plagiarism and stubbornness in giving credit has always been a sticking point with me. Still, Zep is massively great, IMHO.

• Like 1

Would always have put Zeppelin at the top, but as my love of the blues grows, my love for Zep decreases.

In terms of inventiveness, hard to beat The Who.

Interesting and very plausible take on Led Zeppelin. Would your opinion be different if Zep acknowledged their theft of authorship from the get-go? The obvious plagiarism and stubbornness in giving credit has always been a sticking point with me. Still, Zep is massively great, IMHO.

I think so, because every blues they "reimagined" you can hear the foundations loud and clear. In My Time Of Dying is so similar to Bukka White's version it's kinda galling.

Still love 'em, but my ardour has cooled a bit.

Zep by a landslide. The Who are great, but Zep are the greatest.

Their pilfering of old blues songs is so ridiculously blown out of proportion. Their renditions of said songs were a GIGANTIC musical leap over the originals.

That being said, they still should have acknowledged the original writers.

• Like 1