Is Brian Johnson a good or bad vocalist?

Texas King

Is Brian Johnson a good or bad vocalist?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Is Brian Johnson a good or bad vocalist?

Always funny to see RUSH fans criticizing a vocalist.

Why? We are just more discerning.

You might get some pushback on that claim. :LOL:

That doesn't matter because it's true. I've always kind of wondered what made people dislike Geddys voice and others fall in love with it. There never seems to be a middle ground.

• Like 1

I don't like his vocals at all. He sounds like a PINCHED CAT. So I went with "bad".

You are my brother from another mother and you have taken my Music Of The Spheres Torch.

I have been writing on here for over 11 years how much I absolutely can't stand Brian's shit vocals.

He is a sweetheart of a man and a great guy!

However replacing Bon Scott was simply ridiculous.

I love a band called KROKUS. Marc Storace was going to get the job not Brian but Arista Records wouldn't let Marc out of his KROKUS deal.

I met Marc and the band 10 years ago in Reno. My ex wife and I partied with them all night. Great guys. Marc told me right to my face that the story I just told you was true.

I love that AXL is in the band. If you rockers have actually don't your homework you would learn that AC/DC is playing more Bon stuff with Axl.

BJ SUX!

Sorry!

Signed,

"Sink The Pink"

"Fly On The Wall" is junk.

anyone else think james labrie should be the new frontman for AC/DC?

Labrie and AC/DC go together like cocaine and waffles.

Brian is awesome.

Rod! You are hilarious! While I don't agree with you at all about BJ, I love your "cocaine and waffles" comment.

That will be the title of my new poem! LOL!

• Like 1

Brian is awesome.

Rod! You are hilarious! While I don't agree with you at all about BJ, I love your "cocaine and waffles" comment.

It's a line from Talladega Nights, Earl.

• Like 1

It only sounds right in AC/DC

Otherwise he sucks. Not a singer. Not in the least bit.

Edited by Todem

You might want to check out some of his earlier stuff with Geordie.....he was forced to sing in a higher register for AC/DC and that changed the character of his voice....I reckon he's a very good singer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcFSahf0KM8

• Like 1

He's not a good singer technically but he's good at doing what the band needs.

See also: Their drummer, their bassist, etc. Anybody not named Angus I guess haha.

• Like 1

Brian is awesome.

It's a line from Talladega Nights, Earl.

Haha! You got me! I haven't seen that movie in years!

What we think of as "Brian Johnson" is no singer. He is merely a humonculous which the great spirit of Abaddon manipulates as if a marionette to lay waste to the youth of America.

This is one of the best posts ever! I couldn't have typed it better myself.

• Like 1

I love a band called KROKUS. Marc Storace was going to get the job not Brian but Arista Records wouldn't let Marc out of his KROKUS deal.

I met Marc and the band 10 years ago in Reno. My ex wife and I partied with them all night. Great guys. Marc told me right to my face that the story I just told you was true.

Interesting. I'd heard Dan McCafferty from Nazareth was their first choice but he didn't want to leave his band / replace Bon...

That doesn't matter because it's true. I've always kind of wondered what made people dislike Geddys voice and others fall in love with it. There never seems to be a middle ground.

Well, I'm kind of in the middle. I love his voice, except for the shriekiest bits from the Kings/Hemispheres era. I can't believe they actually committed the "torn apaaaaart" thing to vinyl.

You might want to check out some of his earlier stuff with Geordie.....he was forced to sing in a higher register for AC/DC and that changed the character of his voice....I reckon he's a very good singer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcFSahf0KM8

Man, those are some terrible lyrics.

Well, I'm kind of in the middle. I love his voice, except for the shriekiest bits from the Kings/Hemispheres era. I can't believe they actually committed the "torn apaaaaart" thing to vinyl.

Oh man, well that was my favorite era. My first concert was Hemispheres so I'm kind of bias.

• Like 1

Interesting. I'd heard Dan McCafferty from Nazareth was their first choice but he didn't want to leave his band / replace Bon...

Krokus and Nazareth, I spent so much time listening to both these bands back in the day.. Both these guys would've been amazing in AC/DC. Probably better than Johnson.

IMO Brian Johnson gave AC/DC a much more generic sound compared to Bon Scott

• Like 2

I don't get all the Brian Johnson bashing. He was good. And Bon Scott wasn't all that as a singer.

Yeah Bon wasn't exactly prime Ian Gillan or Freddie Mercury.

However Bon was a huge part of AC/DC's early sound and success.

• Like 1