Sgt Pepper 50th Anniversary

Rhyta

I can't believe that much time has gone by and I am so happy that this album is getting some more praise along with a new release :

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/review-the-beatles-sgt-peppers-anniversary-editions-w484397

I always play it in the summertime, bringing back that summer with all its memories when I sat in the front room playing it over and over, reading the liner notes and memorizing the lyrics. It was brash, bold and for the times, psychedelic man. :rose: :smoke:

I know what I am asking for my birthday this year! Think I'll go give it a listen tonight. Anyone want to share their memories or thoughts about the album? :D :clap: :wub:

• Like 10

Listened from Sgt. Pepper through the white album the other day. Excellent stuff, all of it. Timeless too.
  • Like 3

Many of you think that I'm nuts but I luckily I am a man who has no fear of what people think about me.

Have you guys even looked at the Japanese SHM Box of this version with a T-shirt?

300 USD.

I want two.

• Like 1

This is the only Beatles album that my Dad owned on vinyl, therefore it's the only Beatles album that I've been listening to since childhood. Obviously I have other favourite Beatles albums, too, like Rubber Soul, Revolver, White Album, Abbey Road...but none of them have as much memories and nostalgia rolled up in them.

I'm going to have to give this one a spin.

Edited by Your_Lion
  • Like 2

Yes, I bought it back in 1967 and was totally mesmerized by it. Was 10 years old at the time. I do remember being sad as a page had been turned, and the Beatles I was used to had changed.

I very well remember buying it too. I was soon to be 13.

This is starting to depress me - all of these anniversaries.

It honestly doesn't seem as if 50 whole years have gone by.

• Like 3

It's a wonderful album, but I do prefer what came before and after. I am looking forward to hearing Giles Martin work his magic.

I thought you didn't like MMT, but maybe it was someone else.

Edit: Never mind. Just shows you what a Beatles' fan I am. I see MMT actually came out after Sgt. Pepper. Mea culpa.

Edited by Lorraine

Many of you think that I'm nuts but I luckily I am a man who has no fear of what people think about me.

Have you guys even looked at the Japanese SHM Box of this version with a T-shirt?

300 USD.

I want two.

I don,t see one with a t shirt?

I'd like to share the memory I have of the Beatles when this album came out. I remember thinking how avant garde they were. Always ahead of their time. Always revolutionizing the world with their music. They seemed to always be the first to do anything, and you never knew what they were going to do next. They never seemed to disappoint us either. They were always there in the background of my life growing up. From I Want To Hold Your Hand, when I was 10 years old and my brother came home from work one night with the 45 and my mother and I laughed at the picture of four grown men who wore their hair so long, up until the end, The Long and Winding Road, when I was almost finished high school.

It's very hard for me to listen to them today. The memories are too painful at this point in time in my life.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 6

I just remembered something else from back then.

I had yet to discover FM and was still listening to AM in 1967. The song A Day In The Life was banned from WABC AM due to the drug references.

My, how times have changed.

• Like 2

I think they saw a poster of an old band and came up with the idea. I started to read the article in Rolling Stone but haven't finished it yet, seems it was Paul's idea and they all ran with it. A chance to be someone else, to get away from the crazy screaming fans.

There are so many songs on this album I love, I listened last night and had a laugh with For the Benefit of Mr. Kite. It is just like being at a circus with the calliope and all the sounds. My favorite I think is Within You and Without You. I was fascinated with the sounds of the Indian instruments, (tablas are cool along with sitar of course) and I later bought a Ravi Shankar album.

The concept of the album was fun and I tried to pick out who was in the background of the album cover, lots of famous faces.

• Like 2

Did The Beatles ever say who or what inspired each song? Yes, I know Julian is the one behind Lucy, but how about the other songs?

Lovely Rita actually gave Paul a parking ticket. I remember watching a news report on her when she retired in the mid 1980s.

• Like 3

Amazing album. I remember sitting and looking at the cover for the longest time trying to figure out who the people were.
  • Like 2

Did The Beatles ever say who or what inspired each song? Yes, I know Julian is the one behind Lucy, but how about the other songs?

As a whole, the album itself was inspired by The Beach Boys' Pet Sounds.

Edited by The K Man
  • Like 2