Do you consider Moving Pictures to be a perfect album, a masterpiece?

Texas King

Do you consider Moving Pictures to be a perfect album, a masterpiece?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider Moving Pictures to be a perfect album, a masterpiece?

I would say yes. In my opinion, there is only one minor flaw: The Camera Eye doesn't need to be as long as it is. It's a good song, but it would have been just as good (if not better) if it were only about 5-6 minutes long.

I used to think it was too long and for years i couldn't really get into it but somewhere in the 90s it all clicked.It is probably my fave track after Red Barchetta.Now if we could just crop ten minutes off Xanadu. Edited by grasbo

Why is the most popular album by any given band referred too as overrated?

Be grateful music lovers at large appreciate on any level an artist you love.

And be grateful unlike most you enjoy that bands music beyond the mere "hits".

• Like 3

You "No" or "Unsure" voters need to log out. Then go sit in a dark quiet corner to think aboot yourselves, really do deep introspection. After a few hours of that give Moving Pictures another listen. Really question whether you should log back in.

When 25% of the album is tied up in one track that is awful, this doesn't help.

Lorraine probably nails it.

I never said it was overrated.

That wasn't the question. The question was whether you thought it was perfect. And I don't. It's a great, great album, but, for me, side 2 puts it just a little way outside of perfection.

• Like 1

I never said it was overrated.

That wasn't the question. The question was whether you thought it was perfect. And I don't. It's a great, great album, but, for me, side 2 puts it just a little way outside of perfection.

What's wrong with you Myles? Did you skip down the street and slip and fall and crack open your beautiful head?

You don't seem to be understanding certain posts correctly of late.

Are you ok?

I do my best to not personally rate every album I love as perfect or a 10 out of 10 or a masterpiece. I usually rate albums the same way I rate Hall of Famers in sports. If I find there's a second of doubt or I have to debate or rationalize, then no, an album is not a masterpiece. I don't feel that way about Moving Pictures. It's a masterpiece. It's a perfect listening experience. It's a masterpiece. It's one of those albums.
  • Like 4

Its a great album. A Masterpiece yes. Perfect? No. On a scale of 1 to 5 (1 being a horrible song and 5 being a truly great song) it has 3 songs I rank as a 5 (TS, Red Barchetta, & Limelight). It also has 3 songs I would rank as solid, strong 4's (Witch Hunt, The Camera Eye & Vital Signs - Vital Sign being the weakest of those but still very good). Then it has one song I would rank as a 2 (YYZ).

You "No" or "Unsure" voters need to log out. Then go sit in a dark quiet corner to think aboot yourselves, really do deep introspection. After a few hours of that give Moving Pictures another listen. Really question whether you should log back in.

:LOL:
  • Like 1

Yes. It is a masterpiece on several levels:

1. Sonically it sounds amazing. Great production, great mix & master...all of the post music work is flawless.

2. The musicianship is stellar all the way around. Amazing playing from The Guys at Work.

3. Each song is either perfectly constructed or damn close, they hit their songwriting stride (a mean, mean stride that is...) on this album.

Masterpiece.

• Like 5

I would sum it up this way:(and not being a smart-ass because it's my honest opinion): Moving Pictures was a testament to what a three-man band can achieve..sonically, vocally, spirit...a near perfect album! But Permanent Waves is still better.
  • Like 2

Yes. It is a masterpiece on several levels:

1. Sonically it sounds amazing. Great production, great mix & master...all of the post music work is flawless.

2. The musicianship is stellar all the way around. Amazing playing from The Guys at Work.

3. Each song is either perfectly constructed or damn close, they hit their songwriting stride (a mean, mean stride that is...) on this album.

Masterpiece.

Liked for "hitting their songwriting stride (a mean, mean stride.."

• Like 2

To me, practically everything from Permanent Waves through Grace Under Pressure was pretty much the band's best four album run. Then "Power Windows" was released, and I thought, "Damn! Listen to the different sounds these f***ers can make!" I've said before..their only bad album over 40 years was "Test for Echo" They mailed that shit in.
  • Like 2

I do my best to not personally rate every album I love as perfect or a 10 out of 10 or a masterpiece. I usually rate albums the same way I rate Hall of Famers in sports. If I find there's a second of doubt or I have to debate or rationalize, then no, an album is not a masterpiece. I don't feel that way about Moving Pictures. It's a masterpiece. It's a perfect listening experience. It's a masterpiece. It's one of those albums.

I wish I could have liked this twice!
  • Like 2

I think anyone that says "Moving Pictures" isn't a masterpiece is either a fan that hasn't heard the full album or is trying for "Hipster" status by putting it down. Moving Pictures is a perfect album from go to stop. Buuuut..Permanent Waves is even better. Guys...Rush made two of the best albums back-to-back that the rock world may ever know!
  • Like 2

I think anyone that says "Moving Pictures" isn't a masterpiece is either a fan that hasn't heard the full album or is trying for "Hipster" status by putting it down. Moving Pictures is a perfect album from go to stop. Buuuut..Permanent Waves is even better. Guys...Rush made two of the best albums back-to-back that the rock world may ever know!

I guess I should add...IMO

• Like 2

BRAVO

BRAVO

Maybe there are a few more NO votes due to the phrasing of the question. Maybe some think MP is a masterpiece but not perfect so they felt compelled to vote NO. After all, "masterpiece" could simply mean, "anything done with masterly skill". But "perfect"? That's a hard thing to ask people to commit to. Hell, 2112 isn't perfect to me (it nearly is) but it sure is a masterpiece that I'd still give an "A" grade.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/masterpiece?s=t

Imho, Rush made 3 perfect albums and even a few more masterpieces.

I voted YES if it isn't already obvious.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 4

It is a f***ing masterpiece. Not just a masterpiece, but a f***ing masterpiece. I love every second of the album.

The Camera Eye is NOT too long.

Witch Hunt is brilliant as it makes you feel like you are in an actual witch hunt. Some of Neil's best lyrics too.

Vital Signs, while not a classic per se, still rocks out with a cool vibe.

• Like 4