Do you consider Moving Pictures to be a perfect album, a masterpiece?

• Please log in to reply
346 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you consider Moving Pictures to be a perfect album, a masterpiece? (84 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you consider Moving Pictures to be a perfect album, a masterpiece?

1. Yes (53 votes [63.10%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 63.10%

2. No (22 votes [26.19%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.19%

3. Unsure (9 votes [10.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#301 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

Holy Tai Shan!!!

• Members *
  • 23415 posts
  • Interests:American Muscle/Sports cars, Movies, New York City Subway, Cigar Lounges

Posted 08 June 2017 - 12:56 PM

View PostRutlefan, on 08 June 2017 - 11:41 AM, said:

Absolutely! I might prefer Hemi and PeW on a given day, but MP should be obviously be a "hitting on all cylinders, lightning in a bottle" album, even to the most disinterested observer. Drive by post so I'm probably repeating things that have been said twenty times already, but any and all of the tracks can be called great, even if I don't personally love it/them. For example, I've never loved YYZ, but I totally get why other people do, and I recognize the defect (if one has to be assigned) is in me, not the track. Witch Hunt is not a great stand alone track, but in the run of the album it is perfect. Just a perfect album really, even how the two sides complement one another in that side two doesn't try to retread the same ground as the first. Hearing it for the first time in '81 I was totally floored. Rush was by far my favorite band, and I was a huge believer, but even I listened in disbelief as one glorious track after another rolled by. Apart from Zeppelin IV, or along with Zep IV, I still don't think I've ever heard an album that so nailed it track after track.
:goodone:

Done, 73 close this thread at your earliest convenience. Yes that means before pouring a beer to listen to an NHL podcast for the evening.

Sponsored Post

#302 YYZ Working Man

YYZ Working Man

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2164 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 04:55 PM

perfect side 1
95% side 2
perfect recording
perfect timing
about 97% overall
Ranks #1 Rush album for me

#303 diatribein

diatribein

The Seeker

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 09:47 PM

Are we defining masterpiece as a perfect album where one loves every single song on said album? If so, then my answer is no. Moving Pictures was the right album for the right time with some spectacular songs that really caught the ear of the general public as much as people who already knew RUSH. For me though, it contains two songs I do not like, The Camera Eye & YYZ. By this definition I would only rank Grace Under Pressure and Geddy Lee's My Favourite Headache as masterpieces. Power Windows comes very close, but I do not like Emotion Detector and Permanent Waves is ruined by Jacob's Ladder in my opinion. I think in terms of public perception it could be a masterpiece, but if we are going by that definition, so is Bon Jovi's Slippery When Wet, Def Leppard's Hysteria, U2's The Joshua Tree, Michael Jackson's Thriller... you get the point.

Top 5 RUSH album, yes; Masterpiece, no.

#304 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 53733 posts
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 11 June 2017 - 09:50 PM

View Postbluefox4000, on 07 June 2017 - 11:58 AM, said:

Perfection is in the eye of the beholder really.

Mick
Ear.

#305 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 10808 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 11:06 PM

View Postdiatribein, on 11 June 2017 - 09:47 PM, said:

Are we defining masterpiece as a perfect album where one loves every single song on said album? If so, then my answer is no. Moving Pictures was the right album for the right time with some spectacular songs that really caught the ear of the general public as much as people who already knew RUSH. For me though, it contains two songs I do not like, The Camera Eye & YYZ. By this definition I would only rank Grace Under Pressure and Geddy Lee's My Favourite Headache as masterpieces. Power Windows comes very close, but I do not like Emotion Detector and Permanent Waves is ruined by Jacob's Ladder in my opinion. I think in terms of public perception it could be a masterpiece, but if we are going by that definition, so is Bon Jovi's Slippery When Wet, Def Leppard's Hysteria, U2's The Joshua Tree, Michael Jackson's Thriller... you get the point.

Posted Image

#306 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 30019 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:23 AM

View Postgoose, on 11 June 2017 - 09:50 PM, said:

Mick
Ear.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Time for some "Radar Love."

Signed,

Golden "EAR"ring

#307 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 30019 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:28 AM

View PostLucas, on 11 June 2017 - 11:06 PM, said:

Posted Image

Classic Lucas.

Like I just said tonight, "opinions are like assholes, everybody has one" but WOW!

The common housefly I mean RUSH fan must have no clue about the brilliance and intellect of a masterpiece.

For my eyes, I mean "ears"  lol

Every RUSH record is a MASTERPIECE up to "COUNTERPARTS."

Then once Neil had to change his fuckking grip and drum configuration it was all downhill from there.

MY OPINION!  

I am a drummer and an asshole!!!

You don't have to agree with me!!  Who cares!!!

Just take care of yourself.  "Anthem"

#308 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 30019 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:31 AM

View Postgoose, on 11 June 2017 - 09:50 PM, said:

Mick
Ear.

"Presto" Bunnies

Another album I adore and love.  Saw that tour four times with Mr. Big opening.  It got really old fast with Eric Martin on the mic screaming "ARE YOU ADDICTED TO RUSH?"

Jesus!  It killed me!!

People hate "Presto."

HAHAHA!

People probably hate to Breathe... breathe in the air too.

Signed,

PINK FLOYD

#309 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30145 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 02:25 AM

View PostLucas, on 11 June 2017 - 11:06 PM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#310 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 32228 posts
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Nightwish
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    REM
    Thrice
    Idlewild
    Jimmy Eat World
    HIM
    Paradise Lost
    AFI
    U2
    Bruce Springsteen
    Sonata Arctica
    Pearl Jam
    Biffy Clyro
    Placebo

Posted 12 June 2017 - 02:32 AM

All those albums you mentioned are masterpieces.

#311 Rutlefan

Rutlefan

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1927 posts
  • Interests:Things that roll and fly, esp. Alfa Romeo (God I love Alfas; it's an illness); Tolkien, classic sci-fi, history and such

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:52 PM

View PostPermanent-Rush, on 08 June 2017 - 11:44 AM, said:

View PostTexas King, on 08 June 2017 - 11:42 AM, said:

MP is not a 10/10 album, it's about 8.5/10 in my book. Vital Signs is probably the main reason and not much of AWESOME songs on the album. Looking on average, songs are very good, but not awesome!

10/10 imo, and all the songs are awesome! Some of Rush's best work to date!

"Some of Rush's best work to date!" You're expecting something better to come along? :D  I have to congratulate you on being the most optimistic person I think I might have ever come across! It's a gift, congratulations. :ebert:

#312 Todem

Todem

Brosaucerous

• Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Interests:Playing guitar, writing,recording and performing music, coaching and playing baseball, golf, tennis, stocks, playing video games, spending as much time as I can with my wife and son.

Posted 12 June 2017 - 03:21 PM

I love every track.

They had two perfect records.

Waves and Pictures.

The pinnacle of their brilliance.

#313 ReRushed

ReRushed

My Yellow Submarine is docked at Red Sector A

• Members
  • 18671 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:07 PM

I think Moving Pictures is an album that goes to 11.

#314 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 30019 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:58 PM

View PostReRushed, on 12 June 2017 - 08:07 PM, said:

Like the volume in This Is Spinal Tap.

#315 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 10808 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:09 PM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 12 June 2017 - 08:58 PM, said:

Like the volume in This Is Spinal Tap.

or Peter North's tape measure

#316 ytserush

ytserush

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3899 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 05:31 PM

Kind of like Vapor Trails, Snakes And Arrows, and Clockwork Angels...

#317 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42114 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:52 PM

36 years old and it still sounds as good today as it did back then.

#318 Jack Aubrey

Jack Aubrey

The Gun Crank

• 22063 posts
  • Interests:Studying Scripture, movies, reading, military history, target shooting, drums and percussion, temperate, jungle, desert, arctic, and urban survival, saltwater fishing, playing with and training my dogs Sam and River, prepping and tactical training.

Posted 25 October 2017 - 06:09 PM

A big ol' YES on that!!!!

#319 Rushman14

Rushman14

Mr. Hollywood

• Members *
  • 11062 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 06:22 PM

Posted Image

#320 TexMike

TexMike

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1292 posts
  • Interests:Music, photography, travel

Posted 25 October 2017 - 06:32 PM

Perfect?  No.  Masterpiece?  Absolutely!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users