Did Rush guys use drugs during their career?

Texas King

There was a thread about this when I first joined TRF. It was a good one. :cool:

In fact, i think it may have even had the same title as this thread. That's what I thought I was coming to - a resurrected thread from yesteryear when this place was where it was at baby. ;) :LOL:

Quit fooling around.

Why do you think Alex always wore a suit jacket???? Hmmmm??? :eyeroll:

And did you really think Geddy had all of that energy naturally??????????? :eh:

As for Neil, no comment. :ph34r:

Just kidding everyone.

• Like 1

there's a helpful website called google.com. If you post your question there I think it will provide your answer (likely in the affirmative).

YES. In the book "Contents Under Pressure" , there are all kinds of stories about how they used to smoke weed, etc. on their early tours with KISS. Alex has an early story about how he got his wisdom teeth out and took a bunch of Vicodin and then smoked hash and played the same night in a bar in Toronto. There's an interview somewhere on YouTube where they are talking about recording in Wales (can't remember if it is AFTK or Hemispheres) and Geddy and Alex say, "If it was Wales, it was hash." There are some interviews where Alex talks about doing cocaine through the 80's and waking up with his pulse racing and it was not a peaceful experience! Alex has another one where he talks about he and his wife trying Ecstasy and having a great night of communicating about their marriage. I think that is in the Rolling Stone cover article? I know in the Rolling Stone article it talks about Neil still smoking weed but he says, "I'm not gonna be a poster child for it." In the same article, Alex is smoking weed in front of the writer; he has a medical card for it from Canada because of his psoriatic arthritis. I read somewhere else that Geddy gave it up years ago (along with regular cigarettes) because it was causing voice problems.

Don't judge the 70's unless you lived through them . . . . ;)

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 6

YES. In the book "Contents Under Pressure" , there are all kinds of stories about how they used to smoke weed, etc. on their early tours with KISS. Alex has an early story about how he got his wisdom teeth out and took a bunch of Vicodin and then smoked hash and played the same night in a bar in Toronto. There's an interview somewhere on YouTube where they are talking about recording in Wales (can't remember if it is AFTK or Hemispheres) and Geddy and Alex say, "If it was Wales, it was hash." There are some interviews where Alex talks about doing cocaine through the 80's and waking up with his pulse racing and it was not a peaceful experience! Alex has another one where he talks about he and his wife trying Ecstasy and having a great night of communicating about their marriage. I think that is in the Rolling Stone cover article? I know in the Rolling Stone article it talks about Neil still smoking weed but he says, "I'm not gonna be a poster child for it." In the same article, Alex is smoking weed in front of the writer; he has a medical card for it from Canada because of his psoriatic arthritis. I read somewhere else that Geddy gave it up years ago (along with regular cigarettes) because it was causing voice problems.

He may have well kept smoking considering how his voice sounded.

I think they all definitely still do sugar. Sugar is a drug kids. Stay in school.
  • Like 1

every band from the late 60s on used drugs.why would rush be any different? i know that touring took a physical toll on all the guys,especially,neal.i doubt seriously was ,coke or hard stuff,but most certainly used legal drugs,and of course they smoked grass.

If you don't like the idea of the three of them having experimented with certain substances, get rid of their albums, certainly their seventies ones. Those other bands you like, get rid of their albums also
  • Like 1

Guaranteed that 99.9% of all of the music made in the world was under the influence of some sort of substance. Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 2

They were 70s rockstars ffs.......you can depend upon it they were off their tits on drugs and balls deep in groupies at some point.

Ted Nugent claims he was always clean.

Randy Bachman, Ted Nugent, Gene Simmons, and the late Frank Zappa can claim in the press they've been clean, but they've also been nuts in other ways as well both good and bad.

Edited by RushFanForever

72352829f15ecb64fc81dea3cafddf45.jpg

"Yeah...don't judge!"

• Like 1

“I think we were pretty high when we made a lot of that record,” Geddy Lee said of Caress of Steel in the Rush documentary, Beyond the Lighted Stage. “And it sounds like it to me.”

Read More: 40 Years Ago: Rush Delve Into Prog With 'Caress of Steel' | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/rush-caress-of-steel-album/?trackback=tsmclip

• Like 1

http://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/72/35/28/72352829f15ecb64fc81dea3cafddf45.jpg

"Yeah...don't judge!"

My balls hurt just looking at that

• Like 5