40 years today, in a galaxy far, far away...

Presto-digitation

StarWarsMoviePoster1977.jpg

Anyone's snarky quips about Joseph Campbell and Bernard Hermann being ripped off be goddamned in this thread. http://storage.proboards.com/forum/images/smiley/tongue.png

40 years ago...today. From the moment I first saw Star Wars, my life - my imagination - was transformed. 40 years later I will celebrate in December with a new film. I never could have imagined that then. George, thank you for providing my entire lifetime with your characters, creativity, and technological vision. And to John Williams for your soundtracks, whose themes still excite me to this day.

Edited by Presto-digitation
  • Like 3

This is the first movie I remember watching in the cinema. I was exactly 3 months shy of my 5th birthday.

The toy purchasing soon followed.

You went to see Star Wars as a 5 year old? That is kinda young :S

I was 8, and we saw it at the drive in with the tiny little window speaker. The last thing I remember was "Help me Obi wan Kenobi, you're my only hope" before fell asleep. I didn't see the movies till at least 10 years later. Edited by edhunter

This is the first movie I remember watching in the cinema. I was exactly 3 months shy of my 5th birthday.

You went to see Star Wars as a 5 year old? That is kinda young :S

Yup. I probably went in June so I wasn't quite yet 5 (my bday is in August). I remember watching it though. Chewbacca was scary at first but of course I loved him soon after. Darth Vader though was terrifying.

Yeah I was around 4 or so when I saw it in the theater. Honestly the only thing I remember at all is when Luke was looking through the binoculars and the Sand Person jumped up with his stick all *ARRRRGGHHHHUNNNGAHHH!!!!"

It must've scared the shit out of me because that's literally the ONLY part I remember from seeing it then.

Yeah I was around 4 or so when I saw it in the theater. Honestly the only thing I remember at all is when Luke was looking through the binoculars and the Sand Person jumped up with his stick all *ARRRRGGHHHHUNNNGAHHH!!!!"

It must've scared the shit out of me because that's literally the ONLY part I remember from seeing it then.

I imagine that made everyone jump. I know I did.

I imagine that made everyone jump. I know I did.

I was 10 at the time. My sister worked at the local mall in the movie theater so I spent a chunk of the summer watching it free every day and even went quite a bit in the fall after school to watch it.

Here's to the birth of ancillary marketing! May the cash be with you.

:dweez:

https://www.ama.org/publications/MarketingNews/Pages/the-history-of-marketing-star-wars.aspx

• Like 3

Star Wars is my favorite movie of all time! Happy birthday! There's not a bad line in this film!

Bring on Episode 8!

• Like 1

I remember standing in line at the cinema at the Cerritos Mall in SoCal. The anticipation was as remarkable as the length of the line to get in...but what a payoff. It really was a groundbreaking event that changed movies forever.
  • Like 1