ABZ's Football (Soccer) Thread!!

ABZ Highlander

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a huge football fan. I've supported Cardiff City all my life. I even (big intake of breath required here) sold my ticket to see Rush at the NEC during the Roll The Bones tour so I could see Cardiff play at home.

I'm not the biggest fan of the Premier league though. They seem like a bunch of prancing ponies falling over at every opportunity.

The only other team I keep an eye out for is Inter Milan (I have no idea why. I've just always have for as long as i can remember)

QUOTE (plodder @ Sep 25 2005, 12:03 PM)
I am a huge football fan. I've supported Cardiff City all my life. I even (big intake of breath required here) sold my ticket to see Rush at the NEC during the Roll The Bones tour so I could see Cardiff play at home.

I'm not the biggest fan of the Premier league though. They seem like a bunch of prancing ponies falling over at every opportunity.

The only other team I keep an eye out for is Inter Milan (I have no idea why. I've just always have for as long as i can remember)

If you're anything like me, you won't be a fan of the Premier League because you're a fan of British, not European Football.

By the way, what is the best French team at the moment?

Arsenal!

Seriously though, I'm not a massive football fan although I do follow the fortunes of two teams in a hap-hazard manner - namely Mansfield Town (my home team) and Queen of the South (my grandfather's family was from Dumfries).

Strange thing is, a friend of mine has said that he's watched some of the best football he's seen in years on late night cable TV recently. Apparently, someone is actually showing some Conference games and they're supposed to be thrilling.

There doesn't really seem to be any point in trying to get promoted to the premier league anymore. I know you can get a big cash injection, but that is usually spent on players to try and keep you up there anyway.

The only excitement now is the race for second place and who stays up or goes down.

International football has never held any interest for me at all. Rush will play "Hand Over Fist" in my back garden before Wales will ever qualify for any major competition.

Do you think there should be a wage cap? or a maximum amount any club can spend on transfers? or a cap on foriegn (non UK or even non English!!) players in any first team squad named on match day?

QUOTE (plodder @ Sep 25 2005, 01:44 PM)
There doesn't really seem to be any point in trying to get promoted to the premier league anymore. I know you can get a big cash injection, but that is usually spent on players to try and keep you up there anyway.

The only excitement now is the race for second place and who stays up or goes down.

International football has never held any interest for me at all. Rush will play "Hand Over Fist" in my back garden before Wales will ever qualify for any major competition.

Do you think there should be a wage cap? or a maximum amount any club can spend on transfers? or a cap on foriegn (non UK or even non English!!) players in any first team squad named on match day?

Try saying that to Wigan Athletic!! The JJB Stadium is now full to the brim, whereas a few years ago they attracted less crowd than the Rugby League team. And do you see signs of them being relegated??

Salary caps won't work...all the clubs do to get over that is give the players a credit card, which the club pays for, or a house or other incentives.

I can see you support a club who has virtually no chance of making it into the Premier League. If they were top of the Championship by now, you'd probably change your tune.

I heard a quote from a Sheff Utd fan over the weekend saying he hoped his side went on their usual end of season dip in form because he wasn't looking forward to not being able to afford the tickets to see them if they went up into the premier league.

It's true that Cardiff haven't much chance in getting up at the moment, but I can assure you that i'll still be saying the same things. The prem league is great for the few clubs that maintain a year in year out precence in there.

I'm really pleased for Wigan and I really hope that they make a mark there this season.

smile.gif Nice to see a few replies!. Got to agree that the Premiership is over already, Chelsea have it in the bag. The big interest will be the relegation dogfight and the Championship, which will be pretty tight. Hopefully my team Derby,( long story!) will be involved at the business end! Up here on the other hand, Hearts winning and teams like Aberdeen yes.gif , and Hibs horsing Rangers and keeping Celtic honest are making for a very exciting league, crowds and goals are the highest for years, it's all shaping up rather nicely!

It's good to see the Scottish league being more competitive. Let's hope it's a fore runner to your National team getting stronger too.

QUOTE (ABZ Highlander @ Sep 26 2005, 02:32 PM)
smile.gif Nice to see a few replies!. Got to agree that the Premiership is over already, Chelsea have it in the bag. The big interest will be the relegation dogfight and the Championship, which will be pretty tight. Hopefully my team Derby,( long story!) will be involved at the business end! Up here on the other hand, Hearts winning and teams like Aberdeen yes.gif , and Hibs horsing Rangers and keeping Celtic honest are making for a very exciting league, crowds and goals are the highest for years, it's all shaping up rather nicely!

I'm a Gers fan ph34r.gif

but its great to see Hearts up there, just as long as Celtic don't win it mad.gif

I remember well the last time Hearts chased the league title seriously....it was the 1985/86 season (I remember it because it was the year I graduated from Uni). Unfortunately Celtic pipped them on the last game of the season - on goal difference! mad.gif

QUOTE (plodder @ Sep 26 2005, 04:57 PM)
It's good to see the Scottish league being more competitive. Let's hope it's a fore runner to your National team getting stronger too.

Aye, the National team are doing very well, a bit late for Germany next year maybe, but stranger things have happened!! Looking pretty good for the future though. trink39.gif

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Sep 26 2005, 05:16 PM)
QUOTE (ABZ Highlander @ Sep 26 2005, 02:32 PM)
smile.gif Nice to see a few replies!. Got to agree that the Premiership is over already, Chelsea have it in the bag. The big interest will be the relegation dogfight and the Championship, which will be pretty tight. Hopefully my team Derby,( long story!) will be involved at the business end! Up here on the other hand, Hearts winning and teams like Aberdeen  yes.gif , and Hibs horsing Rangers and keeping Celtic honest are making for a very exciting league, crowds and goals are the highest for years, it's all shaping up rather nicely!

I'm a Gers fan ph34r.gif

but its great to see Hearts up there, just as long as Celtic don't win it mad.gif

I remember well the last time Hearts chased the league title seriously....it was the 1985/86 season (I remember it because it was the year I graduated from Uni). Unfortunately Celtic pipped them on the last game of the season - on goal difference! mad.gif

tongue.gif then they lost the Cup Final a week later to the mighty AFC!! The Double gone just like that, the sound of breaking glass everywhere as their bottle crashed!! laugh.gif

Good set of fixtures for tonight.

My guys are away at Stoke. Anyone elses teams playing? I'm hoping both Brit teams in the Champs league win tonight, although I'm not a big Wenger fan to be honest.

Yeay for us, 3-0 away. Luton at home Saturday.

Liverpool - Chelsea was a snooze fest.

At time of writing Bolton just went though to the group stages of the Uefa cup.

This says it all:

1 Grimsby Town 11 7 2 2 +10 23

2 Wycombe Wanderers 11 5 6 0 +10 21

3 Chester City 11 5 5 1 +9 20

4 Leyton Orient 11 6 2 3 +1 20

5 Rochdale 11 5 2 4 +7 17

6 Northampton Town 11 4 5 2 +5 17

7 Cheltenham Town 11 4 5 2 +3 17

8 Oxford United 11 4 5 2 +1 17

9 Carlisle United 11 5 2 4 0 17

10 Notts County 11 4 5 2 -1 17

11 Shrewsbury Town 11 4 4 3 +3 16

12 Lincoln City 11 3 5 3 +2 14

13 Darlington 11 3 5 3 +1 14

14 Peterborough United 11 4 2 5 0 14

15 Barnet 11 3 4 4 -1 13

16 Wrexham 11 3 4 4 -1 13

17 Bristol Rovers 11 3 3 5 -6 12

18 Rushden & Diamonds 11 2 5 4 -6 11

19 Stockport County 11 1 7 3 -3 10

20 Boston United 11 1 7 3 -5 10

21 Macclesfield Town 11 2 4 5 -6 10

22 Bury 11 2 3 6 -6 9

23 Torquay United 11 2 2 7 -11 8

24 Mansfield Town 11 1 4 6 -6 7

and no manager either.

Oh well, it proves we're the strongest team in the league - we'ew holding everyone else up.

One interesting development - John Hollins has said he's interested in managing the Stags. I can think of worse condidates (who was that who said Carlton Palmer at the back).

^

^

^

No wonder you don't like footy Slaine....didn't know you were at the bottom rofl3.gif

The Conference is such a difficult division to get out of you know yes.gif rofl3.gif

We bought Phil Stant from Mansfield and he became one of the most loved players we ever had. I can remember seeing a game against Mansfield and at one point during the game it was so foggy you couldn't see the goals.

Liverpool - Chelsea!! mad.gif Was that football!! Took a torch and went outside to watch the grass grow when that was on!! Way more exciting! tongue.gif Well done to Bolton, great result today.

As for the Scottish teams, Rangers played ok against Inter, still lost, and poor Hibernian got horsed 5-1 by Dnipro! Just finished watching that one, they didn't deserve to lose so heavily. They're a very young team, hopefully they'll qualify next year and do a bit better.

As for Derby mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif !!

QUOTE (ABZ Highlander @ Sep 29 2005, 09:56 PM)
QUOTE (rickyrob @ Sep 29 2005, 08:45 PM)
Everton are out too...unless they can get 3 goals in 8 mins

Plenty of Scots in their team Highlander  wink.gif

tongue.gif Aye, Sh*te one's rick!!! biggrin.gif

McFadden's ok unsure.gif

on the other hand...

phht, stupid game anyway.

mad.gif

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Sep 29 2005, 06:44 PM)
^
^
^
No wonder you don't like footy Slaine....didn't know you were at the bottom rofl3.gif

The Conference is such a difficult division to get out of you know yes.gif rofl3.gif

I've always said I don't watch football as I support Mansfield laugh.gif

However, a lot of teams in League 2 are saying that Mansfield are one of the best teams for actual football played, we've got two main problems:

1) We can't seem to score

2) We give away silly goals.

Then again, that's often been the case with Mansfield

QUOTE (plodder @ Oct 1 2005, 05:05 PM)
phht, stupid game anyway.

mad.gif

Hey, I didn't know they were doing so well. They went a goal up in that game.

They might be challenging this season smile.gif

Archived